• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 larsonthekidrs OFFLINE  

larsonthekidrs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 04:30 PM

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

Hello all. I have about 1tb of media (tv shows, movies, etc) saved on my Google drive. I want to use my old Mac mini as my "server" the only thing is I don't want to have all of the media saved on my Mac due to storage restrictions. I want to have all of the media on my Google drive but I want to use the EMBY app to "stream" it. I mainly want this so it can let me sort my media such as playlist and stuff, also keeping track of movies and TV shows I have watched. My main question is will EMBY do all this for me?

#2 larsonthekidrs OFFLINE  

larsonthekidrs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 04:30 PM

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

Hello all. I have about 1tb of media (tv shows, movies, etc) saved on my Google drive. I want to use my old Mac mini as my "server" the only thing is I don't want to have all of the media saved on my Mac due to storage restrictions. I want to have all of the media on my Google drive but I want to use the EMBY app to "stream" it. I mainly want this so it can let me sort my media such as playlist and stuff, also keeping track of movies and TV shows I have watched. My main question is will EMBY do all this for me?

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131281 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 PM

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:12 AM

Hi, is there a way to mount google drive to local storage in MacOS? If so then yes, you could import that local path into Emby Server.

#4 RanmaCanada OFFLINE  

RanmaCanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:07 AM

There are plenty of applications that let you mount your google drive as an actual drive on your Mac.  Expandrive is just one of many applications that give you these options.

In general it is not a great idea as seeking and load times will increase dramatically, and if google ever decides to delete your drive, all your stuff is gone.  Did something similar back when Amazon had unlimited Amazon drive, and it was great for getting stuff off my system, but the Emby experience severely suffered, and I have fibre.  

#5 jad3675 OFFLINE  

jad3675

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

rclone is that way to go. I have 10TB on my google drive and stream it all from a home-based emby server. No issues with startup time, streaming or anything.

John

#6 hygorfragass OFFLINE  

hygorfragass

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

Jad3675

But this folder you create on your server does not occupy the space of content available in your cloud? On my Linux server I connect the drive however it downloads the available file. And this is consuming my local space. In other words, a file occupies the 2 spaces

#7 Perplexed OFFLINE  

Perplexed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 PM

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

Hi @hygorfragass, thanks for your private message - might be easier to just answer you here :)

Not sure what I can do for you but check out my Linux project: https://www.techperplexed.ga - it will allow you to stream your movies from Gdrive without downloading them first.

#8 hygorfragass OFFLINE  

hygorfragass

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

Hi @Perplexed Thanks for the tip. I did your tutorial and it was very good! However I identified that the rclone supposedly does a "Download" of what it has in my gdrive folder. Cause the use of my local HD, and that for me is not good! My idea would be to get the files from my gdrive just as Windows does with its protocol, the gdrive folder does not take up local space. It just shows a shadow of the file and accesses it when prompted. I want to do the emby to get my folder without going through the local HD.

#9 Perplexed OFFLINE  

Perplexed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:42 PM

I don't know why yours would do that, the whole idea of Rclone is to use it as a mount. It behaves like an external drive and doesn't download anything.

Many of us have several TB on Gdrive, works well!

Are you sure it's actually downloading and not just streaming?

Edited by Perplexed, 12 July 2019 - 12:04 AM.

#10 hygorfragass OFFLINE  

hygorfragass

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:51 PM

Thank you for your time. Attached is a print screen of my file server, it shows the space occupied by the rclone sync file. it shows me that it is taking up space. will the rclone have this possibility equal to the

google-drive-ocamlfuse

Specifies whether to directly stream large files, so that they are no longer cached (please note that this does not affect file uploading):

stream_large_files = false
Specifies the threshold (in megabytes) to detect large files:

large_file_threshold_mb = 16

it stream large files. ie it accesses directly and does not "download"

Attached Files

#11 MSattler OFFLINE  

MSattler

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1458 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

Hi, is there a way to mount google drive to local storage in MacOS? If so then yes, you could import that local path into Emby Server.

There is, you use rclone to go ahead and create a connection to Google Drive.  Preferably, you use Rclone to connect to Google Drive, create a crypt <encrypted drive> so that anyone logging into your Google Drive cannot see what you are storing.  The are some preferred settings you want to use using vfs, which is built into rclone.

You then use rclone via some shell scripts to mount your Google Drive at boot.

I actually currently have all of my 4k content on Google Drive that I can play back with zero issues <do have Gigabit connectivity>.  Playback starts withing 3-7 seconds, and plays back in full HDR.

You can even mount rclone on Android devices if they are rooted.   Currently I have an Nvidia shield, running Plex Server since it's built in, rclone installed, which can mount my Google Drive.  If there is a Android Emby server package I think you could do the same.

• CBers likes this

#12 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131281 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the info.

#13 Perplexed OFFLINE  

Perplexed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

Thank you for your time. Attached is a print screen of my file server, it shows the space occupied by the rclone sync file. it shows me that it is taking up space. will the rclone have this possibility equal to the

google-drive-ocamlfuse
https://github.com/a...i/Configuration

Specifies whether to directly stream large files, so that they are no longer cached (please note that this does not affect file uploading):

stream_large_files = false
Specifies the threshold (in megabytes) to detect large files:

large_file_threshold_mb = 16

it stream large files. ie it accesses directly and does not "download"

Sorry, I have no idea... You're definitely using your server outside the scope of my project. Also, I fear we're hijacking the original post somewhat, since the TS was asking questions about iOS ;)

Hope you get it sorted!

#14 hygorfragass OFFLINE  

hygorfragass

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:00 PM

Sorry, I have no idea... You're definitely using your server outside the scope of my project. Also, I fear we're hijacking the original post somewhat, since the TS was asking questions about iOS ;)

Hope you get it sorted!

you got it wrong. I use ubuntu 18.04 server in a vps. everything i use is remote! do not be amazed by the mac kkkkk I think we are in the same tuning just I lack some information to hit

#15 Perplexed OFFLINE  

Perplexed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

Heh, telling people how wrong they are is not going to make them want to help you much :D All jokes aside though, this topic was indeed started by someone wanting to know about setting it up on the Mac. That is why I decided to stop facilitating a hijacking of their question - but by all means, feel free to carry on by yourself!

#16 MSattler OFFLINE  

MSattler

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1458 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:06 PM

So install rclone on your MAC.

You will need to run rclone config, plenty of how to's out there to help you get to that.

Once you have done that you will need to mount it, the options are important here.   Here is what I use for my linux mount:

/usr/bin/rclone mount \
        --config=/rclone/.config/rclone/rclone.conf \
        --allow-other \
        --allow-non-empty \
        --fast-list \
        --use-mmap \
        --buffer-size=64M \
        --vfs-cache-mode=minimal \
        --vfs-cache-max-size=4G \
        --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M \
        --dir-cache-time=96h \
        --log-level INFO \
        --timeout 1h \
        --log-file /var/log/rclone.log \
        --attr-timeout=1s \
        --umask=002 \
        secure: /mnt/GoogleDrive

secure: would be replaced with whatever you name your remote end in rClone Config.

/mnt/GoogleDrive would be the mount point you want to mount Google Drive to.

Change --config to whereever your rclone config file is.

Cheers!

#17 jad3675 OFFLINE  

jad3675

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:31 PM

Jad3675

But this folder you create on your server does not occupy the space of content available in your cloud? On my Linux server I connect the drive however it downloads the available file. And this is consuming my local space. In other words, a file occupies the 2 spaces

If you have VFS mode set to 'full', then yes rclone will download the full file before it plays and consume local space. Easy fix is to run rclone's VFS mode in 'write'.

John

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: google drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users