chudak

chudak

Hello all

I can become emby user as:

sudo su -s /bin/bash emby

Does this use have a default password ?

Thx

alucryd

The emby user is a system user, it does not have nor need a password.

chudak

How does assigning a password change anything?

I duno!

Just say it’s ok or not

What about default password, does it have one ?

When emby first installed, does it create a user without password ?

Edited by chudak

alucryd

If the emby user does not have a password, I believe it also means it does not have a default password and it is created without one, don't you think? I fail to see why you'd want to add a password to that user, but sure, go ahead. Now I suggest you do some rtfm on linux permissions and samba mounts, especially the part where you can override the samba mount user and group.

chudak

Have a look over here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently, see the uid and gid parameters.

Thanks for your answers !

I do use is as:

... cifs guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=1.0

and emby used to write subs just fine.  Obviously something changed and it's having troubles now.

alucryd

Guest mode? Are you sure anonymous has write access to that folder on your nas, did you change something over there, is there space left on the device? It doesn't matter what permissions you give the mount locally if the remote user you're using doesn't have the necessary permissions and can't write at all because of something else. Also version 1.0 of the cifs protocol is very, very old and crappy, please have a look at what your nas offers and use something higher if possible.

chudak

Guest mode? Are you sure anonymous has write access to that folder on your nas, did you change something over there, is there space left on the device? It doesn't matter what permissions you give the mount locally if the remote user you're using doesn't have the necessary permissions and can't write at all because of something else. Also version 1.0 of the cifs protocol is very, very old and crappy, please have a look at what your nas offers and use something higher if possible.

@@alucryd

FYI https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73236-0-byte-file-size-subtitles/page-2&do=findComment&comment=746325

• 3 years later...
DevoteeOfEmby

Hi Team. I am being asked for a password to su to emby.  I have some stuff not being seen in the same directory as stuff that is seen and I wanted to see if I have read access as emby. I used setfacl to set the permissions for the emby user already.

44 minutes ago, DevoteeOfEmby said:

Hi Team. I am being asked for a password to su to emby.  I have some stuff not being seen in the same directory as stuff that is seen and I wanted to see if I have read access as emby. I used setfacl to set the permissions for the emby user already.

HI, have you taken a look at this?

Q-Droid
58 minutes ago, DevoteeOfEmby said:

See first post to become user emby.

• Thanks 1

kwirky88

You need to ensure the mounts are owned by the emby user and group.  To mount as a user, you need to use CIFS 3.0. I recommend not having writeable guest shares because your data can get locked up by randsomware on any device on your network, protect them with user/pass.  Here are instructions to do all of that:

First, determine the uid and groupid of your emby user:

# Get the emby user's uid:
id -u emby
# Get the emby user's gid:
id -g emby

In my example, my emby user was uid 1000, and my emby gid was also 1000.  Your's may be different.

Then create mount directories for your shares and chown them to emby.  Examples of my own commands:

# make the directories and give permission for emby to manipulate them
mkdir -p /mnt/movies
chown emby:emby /mnt/movies
mkdir -p /mnt/tv_shows
chown emby:emby /mnt/tv_shows
mkdir -p /mnt/Music
chown emby:emby /mnt/Music
mkdir -p /mnt/EmbyData
chown emby:emby /mnt/EmbyData

If you've already created your mount locations, check that they're the right ownership by using ls -lha.  Example:

# this will show all the owners of directories and files in my /mnt directory:
ls -lha /mnt

Here's an example of my own /etc/fstab on Ubuntu 20.04.  Make sure your uid and gid matches the values you determined above.  Also, use cifs version 3 so that it can be mounted as a particular user (that's missing in your fstab example above):

//192.168.10.122/movies /mnt/movies cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.credentials,guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
//192.168.10.122/tv_shows /mnt/tv_shows cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.credentials,guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
//192.168.10.122/Music /mnt/Music cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.credentials,guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0
//192.168.10.122/EmbyData /mnt/EmbyData cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/root/.credentials,guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

A text file located at /root/.credentials is like follows, with the user-pass for the network share. I store mine in the /root directory so that regular user can't know the credentials::

username=YOUR_USERNAME
password=YOUR_PASSWORD_FOR_SHARE

I use a synology NAS, so I needed to make sure that the username configured in /root/.credentials exists, and that each of the shares is accessible by the given samba user.  The NAS user needs read/write access so it can write metadata to the media directories.

Finally, run the following:

# Mount all the shares right away, defined in /etc/fstab. This will be automatic next reboot.
sudo mount -a

Troubleshooting:

Ensure you have samba-common installed:

# ensure samba-common is installed so that samba mounts can be performed
sudo apt-get install samba-common

Test your mounts manually with smblclient, with increased verbosity, to find out what's going wrong when mounting them.  Documentation on smbclient.

Edited by kwirky88
  • Thanks 2