45 replies to this topic

#21 yarez0 OFFLINE  

yarez0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 12:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

Just test folder sync and mobile version through LG tv emby app, 720 4 Mb version

Both direct stream auto, force 4 Mb 720 also direct stream but notice Near 2 sec delay on subtitles (vvt).

Forcing bitrate from 5 to 10 Mb do not delay subtitles

Both version have sub delay

#22 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 AM

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:42 AM

Ok thanks, I'm looking into that.

#23 gnc20 OFFLINE  

gnc20

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

if the device need transcode ==> transcode the lower resolution
mobile version is only for users who want to direct stream, but they have to choose it before starting the stream Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

Edited by gnc20, 16 June 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#24 red_ OFFLINE  

red_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 01:13 PM

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:03 PM

Just to come back to the first question of this topic, the question why I created it:

Is it possible to implement the same "rules" for the download functionally as the stream functionally?

I don't want my server to transcode any video, because it doesn't have to. For each movie there is a version that will play on all devices already. It's 720p h264 with stereo aac audio. So the download functionally only needs to respect the selected movie version in the app.

An extra option to only transcode audio (like which is available with streaming as well) could be handy though, some apple devices have trouble with AC3 or aac5.1. but still I want the video to be untouched in this case..

Reason: if we're leaving for holidays it's nearly impossible to all make our favourite movies/tvshows offline available! It takes too long for everything to be transcoded etc. And that's annoying because if we all stream our content everting is directplay/stream or maybe one audio transcoding.

Would something like this be possible?
  • MndWrp and VirgilFox like this

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

Just to come back to the first question of this topic, the question why I created it:

Is it possible to implement the same "rules" for the download functionally as the stream functionally?

I don't want my server to transcode any video, because it doesn't have to. For each movie there is a version that will play on all devices already. It's 720p h264 with stereo aac audio. So the download functionally only needs to respect the selected movie version in the app.

An extra option to only transcode audio (like which is available with streaming as well) could be handy though, some apple devices have trouble with AC3 or aac5.1. but still I want the video to be untouched in this case..

Reason: if we're leaving for holidays it's nearly impossible to all make our favourite movies/tvshows offline available! It takes too long for everything to be transcoded etc. And that's annoying because if we all stream our content everting is directplay/stream or maybe one audio transcoding.

Would something like this be possible?

Hi, all you need to do is select original quality when using the download feature, and that's what it will do.

#26 red_ OFFLINE  

red_

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:23 PM

No, it will not do.

As explained before I've two versions for each movie. Which is selectable by clicking on the preferred "version" on the movies main page. If you play (stream) the movie, it respect the version I selected. If I press download, it'll do some magic I don't want it to do and randomly chooses one of the two versions.

If you don't understand it, you can read my first post. If you still don't get it please try to explain which part you don't get so I can try to explain that part more clearly.

I'm on holiday now, annoyed that I can't download my 720p AAC version but instead it always tries to download the 1080p DD5.1 version which takes way too long and uses way too much space on my phone.
  • VirgilFox likes this

#27 VirgilFox OFFLINE  

VirgilFox

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

No, it will not do.

As explained before I've two versions for each movie. Which is selectable by clicking on the preferred "version" on the movies main page. If you play (stream) the movie, it respect the version I selected. If I press download, it'll do some magic I don't want it to do and randomly chooses one of the two versions.

If you don't understand it, you can read my first post. If you still don't get it please try to explain which part you don't get so I can try to explain that part more clearly.

I'm on holiday now, annoyed that I can't download my 720p AAC version but instead it always tries to download the 1080p DD5.1 version which takes way too long and uses way too much space on my phone.

Yes, this describes my problem as well -- trying to download the smaller version of the same video when away from home... this is a big problem because I only have 1.5 MBps upload at home so when I 'download', it always selects the huge, original version which takes forever to pull down to my phone. It would be so much handier to download the selected version (which, in my case, would be the smaller version).

#28 yarez0 OFFLINE  

yarez0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

Yes, this describes my problem as well -- trying to download the smaller version of the same video when away from home... this is a big problem because I only have 1.5 MBps upload at home so when I 'download', it always selects the huge, original version which takes forever to pull down to my phone. It would be so much handier to download the selected version (which, in my case, would be the smaller version).

same here, I reported subtitles problem because I notice this problem while Luke ask me to do some tests but the first issue here is to select the version we want to download on our device.

i don't have upload limitation but device space limitation but the "problem" is the same

#29 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:07 PM

No, it will not do.

Right but it should choose the most appropriate version based on your download settings.

#30 red_ OFFLINE  

red_

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:12 AM

Luke, what do you mean with download settings? As far as I know there are no download settings if you turned of "Allow media download and syncing that required transcoding".

If you press download it'll just start downloading (a random version).

If you enable "Allow media download and syncing that required transcoding" you get the option to choose some bitrate. But then again it'll randomly start transcoding something (audio, video or both) instead of just downloading the selected version.

5d1cb7bbb0234_Schermafbeelding20190703om

#31 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

Luke, what do you mean with download settings? As far as I know there are no download settings if you turned of "Allow media download and syncing that required transcoding".

If you press download it'll just start downloading (a random version).

If you enable "Allow media download and syncing that required transcoding" you get the option to choose some bitrate. But then again it'll randomly start transcoding something (audio, video or both) instead of just downloading the selected version.

5d1cb7bbb0234_Schermafbeelding20190703om

Hi there, please go over a specific example by seeing how to report a problem. thanks.

#32 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47409 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

Hi there, please go over a specific example by seeing how to report a problem. thanks.

Hi. And please create a new topic in the appropriate forum.

Thanks!

#33 VirgilFox OFFLINE  

VirgilFox

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

Right but it should choose the most appropriate version based on your download settings.

I'm seeing this happen correctly  -- when I'm outside my home network and relying on the very limited upload bandwidth constraining my Emby server's ability to stream content.

However, when I select "Download to..." in the Android Mobile app and select my phone (or Google Drive and select 'Original'), the large original file always begins downloading, not my alternative HEVC encoded version which is automatically selected in the version menu... is this normal/correct behavior? I'd prefer the app downloaded the version automatically selected for me in the version menu (which saves me a lot of time when I'm away from home).

Is there any way to "Download" (without conversion) an alternative version (of a video) using the Emby app for Android phones?

#34 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:37 PM

However, when I select "Download to..." in the Android Mobile app and select my phone (or Google Drive and select 'Original'), the large original file always begins downloading, not my alternative HEVC encoded version which is automatically selected in the version menu... is this normal/correct behavior? I'd prefer the app downloaded the version automatically selected for me in the version menu (which saves me a lot of time when I'm away from home).

Make sure to specify the quality in the dialog popup and then it should work.

#35 VirgilFox OFFLINE  

VirgilFox

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

Make sure to specify the quality in the dialog popup and then it should work.

In the Android phone app, when I select "Download to...", and select my phone from the popup list, no quality dialog pops up and I have no way to select a quality level (unless I select Google Drive, then I get a 'Profile' menu with one choice: 'Original'). This is on version 3.0.81 and I have "Allow media downloading and syncing requiring transcoding" unchecked for my user. 

So, I'm still unable to download the alternate version (a smaller sized HEVC encoded version that I encoded with HandBrake) to my phone - the large original version (the original DVD ripped MPEG2 file) always begins downloading.

What am I doing wrong?

#36 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

In the Android phone app, when I select "Download to...", and select my phone from the popup list, no quality dialog pops up and I have no way to select a quality level (unless I select Google Drive, then I get a 'Profile' menu with one choice: 'Original'). This is on version 3.0.81 and I have "Allow media downloading and syncing requiring transcoding" unchecked for my user. 

That is the popup. The quality is right there in that dialog. Since you disabled that option, that's why it's hidden.

#37 VirgilFox OFFLINE  

VirgilFox

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

That is the popup. The quality is right there in that dialog. Since you disabled that option, that's why it's hidden.

I reenabled that option then made sure my HEVC version of the video was selected and then chose "Download to...". Then I selected my phone, and chose 'Original' in the quality pop-up. It still downloads the original 1419MB version instead of the smaller 205MB HEVC version.

(I'm trying to get the HEVC version to download to my phone)

#38 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:05 PM

I reenabled that option then made sure my HEVC version of the video was selected and then chose "Download to...". Then I selected my phone, and chose 'Original' in the quality pop-up. It still downloads the original 1419MB version instead of the smaller 205MB HEVC version.

(I'm trying to get the HEVC version to download to my phone)

It doesn't work like that. It's selected based on the quality chosen. If you were to pick a quality in between, then most likely you'd see the smaller one downloaded.

#39 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12536 posts
  • Local time: 03:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:47 AM

I just tested to this. You have to choose video/file size and not the actual bitrate. I can post more details, later.

#40 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 PM

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:16 PM

I have to agree with the OP on this one.  I don't use versions for different qualities/codecs, I use it for different versions of the movie - i.e. theatrical, directors cut, final cut, open matte, Once upon a Deadpool etc...  To have all these in collections would make a mess of my collections as all my collections are collections of different movies (e.g. sequels or dvd boxsets or by director), not collections of the different versions of the same movie.  So, while I don't use the download feature for movies, it would be nice to be able to choose exactly which version I'd like to download (if I ever do).

• red_ likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: download, sync, movie version, version, premiere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users