EMBY stops during playback

AJAYS

miyamoto

Ok, I just did another test and it seems to play the same file just fine in the Edge browser, however, on chrome it goes black/stops playing at the exact same time stamp. 

Any info on this @@Luke

Edited by miyamoto

Aerowinder

I would suggest lowering the in app quality setting. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Tried that, did not help.

miyamoto

Tried that, did not help.

Not sure if you are using Windows but have you tried the Edge browser?  I was having the same exact issue and for whatever reason in Edge it can get passed that part that would make it black out.

Aerowinder

Not sure if you are using Windows but have you tried the Edge browser?  I was having the same exact issue and for whatever reason in Edge it can get passed that part that would make it black out.

I did not, my Edge isn't working. I did, however, have a buddy check it for me. Same problem.

Can confirm, the problem seems to be the firefox browser...

I had the problem again some minutes ago..2mins left and playback stops.. i can open the episode again and again but everytime at the same point 2 mins befor the end it stops..

then tried microsoft edge and there it dont stops 

i try to use the edge now.. i will see, if that fix it completely

Can confirm, the problem seems to be the firefox browser...

I had the problem again some minutes ago..2mins left and playback stops.. i can open the episode again and again but everytime at the same point 2 mins befor the end it stops..

then tried microsoft edge and there it dont stops 

i try to use the edge now.. i will see, if that fix it completely

Please try lowering the in-app quality setting with firefox and see if that helps. Thanks.

Aerowinder

Please try lowering the in-app quality setting with firefox and see if that helps. Thanks.

I tried that and it didn't make a difference. From 20mbps to 10mbps. It is local traffic.

Aerowinder

Sure,

I'm running the latest stable (4.1.1.0) on Debian Stretch (up to date via its repositories). The installation is a virtual machine (KVM - Proxmox), so I want to keep it's footprint as small as possible. So I have it read video from, and transcode to, a samba share (v3) that's located on the same subnet. The virtual machine itself is assigned 4 cores from a Kaby Lake Xeon, with 2GB of memory. With the core allocation, it is able to concurrently transcode 2 streams (and keep up), which has been enough for me so far.

I access the Emby interface with Firefox (have tried Chrome, too) via an NGINX reverse proxy, which is also a Debian Stretch VM on the same subnet as the other systems. I'm using a reverse proxy to enable the ability to use Lets Encrypt, so remote streams are encrypted without the use of a VPN.

When I have the playback issue discussed, it always manifests the same way: video plays absolutely fine until the last 2m-1.5m mark, then video turns black and audio stops. Seek bar stops, too. If I back out of the playing, go back to the title screen, and start transcoding again, I am able to skip to (about) where the problem happened, and it will happen again. Usually in the exact same spot.

I have a mixture of x264 and x265 video. For me, this is only happening on x265. I think most likely because my settings typically allow the video to direct stream, except when it can't - like x265 in Firefox. Firefox doesn't support that, so Emby transcodes it to x264. I have music, too. But only mp3s. I don't use Emby for music often, but I haven't seen an issue with it on that front.

I did disable transcode throttling a couple days before you mentioned it (I think in another thread), but that didn't make a difference so I re-enabled it. This started happening some time after the 4.0 release, but I'm not sure exactly when, as I didn't start using it much personally until well after 4.0 was out. I've been running the same installation since the mid-3.0 days, just upgrading to new versions when they become available.

Let me know if you need any more information.

fachizel90

Hi I have been having the same issue. No matter what format x265 x264 even old avi files. Seem to get a black screen 5 minutes before the end of an episode. I am on chrome. Emby is running as a docker on unraid. Few other users on my server have reported the same issue when using a browser.

cptlores

Same her. The web client (Chrome) freezes play back with a black screen. Has happened for me and other users has been complaining also. No problems when using Chromecast or Nvidia Shield TV.

Aerowinder

Just to give you all an update, I upgraded my Debian 9 installation to Debian 10, and at first I thought this solved the issue, but it came back. I'm now trying a clean Emby install on Fedora 30. Will report back my findings in a couple days.

theghost31
Hi @@Luke, I'm not sure, I don't want to be confused with my issue but I think it's really close with the @@Aerowinder report :)

In my case I have only h264 so it's not only h265

So If it's autorized, I link my issue that I reported since February ;). If it's not the same issue, please don't considerate it here

Regards 

Edited by theghost31

Im having this issue too, with Nvidia shield. Happens randomly. Only the shield is affected.

Hi. That sounds like the Shield firmware bug.  Search the Android TV forum for the thread and there is a link to a person you can contact to potentially get a fix.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Aerowinder

Hi. That sounds like the Shield firmware bug. Search the Android TV forum for the thread and there is a link to a person you can contact to potentially get a fix.

Thanks.

There may be bugs with Shield, but I’m having the same issue without it. I confirmed it’s not my Emby install, or my VM. I’m not sure what else I can do to help you guys track down the issue, but there is definitely a problem.

swan27matt

HI I am having the same issue since latest update when playing .mkv tv shows through firefox. a 22 minute show will stop playing at around 17-18 minutes and screen goes blank.    

There may be bugs with Shield, but I’m having the same issue without it. I confirmed it’s not my Emby install, or my VM. I’m not sure what else I can do to help you guys track down the issue, but there is definitely a problem.

HI I am having the same issue since latest update when playing .mkv tv shows through firefox. a 22 minute show will stop playing at around 17-18 minutes and screen goes blank.    

Do both of you have subtitles enabled when this is a problem?

fachizel90

Do both of you have subtitles enabled when this is a problem?

Im not on nvidia shield having trouble through chrome and opera. But its inconsistent, doesnt always happen. Would say about 30% of the time. No subtitles.

Edited by fachizel90

gideon82

Same issue here. Highly annoying. Starting to think about switching to be honest as it seems this has been going on for months and isn't given high priority.

Emby is running on a Windows Server that has enough resources, the files I play and are impacted are most likely x265 format (haven't checked them all) and my playback device is Android based. It's not the Shield and it really seems to be an issue with Emby. Throttle on or off doesn't seem to make a difference and it doesn't seem to happen all the time. Basically the same as posted before in this and other threads.

Edited by gideon82