Error playing video through web client

Zxian

Zxian

Media Browser Server version: 3.0.5238.39498

Host OS: Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit)

I'm getting an error when trying to play a particular video through the web client. The file plays correctly using Media Browser Theatre as well as navigating to the file path and playing it with MPC-HC (Lav filters). 

Below is a link to the transcode log for playing this file. This is the only file I've encountered that causes this issue.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Media Browser Server with no effect.

http://paste2.org/pYOkbD34

HumanPanda

I have the same problem in that if I try playing any video in Chrome I get.

Video Error
There was an error playing the video.

Firefox works fine though.

wraslor

I was getting the same issue, uninstalled and reinstalled the server and it seemed to have fixed it but today it's back.  It seems to be random some play some don't  Tried both IE and Chrome.

Sven

IE is a known problem. It should work in Chrome & Firefox.

Edited by Sven

Zxian

The error happens on my Chrome browser using Windows 7 SP1 x64. Chrome version 35.0.1916.114 m.

I also own a Chromebook, so using Firefox is not an option on that system. :P

Sven

Could you post your logs? I only see 1 log. But that's not everything i suppose.

Zxian

Which other logs would you like? 

Here's an excerpt from the server log that may help shed some light.

http://paste2.org/IEYYapvZ

It seems to lose a connection to the source media. The file can be played normally from the system running MBS using Windows Media Player or MPC-HC, so I don't think it's a permissions issue.

DGMayor

Having the same issue, also on Chrome.  Some videos work, some don't.  I'll have to wait until I get home to get a log though.

Just installed Firefox on my work machine and the same file ran fine.

Edited by DGMayor

Which other logs would you like? 

Here's an excerpt from the server log that may help shed some light.

http://paste2.org/IEYYapvZ

It seems to lose a connection to the source media. The file can be played normally from the system running MBS using Windows Media Player or MPC-HC, so I don't think it's a permissions issue.

we also need the ffmpeg encoding logs. thanks.

andrewm30

I am also having this problem.(posted in the other thread but thought this might be helpful here as well)

However I did some further testing:

Chrome 31.x works fine - no problems playing any of the files.

Chrome 35 - crashes on most files - beta version 36 will play some - but if it errors out at any point - you have to clear the browsing history,app data, then it will play  until the next crash

Firefox latest version plays everything fine.

Seems to be an issue with Chrome in some way.

Zxian

My original post has an ffmpeg encoding log in the paste2 link. Do you need another one? If so, I can try to get one later tonight.

Thanks!

My original post has an ffmpeg encoding log in the paste2 link. Do you need another one? If so, I can try to get one later tonight.

Thanks!

Can you go to advanced -> transcoding and turn on ffmpeg debug logging? thanks.

I am also having this problem.(posted in the other thread but thought this might be helpful here as well)

However I did some further testing:

Chrome 31.x works fine - no problems playing any of the files.

Chrome 35 - crashes on most files - beta version 36 will play some - but if it errors out at any point - you have to clear the browsing history,app data, then it will play  until the next crash

Firefox latest version plays everything fine.

Seems to be an issue with Chrome in some way.

Please supply more information.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

kevinmd88

I've been having this same issue. At first it started out where the iPad app couldn't play the videos when transcoded/streamed - it would just sit there at the 0:00 mark and not do anything, I even waited about an hour one time for the video to load and it never did. It *seemed* intermittent but eventually it ceased to work at all.

At that point I started using the web client to playback video on my laptop instead. After a handful of successful video plays it started giving the Unable to play the video file error that others mentioned here. Intermittent at first - sometimes it would work, others it wouldn't. And now it can no longer play anything whatsoever, giving that error every time on every video.

So I decided to look at the logs. I found the following entries:

2014-06-04 02:20:57.0725 Error - App: Error streaming media

The specified network name is no longer available
System.Net.HttpListenerException
  at System.Net.HttpResponseStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
  at System.IO.Stream.<BeginEndWriteAsync>b__17(Stream stream, IAsyncResult asyncResult)
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncTrimPromise`1.Complete(TInstance thisRef, Func`3 endMethod, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at System.IO.Stream.<CopyToAsyncInternal>d__2.MoveNext()
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.Progressive.ProgressiveStreamWriter.<StreamFile>d__3.MoveNext()
  at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.Progressive.ProgressiveStreamWriter.<WriteToAsync>d__0.MoveNext()

2014-06-04 02:20:57.0755 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to 64.134.180.23:52805. Response time: 892.0511 ms
Url: http://[mydomain]:53153/mediabrowser/Videos/11079a61f75fe299a4804264857bbf45/stream.webm?audioChannels=2&SubtitleStreamIndex=&AudioStreamIndex=1&deviceId=d7f2e3eb6aca7660e9bfcee7c6e5813f5b6ca055&Static=false&mediaSourceId=11079a61f75fe299a4804264857bbf45&VideoCodec=vpx&AudioCodec=Vorbis&maxWidth=720&videoBitrate=572000&audioBitrate=128000&EnableAutoStreamCopy=false

I noticed this url in the second entry and saw the HTTP Response 500, which usually indicates a misconfigured script. So I decided to paste the full URL into a browser during an authenticated media browser session and see what happens.

This was the result:

[EDIT]
Using Chrome on Win7 x64 SP1. IE gives same error/behavior.
[/EDIT]

post-342-0-80128300-1401863348_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevinmd88

V0RT3X

Guys, seems like a lot of people are having this same problem. I submitted my post a few days ago about the same thing:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7724-video-error-there-was-an-error-playing-the-video/ 

This is getting pretty bad as now I have dozens of videos with this problem. Worse is the android and iOS client would not even work with these problematic videos. My iOS app crashed to the home screen while trying to open these videos and my android client refused to play. 

Zxian

Fix it as in server-side fix?  :o

Is it related at all to the "Specified network name is no longer available" error that I posted?

V0RT3X

can you dropbox an example file? Thanks.

Everything I have is too big, 4-10GB usually. I'll try to find something small and upload it but it might take a while

V0RT3X

Yours does look a lot like mine with "FFMpeg exited with code -1". The encoder seems to crash. I've reviewed the ffmpeg log but couldn't figure out why it crashed. It just seem to stopped at one point and there was no output as to why it happened. Hopefully the dev can put some additional log output or try catch around these areas and see if we can catch it when it happen

Zxian

http://goo.gl/xyhHLm

The link is to a re-encoded version of the original file that fails for me. This is just the first 5 minutes of the video (~80 MB), but still produces the same issue as described in this entire thread. 

The LibraryMonitor has also shown errors like the following this morning. Not sure if this is a related issue or not:

2014-06-04 11:07:22.8851 Error - LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: \\CORUSCANT\Storage\Videos\Formula 1
	System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception
	No Stack Trace Available

2014-06-04 11:07:22.8851 Error - LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: \\CORUSCANT\Storage\Videos\Movies
	No Stack Trace Available

2014-06-04 11:07:22.8851 Info - LibraryMonitor: Stopping directory watching for path \\CORUSCANT\Storage\Videos\Formula 1
2014-06-04 11:07:22.8851 Error - LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: \\CORUSCANT\Storage\Videos\TV
	No Stack Trace Available

2014-06-04 11:07:22.9008 Info - LibraryMonitor: Stopping directory watching for path \\CORUSCANT\Storage\Videos\TV
2014-06-04 11:07:22.8851 Info - LibraryMonitor: Stopping directory watching for path \\CORUSCANT\Storage\Videos\Movies