0 byte file size subtitles !?

chudak

chudak

I use  Addic7ed and opensubtitles.org and lately noticed that Emby (on ubuntu) downloads  0 byte file size subtitles.

Wondering if anybody has seen and fixed this issue?

Very annoying !

Thx

CC @@Luke

They could have changed their limits. Look in your log for anything indicating 403/501 for the subtitle fetches. The server should know not to do this, but it may have the wrong quota for fetches per interval. It might think it is okay to fetch 30 times in 2 hours. When now it is 20 times. The extra 10 would not know there is no data as it opens/closes the file handler. You would in effect simply be getting what "touch" does and create a file or modify the timestamp. If you exceed limits repeatedly they may place an entire lock on your IP to stop your abuse. They figure you have a malconfigured client or are just an abusive pest. That lock will lift eventually. That lock will show as 503.

The first thing to do would be look at the log. Permissions wouldn't cause this as you wouldn't get the file to begin with. The fact it is empty might be an execute permission missing. That could cause the missing data.. maybe.. Probably not though. The +x so you gain the ability to execute files and enter subdirs. You probably have that or it wouldn't have saved the file to begin with.

My thought is quota limits changed and Emby just needs to input these new values. The simplest answer is usually correct.

Edited by speechles

chudak

@@Luke Did you find any clues from the log?

So it's broken in 4.1.1.0

I wonder if it's safe to  downgrade to the older version?

Edited by chudak

I don't see anything obvious, I also don't think downgrading will make any difference. I don't believe there's any widespread problem, it seems to be working fine in my testing.

Have you run a disk scan to check your hard disk for errors?

• 2 weeks later...
chudak

I still see the problem.

Wonder if anybody can walk me thru how subtitles work in Emby?

What is in /var/lib/emby/data/subtitles/ what is in media folder?

Whats happens is not plugins are used?

What if  Addic7ed and Opensubtitles used ?

Thx in advakce!

@@Luke maybe, pls :)

chudak

Corresponding error in the log when Emby is downloading 0 file size subtitle file say: 

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/media/seagatecentral/Public/Videos/<NAME>/<NAME>.bif' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

Dir permissions show: 

# owner: user

# group: user
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::rwx

Anybody knows whats wrong be able to create a file?
MKV file was added without problems into the same folder !
Edited by chudak

Is there a sub-process getting those for Emby? Would they fall into the other? The other is obviously where you don't allow write access. It has to be this. It can create the file. It is there. You see it. It exists. The issue is whatever was trying to write into it failed with that permission error. Otherwise it wouldn't have even created the file handle to begin with and written it.

chudak

Is there a sub-process getting those for Emby? Would they fall into the other? The other is obviously where you don't allow write access. It has to be this. It can create the file. It is there. You see it. It exists. The issue is whatever was trying to write into it failed with that permission error. Otherwise it wouldn't have even created the file handle to begin with and written it.

You are right if file was created then something else is going on.  Not sure about sub-processes yet.

On my library settings level I clearly see option selected "Save subtitles into media folders"

After manually removing subs from media filed and also from "/var/lib/emby/metadata/library/88/88c07a75c2b9c85a932fe449fc57caeaK" folder and after running library scan i see 

0 file subs size in the media folder and good subs file in "/var/lib/emby/metadata/library/88/XXX"

But why ?

and why "Save subtitles into media folders" does not seem to be doing what is says it should be doing ?

Q-Droid

Corresponding error in the log when Emby is downloading 0 file size subtitle file say: 

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/media/seagatecentral/Public/Videos/<NAME>/<NAME>.bif' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

Dir permissions show: 

Anybody knows whats wrong be able to create a file?
MKV file was added without problems into the same folder !

Was the mkv file added by the Emby server? The user has to be able to navigate the path from /media to Videos/ so even if the bif file itself has the right permissions the Emby server has to be able to reach it.

The other log shows it timing out on opensubtitles. Connectivity?

Addic7ed is in limbo right now. The plug-in doesn't work for many and Luke is waiting for them to release their API before he can overhaul the plug-in.

chudak

Was the mkv file added by the Emby server? The user has to be able to navigate the path from /media to Videos/ so even if the bif file itself has the right permissions the Emby server has to be able to reach it.

Yes, was added by Emby

The other log shows it timing out on opensubtitles. Connectivity?

I can browser and login to  opensubtitles, what esle?

Addic7ed is in limbo right now. The plug-in doesn't work for many and Luke is waiting for them to release their API before he can overhaul the plug-in.

That's good to know, I actually added it to help fix the issue.

And BTW subs were downloading fine till recently, suspecting l=maybe last 2 upgrades maybe... 

Q-Droid

Does the manual search for subs from the title or episode give any results? Just the search, not download. Also check the log after a search to see if it's able to connect.

chudak

Does the manual search for subs from the title or episode give any results? Just the search, not download. Also check the log after a search to see if it's able to connect.

oh yes, im far passed this point 

Q-Droid

So if you manually search and download the result is the same, empty files? I guess you could try SubDB though that's not a fix but just to confirm that there might be a bug is this release.

chudak

Whatever this is - it is related to "Save subtitles into media folders"

When this option is enabled, Emby writes a 0 size subs file into the media folder and keeps/add subs on scan in  "/var/lib/emby/metadata/library/xxx" folder

@@Luke FYI

This is probably tied to your permissions problem being discussed elsewhere.

chudak

This is probably tied to your permissions problem being discussed elsewhere.

If this is the case and I have these:

Tell me then:

- what's wrong with those permissions

- how come emby has no problems with any files in the same dirs and writes 0 size files for subs ?

chudak

@Luke 

I have to admit that it is permissions issue!

(Sharing details for benefits of the group)

​((Why this is actually happening, what caused it, why emby can create file but can't write to it - kill me,  I don't know.

Hoping some ubuntu permissions experts read this and know the clues.))

The way I tested that this is related to permissions:

logged as emby user (sudo su -s /bin/bash emby)

created a new test dir in /var/lib/emby/metadata/library/ and copied a media file there

downloaded subs via Emby UI and confirmed a normal size file was added 

I guess now the question is what to do about it?

Option 1:

change permission to correct values (read above) - open question is how?

(I see now on problematic drive permissions

drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody nogroup

and as emby user

drwxr-xr-x   4 emby emby!

)

Option 2:

I have all my media dirs/files are stored on Seagate Central drive connected via samba mount.

I was thinking that if I add a user 'emby' to it with admin rights that can fix the issue.

Now

- what is emby default password ?  (see https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73779-emby-user-password-on-ubuntu/)

- if I change emby user password - is it safe?  @@Like?

Thx all for participating I think it might be useful to others at some point !

Edited by chudak

I've updated the server to not leave 0 byte files behind in the event of failure. Or rather, it will try to delete it, hopefully permissions won't cause that to fail as well and then leave waste behind.

chudak

I've updated the server to not leave 0 byte files behind in the event of failure. Or rather, it will try to delete it, hopefully permissions won't cause that to fail as well and then leave waste behind.

Good it will help avoid undesirable crashes caused by this, thx

chudak

@@Luke

Additional data point.

Here is what I tried - used Kodi to play a video from the same location, same permissions etc.

And Kodi had NO problems to download and save subs into the media folder.

Do you still believe this is not Emby issue ?

alucryd

Is kodi on the same machine as emby? Is kodi launched as your user or as emby?

chudak

Is kodi on the same machine as emby? Is kodi launched as your user or as emby?

Kodi and emby are on different machines

Not sure about user

But they both read/write to/from same samba data storage