How much empty space should you leave on each hard drive?

qazwsx10
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

qazwsx10

Relatively straightforward question, but I wasn't sure if I should leave a certain percent or amount of space empty on each hard drive for Emby?

Of my first 8TB (7.27TB usable) external, I'm coming close to filling it up. I have a little less than 1TB of space left, but I feel like I will be able to fill that up in the next few days. For general hard drive use, I have read I should keep at minimum  5% empty (so about 360GB in my situation).

• Solution

Hi, it really depends on what you are having Emby do with those drives. Using the server's default settings, you don't need to allocate any space on your media drives specifically for Emby. It just depends on what features you have enabled that will require space.

Does this help?

• Like 1

qazwsx10

Hi, it really depends on what you are having Emby do with those drives. Using the server's default settings, you don't need to allocate any space on your media drives specifically for Emby. It just depends on what features you have enabled that will require space.

Does this help?

That helps a ton! The only other content I have on the external is that Emby puts subtitles and the rest of the metadata there (e.g., images). Of the over 6TB content used so far, Emby has put less than 1GB of additional content. So I believe I should be in the clear to continue to fill it up.