Nvidia Shield (Emby Server) with LG Emby App (Emby Client)

qazwsx10
Go to solution Solved by qazwsx10,

qazwsx10

Good morning!

So for the longest time, my set up has been the following:

• Emby Server: PC with external hard drives
  • Emby Client: Nvidia Shield

But I recently bought an LG OLED C8 that I was planning using as the Emby Client. So I was thinking of changing my set up to the following to reduce power usage:

• Emby Server: Nvidia Shield with external hard drives
  • Emby Client: LG TV

My previous TV was only 1080p, so I didn't have any issues with playing directly on their through my Nvidia Shield, but since my PC uses quite a bit of power, I did consider in the past making my Nvidia Shield both the server and client, but this turned out to be much MUCH slower compared to my PC server and caused my 1080p files to even stutter (high bitrate >25 mbps).

However, if I use the Nvidia Shield as ONLY the server and have the TV as the client, do you know from your experiences if this has had any issues (stutter) or have poor responses times, poor loading times for images etc.? I will now be including 4K content, so I don't know if this would cause any issues either. Before I go through the process of setting up the Nvidia Shield to test again (and spend hours troubleshooting, since I'm relatively new to all of this), I would love to hear what everyone has experienced thus far!

Another important note is that so far I have been the ONLY client and for just this one TV. I may expand to two clients, but both locally in the same house.

Thank you!

Qazwsx10

Edited by qazwsx10

• 2 weeks later...

@@qazwsx10 this sounds like it should be fine. Did you end up trying it out?

@@Luke I did test it! So I have zero playback issues in terms of pausing or stuttering from a server perspective. The only issue I've been trying to figure out is the Nvidia Shield keeps going to sleep about 4-5 minutes into playback.

Here's what always happens:

• I'll wake the Nvidia Shield (consequently the external hard drives start revving up).
  • I'll wake up the TV and open the LG Emby app and start playing one of the movies/TV shows.
  • After 5 minutes the TV will pause and go black and I can see the Nvidia Shield and external drives are in sleep mode.
  • I'll wake the Nvidia Shield by just pressing a button on the controller and go back in the LG Emby app and continue on the movie/TV show. After this, the Nvidia Shield doesn't go back to sleep until I turn off the TV.

I have CEC turned on on the TV and have changed the options within the Nvidia Shield to the following:

• I have the Nvidia Shield set to NEVER to go to sleep via timing out
  • Turn on with the TV (this doesn't occur, but I'm wondering if it is because the input is not the Nvidia Shield when the TV turns on)
  • Go to sleep when the TV is turned off (this works every time)
  • NOT go to sleep when I change the input on the TV

Do you or anyone else have any experience with this? Is there an option to prevent the Nvidia Shield from going to sleep when the Emby Server on it is running?

Edited by qazwsx10

Can you configure the Shield system settings to avoid having it sleep?

I have to look up the specific option I selected when I get home later today, but under the screensaver menu there is a tab for sleeping, and I selected for it to never sleep.

Do you know if the logs when it disconnects would be useful for me to post?

On the Shield, we don't actually have any sleep prevention built into the server at this time. That means you will need to configure it in Shield system settings or this could happen. It's something we will address though and embed into the server.

• Solution

On the Shield, we don't actually have any sleep prevention built into the server at this time. That means you will need to configure it in Shield system settings or this could happen. It's something we will address though and embed into the server.

Finally figured it out! This may be helpful if anyone else is running into this issue:

To prevent it from shutting off, change the screensaver option to "Colors" instead of "Turn off screen". I thought turning off the screen would have no impact since it was a different input, but I guess it translates over.