• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 parasven OFFLINE  

parasven

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 07:05 AM

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:03 AM

At least for me this problem seems to be isolated to the use of Emby Theater and Firefox webclient.

Emby Theater 3.0.6 -> Direct Stream (mkv) = Playback sometines stops

Firefox -> Direct Stream (flac) = Playback always stops at certain point

Android TV App -> Direct Stream (mkv) = Flawless Playback

FireTV App -> Remuxing (mkv) = Flawless Playback

For the test i have used Firefox Portable to eliminate any odd Settings.

I have also tried Chrome Portable 73.0.3683.103 which, at least for the flac file, did not stop playback like firefox does.

When i checked the Emby serverbackend during a playback "freeze" i could see that it was still showing as playing and the seconds would still count up as it would normally do.

But the Playback in the Browser hang at 1:17

Also when i looked at the webserverlogs it seemd like the playback continues as normal but nothing is happens in the player.

Do the Clients Emby Theater and the Webclient share anything in common ?

Im currently running Emby Server 4.1.0.26

Edited by parasven, 20 April 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#22 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157111 posts
  • Local time: 02:05 AM

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:51 PM

Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue:
https://emby.media/c...port-a-problem/
Thanks.

#23 cptlores OFFLINE  

cptlores

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 AM

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

I can confirm the same problem. Just had a user complaining about playback stopping with a black screen on the web client.

I have no h265 video in my system, all is h264.

#24 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157111 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

I can confirm the same problem. Just had a user complaining about playback stopping with a black screen on the web client.

I have no h265 video in my system, all is h264.

Hi there @cptlores Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue:
https://emby.media/c...port-a-problem/
Thanks.

#25 miyamoto OFFLINE  

miyamoto

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 PM

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:05 PM

I am having the same issue, 5 or so mins before the end of an episode it just stops.  Only seems to be happening when using the browser (chrome) too. 

Attached Files

Edited by miyamoto, 22 April 2019 - 10:26 PM.

#26 miyamoto OFFLINE  

miyamoto

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:58 PM

Ok, I just did another test and it seems to play the same file just fine in the Edge browser, however, on chrome it goes black/stops playing at the exact same time stamp. 

Any info on this @Luke

Edited by miyamoto, 23 April 2019 - 08:34 PM.

#27 Aerowinder OFFLINE  

Aerowinder

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

I would suggest lowering the in app quality setting. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Tried that, did not help.

#28 miyamoto OFFLINE  

miyamoto

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:03 PM

Tried that, did not help.

Not sure if you are using Windows but have you tried the Edge browser?  I was having the same exact issue and for whatever reason in Edge it can get passed that part that would make it black out.

#29 Aerowinder OFFLINE  

Aerowinder

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:09 PM

Not sure if you are using Windows but have you tried the Edge browser?  I was having the same exact issue and for whatever reason in Edge it can get passed that part that would make it black out.

I did not, my Edge isn't working. I did, however, have a buddy check it for me. Same problem.

#30 mckay OFFLINE  

mckay

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

Can confirm, the problem seems to be the firefox browser...

I had the problem again some minutes ago..2mins left and playback stops.. i can open the episode again and again but everytime at the same point 2 mins befor the end it stops..

then tried microsoft edge and there it dont stops 

i try to use the edge now.. i will see, if that fix it completely

#31 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157111 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:40 PM

Can confirm, the problem seems to be the firefox browser...

I had the problem again some minutes ago..2mins left and playback stops.. i can open the episode again and again but everytime at the same point 2 mins befor the end it stops..

then tried microsoft edge and there it dont stops 

i try to use the edge now.. i will see, if that fix it completely

Please try lowering the in-app quality setting with firefox and see if that helps. Thanks.

#32 Aerowinder OFFLINE  

Aerowinder

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:44 PM

Please try lowering the in-app quality setting with firefox and see if that helps. Thanks.

I tried that and it didn't make a difference. From 20mbps to 10mbps. It is local traffic.

#33 Aerowinder OFFLINE  

Aerowinder

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

FYI this issue is still occuring in the latest 4.1.1.0 stable.

#34 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157111 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:20 AM

Can you please go over an example? Thanks.

#35 Aerowinder OFFLINE  

Aerowinder

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:24 AM

Sure,

I'm running the latest stable (4.1.1.0) on Debian Stretch (up to date via its repositories). The installation is a virtual machine (KVM - Proxmox), so I want to keep it's footprint as small as possible. So I have it read video from, and transcode to, a samba share (v3) that's located on the same subnet. The virtual machine itself is assigned 4 cores from a Kaby Lake Xeon, with 2GB of memory. With the core allocation, it is able to concurrently transcode 2 streams (and keep up), which has been enough for me so far.

I access the Emby interface with Firefox (have tried Chrome, too) via an NGINX reverse proxy, which is also a Debian Stretch VM on the same subnet as the other systems. I'm using a reverse proxy to enable the ability to use Lets Encrypt, so remote streams are encrypted without the use of a VPN.

When I have the playback issue discussed, it always manifests the same way: video plays absolutely fine until the last 2m-1.5m mark, then video turns black and audio stops. Seek bar stops, too. If I back out of the playing, go back to the title screen, and start transcoding again, I am able to skip to (about) where the problem happened, and it will happen again. Usually in the exact same spot.

I have a mixture of x264 and x265 video. For me, this is only happening on x265. I think most likely because my settings typically allow the video to direct stream, except when it can't - like x265 in Firefox. Firefox doesn't support that, so Emby transcodes it to x264. I have music, too. But only mp3s. I don't use Emby for music often, but I haven't seen an issue with it on that front.

I did disable transcode throttling a couple days before you mentioned it (I think in another thread), but that didn't make a difference so I re-enabled it. This started happening some time after the 4.0 release, but I'm not sure exactly when, as I didn't start using it much personally until well after 4.0 was out. I've been running the same installation since the mid-3.0 days, just upgrading to new versions when they become available.

Let me know if you need any more information.

#36 fachizel90 OFFLINE  

fachizel90

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 05:05 PM

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

Hi I have been having the same issue. No matter what format x265 x264 even old avi files. Seem to get a black screen 5 minutes before the end of an episode. I am on chrome. Emby is running as a docker on unraid. Few other users on my server have reported the same issue when using a browser.

#37 Aerowinder OFFLINE  

Aerowinder

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

Do you have any ideas on this one, @Luke?

#38 cptlores OFFLINE  

cptlores

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:53 PM

Same her. The web client (Chrome) freezes play back with a black screen. Has happened for me and other users has been complaining also. No problems when using Chromecast or Nvidia Shield TV.

#39 Aerowinder OFFLINE  

Aerowinder

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

Just to give you all an update, I upgraded my Debian 9 installation to Debian 10, and at first I thought this solved the issue, but it came back. I'm now trying a clean Emby install on Fedora 30. Will report back my findings in a couple days.

#40 Shidapu OFFLINE  

Shidapu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

Im having this issue too, with Nvidia shield. Happens randomly. Only the shield is affected.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Playback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users