Smart Online/Offline Emby Server list

Senna

Senna

Can the "Select Server" list be made smart across all Emby app platforms, so the user can see which Emby Server is Online and Offline before connecting to a Server ?

This applies only to Emby Servers already connected to in the past, so the app can use those server settings, to get the public system info of those Emby servers to populate the Online/Offline Server list.

Now there isn't any indication in the Server list, which one of those, is Online or Offline.

Edit: typo

Edited by Senna

It's not that simple because trying to determine this involves a connection attempt and for offline servers, this could take a long time waiting for a connection attempt to timeout. In order to determine this up front, that would require making these requests which will result in the screen loading significantly slower.

Additionally, what happens if the server is initially offline, you pull up the screen, and then you bring the server online, or vice versa?  If the screen doesn't refresh automatically to indicate the new state, then users are going to report "not working".

In fact, i could see users reporting that they can't connect to their server just because the label says Offline. It says Offline so they don't even try to connect because they think it won't even be possible.

I'm not trying to shoot down the idea as I do think the information would be useful, but it would have to be bullet proof.

Senna

It's not that simple because trying to determine this involves a connection attempt and for offline servers, this could take a long time waiting for a connection attempt to timeout. In order to determine this up front, that would require making these requests which will result in the screen loading significantly slower.

The Server List page should load that page without making connection attempts to the available Servers in that list at first (as it is now), so the page load stays the same as it is currently.

A "Refresh Server List" button on that same Server list page, can than make it a User Action, to populate the Online/Offline Server list.

Additionally, what happens if the server is initially offline, you pull up the screen, and then you bring the server online, or vice versa?  If the screen doesn't refresh automatically to indicate the new state, then users are going to report "not working".

In fact, i could see users reporting that they can't connect to their server just because the label says Offline. It says Offline so they don't even try to connect because they think it won't even be possible.

The "Refresh Server List" button should take care of that, isn't it ?

Sure, it's just that the feature loses some value if it has to be invoked manually.

Also, if the offline label takes 20 seconds to appear, what use will that really be...?

Senna

Also, if the offline label takes 20 seconds to appear, what use will that really be...?

Let's look at it from an other perspective, because in my humble opinion, users are mostly interested to see DIRECTLY, which Emby Server is Online to connect to  :rolleyes: 

And to populate the ONLINE Server List, that shouldn't take 20 seconds when a Emby Server is Online, right ?

Those public system info request, can be done threaded/simultaneously, isn't it ?