Metadata/NFO files on Google Drive

escapist1234

escapist1234

Hi

I've been experimenting with using my Google Drive for storing some of my media. I've been doing this using the Google Drive File Stream program, and pointing Emby to the mounted drive on my Mac. Generally speaking, it has been hit or miss as to whether this works successfully and I'm inclined to ditch this experiment. I've tried Rclone but could not get to grips with it at all and my library is not huge, I just wanted to free up some space on my external HDDs.

The main issue I seem to find is that metadata can take a while to generate (if at all). I have my libraries setup with the Metadata saving in the local movie folders (so I can easily migrate if necessary in the future). But I'd like to understand the behaviours behind this to ensure efficiency. 

I'd sincerely appreciate some input/answers to the following if possible:

1. If I add a movie to my Google Drive and run a library scan, does Emby essentially force the download of the movie to generate the NFO file?

2. Would it be better to add and scan the files on a local directory on my Mac and move the movie and subsequently generated NFO/artwork files to the Google Drive? Or would Emby try and recreate these when it scans the Google Drive source?

3. If I turn off the Local metadata options on my libraries, where does this get stored on my Mac and could I easily access this to copy it/back up?

Hi, for #1, only if you turn on saving nfo files for that library.

For #2 this would definitely help with artwork but it would not prevent the server from resaving the nfo files.

#3, it would be in the emby database and not necessarily easily backed up and restored.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
ggoulet

Hi, for #1, only if you turn on saving nfo files for that library.

For #2 this would definitely help with artwork but it would not prevent the server from resaving the nfo files.

#3, it would be in the emby database and not necessarily easily backed up and restored.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

What is the best place/method to save metadata when mounted through rclone?

I found when I had metadata saved to "local media folders" but the content was mounted on rclone it would be pretty janky with cover art and scene loading. Recently switch to nfo's and unchecked "save to local media folders" option, seems to load miuch faster now.