Integrating With Google Drive

larsonthekidrs

larsonthekidrs

Hello all. I have about 1tb of media (tv shows, movies, etc) saved on my Google drive. I want to use my old Mac mini as my "server" the only thing is I don't want to have all of the media saved on my Mac due to storage restrictions. I want to have all of the media on my Google drive but I want to use the EMBY app to "stream" it. I mainly want this so it can let me sort my media such as playlist and stuff, also keeping track of movies and TV shows I have watched. My main question is will EMBY do all this for me?

larsonthekidrs

Hello all. I have about 1tb of media (tv shows, movies, etc) saved on my Google drive. I want to use my old Mac mini as my "server" the only thing is I don't want to have all of the media saved on my Mac due to storage restrictions. I want to have all of the media on my Google drive but I want to use the EMBY app to "stream" it. I mainly want this so it can let me sort my media such as playlist and stuff, also keeping track of movies and TV shows I have watched. My main question is will EMBY do all this for me?

Hi, is there a way to mount google drive to local storage in MacOS? If so then yes, you could import that local path into Emby Server.

RanmaCanada

There are plenty of applications that let you mount your google drive as an actual drive on your Mac.  Expandrive is just one of many applications that give you these options.

In general it is not a great idea as seeking and load times will increase dramatically, and if google ever decides to delete your drive, all your stuff is gone.  Did something similar back when Amazon had unlimited Amazon drive, and it was great for getting stuff off my system, but the Emby experience severely suffered, and I have fibre.  

jad3675

rclone is that way to go. I have 10TB on my google drive and stream it all from a home-based emby server. No issues with startup time, streaming or anything.

John

• 3 weeks later...
hygorfragass

Jad3675

But this folder you create on your server does not occupy the space of content available in your cloud? On my Linux server I connect the drive however it downloads the available file. And this is consuming my local space. In other words, a file occupies the 2 spaces

hygorfragass

Hi @@Perplexed Thanks for the tip. I did your tutorial and it was very good! However I identified that the rclone supposedly does a "Download" of what it has in my gdrive folder. Cause the use of my local HD, and that for me is not good! My idea would be to get the files from my gdrive just as Windows does with its protocol, the gdrive folder does not take up local space. It just shows a shadow of the file and accesses it when prompted. I want to do the emby to get my folder without going through the local HD.

Perplexed

I don't know why yours would do that, the whole idea of Rclone is to use it as a mount. It behaves like an external drive and doesn't download anything.

Many of us have several TB on Gdrive, works well!

Are you sure it's actually downloading and not just streaming?

Edited by Perplexed

hygorfragass
Thank you for your time. Attached is a print screen of my file server, it shows the space occupied by the rclone sync file. it shows me that it is taking up space. will the rclone have this possibility equal to the

google-drive-ocamlfuse

Specifies whether to directly stream large files, so that they are no longer cached (please note that this does not affect file uploading):

stream_large_files = false

Specifies the threshold (in megabytes) to detect large files:

large_file_threshold_mb = 16

it stream large files. ie it accesses directly and does not "download"

post-487368-0-63598100-1562950311_thumb.png

MSattler

Hi, is there a way to mount google drive to local storage in MacOS? If so then yes, you could import that local path into Emby Server.

There is, you use rclone to go ahead and create a connection to Google Drive.  Preferably, you use Rclone to connect to Google Drive, create a crypt <encrypted drive> so that anyone logging into your Google Drive cannot see what you are storing.  The are some preferred settings you want to use using vfs, which is built into rclone.

You then use rclone via some shell scripts to mount your Google Drive at boot.

I actually currently have all of my 4k content on Google Drive that I can play back with zero issues <do have Gigabit connectivity>.  Playback starts withing 3-7 seconds, and plays back in full HDR.

You can even mount rclone on Android devices if they are rooted.   Currently I have an Nvidia shield, running Plex Server since it's built in, rclone installed, which can mount my Google Drive.  If there is a Android Emby server package I think you could do the same.

• Like 1

Perplexed

Thank you for your time. Attached is a print screen of my file server, it shows the space occupied by the rclone sync file. it shows me that it is taking up space. will the rclone have this possibility equal to the

google-drive-ocamlfuse

https://github.com/astrada/google-drive-ocamlfuse/wiki/Configuration

Specifies whether to directly stream large files, so that they are no longer cached (please note that this does not affect file uploading):

stream_large_files = false

Specifies the threshold (in megabytes) to detect large files:

large_file_threshold_mb = 16

it stream large files. ie it accesses directly and does not "download"

Sorry, I have no idea... You're definitely using your server outside the scope of my project. Also, I fear we're hijacking the original post somewhat, since the TS was asking questions about iOS ;)

Hope you get it sorted!

hygorfragass

Sorry, I have no idea... You're definitely using your server outside the scope of my project. Also, I fear we're hijacking the original post somewhat, since the TS was asking questions about iOS ;)

Hope you get it sorted!

you got it wrong. I use ubuntu 18.04 server in a vps. everything i use is remote! do not be amazed by the mac kkkkk I think we are in the same tuning just I lack some information to hit

Perplexed

Heh, telling people how wrong they are is not going to make them want to help you much :D All jokes aside though, this topic was indeed started by someone wanting to know about setting it up on the Mac. That is why I decided to stop facilitating a hijacking of their question - but by all means, feel free to carry on by yourself!

MSattler

So install rclone on your MAC.

You will need to run rclone config, plenty of how to's out there to help you get to that.

Once you have done that you will need to mount it, the options are important here.   Here is what I use for my linux mount:

/usr/bin/rclone mount \
        --config=/rclone/.config/rclone/rclone.conf \
        --allow-other \
        --allow-non-empty \
        --fast-list \
        --use-mmap \
        --buffer-size=64M \
        --vfs-cache-mode=minimal \
        --vfs-cache-max-size=4G \
        --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M \
        --dir-cache-time=96h \
        --log-level INFO \
        --timeout 1h \
        --log-file /var/log/rclone.log \
        --attr-timeout=1s \
        --umask=002 \
        secure: /mnt/GoogleDrive

secure: would be replaced with whatever you name your remote end in rClone Config.

/mnt/GoogleDrive would be the mount point you want to mount Google Drive to.

Change --config to whereever your rclone config file is.

Cheers!

jad3675

Jad3675

But this folder you create on your server does not occupy the space of content available in your cloud? On my Linux server I connect the drive however it downloads the available file. And this is consuming my local space. In other words, a file occupies the 2 spaces

If you have VFS mode set to 'full', then yes rclone will download the full file before it plays and consume local space. Easy fix is to run rclone's VFS mode in 'write'.

John

• 8 months later...
thegrunge

Hi for the past few days I have had a quota limit imposed by google. So I find myself being blocked for a few hours. I have a 22 TB library. The question I ask myself is how limited the excessive requests that emby makes to google. I deactivate the automatic daily scan, but apart from that or the automatic analysis of new files added I really do not see what I can do.I access my content from emby to google drive with the help of rclone.

I'm on Mac

Thank you

post-177488-0-23159200-1585055707_thumb.png

post-177488-0-92000200-1585055813_thumb.png

Edited by thegrunge

DwarvenLord1

How the heck do you get 22 TB of data into Google Drive?  10TB costs $99.99 a month!!

@Perplexed:

Many of us have several TB on Gdrive, works well!

I know I am hijacking this thread, but... What!?  Surely I am missing something.

• 1 month later...
embysuperman

Man You just need a G Suite Business Plan and Offcloud (Unlimted - 100GB Qouta for all user .. Open Ticket for Room unlimited times) or Premiumize (1TB Bandwidth and 1TB Storage per month) for Remotely Upload any favourite content from  the Web ... Then you have Unlimted G Drive Storage....  Just Download Google Drive File Stream on YOur PC or Mac .... Install it.. You Google Drive as your Local Drive just need internet connection... Unlimted man Really.... then create folders as Niche Content... Then Go to Emby or Jellyfin... add Library and Magic happened.... :)... personal Method I'm super Happy... Just need few bugs to spent.. 

Edited by blackhatvdo

embysuperman

one thing I forget to mention that you need a personal Domain For G Suite Business for Verification and A persona Business Email.. [user@domain.com] and G Suite Business plan somthing Called CloudSearch that find anything from that Account related from Files to Email...

and

alternative option 

If you are Happy with just 1 TB storage .... then go With Premuimize .. you can download and stream directly from there... You Don't need to G Suite or offcloud.... You get both G Drive like personal cloud manage drive on Premiumize which also have Offcloud's features... But remember their fair policy.... 1000Points=1000GB per month... and also if you still need more storage You can Buy G suite... Premiumize also Remote Uploading / downloading features like offcloud..

Premiumize currently not work with Jellyfin or Emby but it have official Plugin for Kodi...

Happy ;)

Edited by blackhatvdo

thegrunge

Yes that's what i do and you don't need to configure rclone it's the best easy way to use G-suite account link to Emby server on windows!

Edited by thegrunge

• 3 weeks later...
Mike_Scott23

Hi all, I have a similar setup on my Windows laptop. Using RClone + encrypt + cache with Gsuite. My movie files all appear on emby but when I create a separate folder containing photos and video clips, Emby doesn't display anything in this folder at all. Can anyone please advise?

Hi all, I have a similar setup on my Windows laptop. Using RClone + encrypt + cache with Gsuite. My movie files all appear on emby but when I create a separate folder containing photos and video clips, Emby doesn't display anything in this folder at all. Can anyone please advise?

Re: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86034-no-photos-shown-when-connected-via-gsuite-drive/?view=findpost&p=880648