EMBY stops during playback

AJAYS

Itrocan

Seeing the same issue, occurs with both audio(flac) and video(h264 encoded mkv).

FreeNAS server 11.2 release with emby 3.5.2.0 (11.2-RELEASE-p4 plugin)

Linux client with firefox 66.0.1

Certain files will stop or stall at reliably specific points, I can just skip over those segments and continue.  I first thought it was a corrupted file but downloading directly from the source didn't have any sort of playback error.  Accessing the media url via Inspect Element and stalling still occurs.  Odd bit, I let a music file stay stuck (at the 4:13 mark for a 6:10 track) and roughly 5 minutes later it resumed

I saw this log entry which the time value was unusually large:

Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 206 to 192.168.1.122. Time: 259887ms. http://192.168.1.219:8096/emby/Audio/216373c7cbc4b8ebedc20acd4ec6b49b/universal?UserId=b9bfa51570e0481194d60263b98eb716&DeviceId=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFgxMTsgVWJ1bnR1OyBMaW51eCB4ODZfNjQ7IHJ2OjYyLjApIEdlY2tvLzIwMTAwMTAxIEZpcmVmb3gvNjIuMHwxNTM5NTc4ODAyNTkw&MaxStreamingBitrate=140000000&Container=opus,mp3|mp3,aac,m4a|aac,flac,webma,webm,wav,ogg&TranscodingContainer=ts&TranscodingProtocol=hls&AudioCodec=aac&PlaySessionId=1558338251265&StartTimeTicks=0&EnableRedirection=true&EnableRemoteMedia=false
Edited by Itrocan
  • Like 1

parasven

Seeing the same issue, occurs with both audio(flac) and video(h264 encoded mkv).

FreeNAS server 11.2 release with emby 3.5.2.0 (11.2-RELEASE-p4 plugin)

Linux client with firefox 66.0.1

Certain files will stop or stall at reliably specific points, I can just skip over those segments and continue.  I first thought it was a corrupted file but downloading directly from the source didn't have any sort of playback error.  Accessing the media url via Inspect Element and stalling still occurs.  Odd bit, I let a music file stay stuck (at the 4:13 mark for a 6:10 track) and roughly 5 minutes later it resumed

I saw this log entry which the time value was unusually large:

Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 206 to 192.168.1.122. Time: 259887ms. http://192.168.1.219:8096/emby/Audio/216373c7cbc4b8ebedc20acd4ec6b49b/universal?UserId=b9bfa51570e0481194d60263b98eb716&DeviceId=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFgxMTsgVWJ1bnR1OyBMaW51eCB4ODZfNjQ7IHJ2OjYyLjApIEdlY2tvLzIwMTAwMTAxIEZpcmVmb3gvNjIuMHwxNTM5NTc4ODAyNTkw&MaxStreamingBitrate=140000000&Container=opus,mp3|mp3,aac,m4a|aac,flac,webma,webm,wav,ogg&TranscodingContainer=ts&TranscodingProtocol=hls&AudioCodec=aac&PlaySessionId=1558338251265&StartTimeTicks=0&EnableRedirection=true&EnableRemoteMedia=false

I can confirm this behaviour its the same for me

gideon82

Same issue here. Highly annoying. Starting to think about switching to be honest as it seems this has been going on for months and isn't given high priority.

Emby is running on a Windows Server that has enough resources, the files I play and are impacted are most likely x265 format (haven't checked them all) and my playback device is Android based. It's not the Shield and it really seems to be an issue with Emby. Throttle on or off doesn't seem to make a difference and it doesn't seem to happen all the time. Basically the same as posted before in this and other threads.

I've installed Plex on the same Windows Server that's serving the same files, works flawlessly. No issues what-so-ever.  Guess that makes things easier for me . Hope you guys can still fix this, for now I'll cancel my Premiere subscription.

Aerowinder

I've installed Plex on the same Windows Server that's serving the same files, works flawlessly. No issues what-so-ever.  Guess that makes things easier for me . Hope you guys can still fix this, for now I'll cancel my Premiere subscription.

Not going to lie, I did the same thing last week.

• Like 1

kelly.clubb

I have been having a lot of playback stopping with a few minutes left.  I can exit to home of server, go back and manually select right after the point of stopping and it will sometimes finish, but it stops on almost every video I play.  I run emby server (premium) on Windows Server 2016.  I stream to my Chrome web browser on my main pc which is on the same network.  I've had issues with avi, mkv, mp4 and the such and I really wish a fix would be pushed out as it seems this is a big issue that is not isolated.  The only thing this computer does is be a NAS as run Emby.  I had plex on there at one time and I never had an issue.  If anyone finds a solution for this nightmare of a headache please let me know.

Attached the entire logs folder.

Logs Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mapbxaf4qb453h7/logs.zip?dl=0

Exmaple of issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1trdhwdyptov6yr/Capture.PNG?dl=0

File Info: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mpgn3qs9fhdgar/Capture2.PNG?dl=0

Edited by kelly.clubb

fachizel90

Not going to lie, I did the same thing last week.

Ive tried plex but imo emby is definitely better. Emby organizes my custom libraries better and lets me upload custom images. Every user trying to access the server doesn't have to make an account with emby unlike plex, the admin can create accounts and set passwords.

The playback issue I was having with the screen going black at the end of a video has been resolved it hasn't happened at all in the past 2 weeks.

theghost31

Ive tried plex but imo emby is definitely better. Emby organizes my custom libraries better and lets me upload custom images. Every user trying to access the server doesn't have to make an account with emby unlike plex, the admin can create accounts and set passwords.

The playback issue I was having with the screen going black at the end of a video has been resolved it hasn't happened at all in the past 2 weeks.

Try on your phone if you can, Android, Ios whatever, with Chrome for example, maybe you will have the possibility to tell us if it's really fixes for you. Thanks  :)

Edited by theghost31

kelly.clubb

I won't lie either.  I like emby better and I want it to work.  I switched to emby from plex because I didn't like how it was organizing content and wasn't finding all my movies.  The account part isn't a big deal cause I have people get an emby accoung and add them to my users that way so I don't have to give out any urls other than app.emby.media.  This has really been my only major problem with the software and just want to fix it.

I've been having a very similar problem for at least a few months now. It seems to only happen for me when connecting outside my network with my reverse proxy. It happens with x265 and x264 files and will randomly pause until backing out and skipping ahead. Some files will play fine all the way through, others will pause every 5 minutes. I haven't been able to grab a log file of it happening yet but will try to get one next time it. Hopefully this issue can get fixed soon though. I prefer Emby, but will have to switch if this issue isn't even addressed.

• 2 weeks later...
kelly.clubb

I have been having a lot of playback stopping with a few minutes left.  I can exit to home of server, go back and manually select right after the point of stopping and it will sometimes finish, but it stops on almost every video I play.  I run emby server (premium) on Windows Server 2016.  I stream to my Chrome web browser on my main pc which is on the same network.  I've had issues with avi, mkv, mp4 and the such and I really wish a fix would be pushed out as it seems this is a big issue that is not isolated.  The only thing this computer does is be a NAS as run Emby.  I had plex on there at one time and I never had an issue.  If anyone finds a solution for this nightmare of a headache please let me know.

Attached the entire logs folder.

Logs Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mapbxaf4qb453h7/logs.zip?dl=0

Exmaple of issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1trdhwdyptov6yr/Capture.PNG?dl=0

File Info: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mpgn3qs9fhdgar/Capture2.PNG?dl=0

I am just curious if there's anyone in Emby looking into this issue.  I haven't used emby recently cause I've been busy helping friends with random things the last week.  Didn't know if anyone else has had the issue and managed to resolve it.?

pwhodges

I used to get this intermittently and no longer do; I am running the current beta.  The issue has been brought up in the past, but I've never seen it identified - it may be, though, that some bit of code has got nudged enough for the issue to go away.

theghost31

Mhh someone did he try the latest beta? I don't know but for the moment, the issue is gone for me :). @@Luke, did you do something recently about this issue?

Van Gogh

Can anyone else confirm that the latest beta is the solution to this?  I've had this going on since the upgrade to 4.1.0.26 and it's extremely frustrating.

parasven

Unfortunately the latest Beta has not solved the problem for me. The stopping is still happening for me albeit the behaviour is still different for me than what other people have reported. I get random lockups without blackscreen and in the serverdashboard it is still showing progress.

For me this problem still is isolated to Emby Theater (3.0.6) and Chrome. Other Player like Android or Firefox do not seem to have the problem.

theghost31

Yeah, today a user reported me on Chrome the issue about black screen. It's weird but I don't have it anymore on Android but still in Chrome, the problems seems to be still here :(

AJAYS

Well!!

This was my post and its been hijacked by many many others!!!

I'd still like my issues resolved!!!

I haven't successfully used EMBY on my PC since reporting this issue - can however use EMBY on my Ipad.....

Whenever i open Emby Theater, the Server crashes..... But using the Ipad, no problems!!!!

sirwilliam

Same for me, 4 out of 5 times the video stops at about 18 minutes with a black screen. Switching to another bitrate, no matter what it was before, even when switching back to the first, usually lets me finish an episode, but the image continues to be very dark after that, even when starting a new video. The only thing that helps is exiting emby and reentering.

It's a baremetal installation on Ubuntu 18.04 on emby Version 4.1.1.0 using Firefox on Ubuntu. The Android app works flawlessly, same with some smart tvs.

ffmpeg-transcodes from the last video are attached

ffmpeg-transcode-0b345f1a-91a5-4cd6-a54c-d96ed3c28e23_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-2c7df517-d201-43fd-afda-737a9249ccc5_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-2df92072-12bc-4492-af43-ff304d50a605_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-03d301f9-8ce3-403d-a8b0-8ea9d7239dd7_1.txt

• 4 weeks later...
suppervinny

I would suggest lowering the in app quality setting. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

I have the same problem. The video stops and the screen turns black, and the playback bar returns to zero at the end of the episodes, usually when the file is in MKV h264. It is being constant, and as a subscriber I need this corrected.

suppervinny

Do both of you have subtitles enabled when this is a problem?

This is the image of what happens at the end of each episode of any series, missing 4 to 5 minutes to the end:

5d1fee14863ea_emby.jpg

Happy2Play

@@suppervinny

You will need to post the server and corresponding ffmpeg logs.

Edited by Happy2Play

gideon82

@@suppervinny

You will need to post the server and corresponding ffmpeg logs.

To be fair, the guy above him did so..  Not a single update for a whole month. I have switched to Plex which runs on the same machine as Emby, not a single glitch. There is an issue with Emby and it's not taken up with priority. I was a monthly subscriber and due the bug not getting any attention, cancelled the subscription and moved to Plex. It's telling me you guys could benefit from more developers, seems the 1 guy  (Luke) has his hands full with other tasks. Or maybe you have multiple developers, no idea..

• 4 weeks later...
kelly.clubb

To be fair, the guy above him did so.. Not a single update for a whole month. I have switched to Plex which runs on the same machine as Emby, not a single glitch. There is an issue with Emby and it's not taken up with priority. I was a monthly subscriber and due the bug not getting any attention, cancelled the subscription and moved to Plex. It's telling me you guys could benefit from more developers, seems the 1 guy (Luke) has his hands full with other tasks. Or maybe you have multiple developers, no idea..

Still having issues with Avi files doing this to me. I'm on 4.3 beta just letting you know it's still a thing past updating to 4.2