SONOS no sound on DTS.

fizzyade

fizzyade

Thanks for the feedback and support !

Ditto, and you’re very welcome. Can’t complain at a few hours for a fix to an issue that affects a specific set of hardware.

I’m still trying to find the cause of my issue with playback stopping, switched from autofs to fstab mounting in case that was playing a part, but still same issue. Like I said, it’s not an emby issue, but wondering if there’s anything in the logs that might be helpful for me to track it down?

Does the android client generate logs, I turned on the extra debug options.

You can send a log from the app but I doubt it will have any information other than just the stream stopping.

Thanks.

@@ebr I will be true to my word and purchase a lifetime sub on pay day, currently using a monthly one, I've tried emby on and off a few times over the past couple of years but now I feel it's at a point where it's suitable for being the daily driver, we use *plex* a lot and I'm fed up of bugs that go ignored, so when this reached the level I felt was usable I would be more than happy to switch (and I have a lifetime account over there as well).

I also love the fact that you pushed a beta super quick with this fix in, top work.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of a "freezing" issue, don't worry it's not emby, plex is doing the same.  I have a feeling it's something to do with autofs, so i've resorted to using fstab mounts to see if the problem goes away, emby is going to get a pounding today while I perform playback tests.

Once you get going with emby you'll never go back to plex. You'd miss all the flexibility that emby gives you.

Your "freezing" issue, does it sound like this one?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/

There's a few things that have come up in that thread that you can try. Mine hasn't froze in weeks now. It's an NVidia issue that seems to be affecting both emby and plex and many users have reported it to NVidia already. If you're comfortable rolling the shield back to 7.1 that's about the only guaranteed fix at this point.

fizzyade

Once you get going with emby you'll never go back to plex. You'd miss all the flexibility that emby gives you.

Your "freezing" issue, does it sound like this one?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/

There's a few things that have come up in that thread that you can try. Mine hasn't froze in weeks now. It's an NVidia issue that seems to be affecting both emby and plex and many users have reported it to NVidia already. If you're comfortable rolling the shield back to 7.1 that's about the only guaranteed fix at this point.

It gets stuck and then never continues, you have to go back and then hit play again and it quite happily starts playing again, that’s the bug I’m seeing. Thinking about it p, it probably did start about the time I updated our boxes.

Looks like I’m going to have to break out adb and restore 7.1, don’t suppose you have a decent set of instructions?

Edited by fizzyade

• 1 year later...
fizzyade

I'm going mad here, I know this existed as you added it for me, but I've just got a FireTV HD which I've hooked unto the projector and a Sonos Beam and for the life of me I cannot find this option anywhere?

It's doing the right thing for me, it's transcoding DTS to AC3, which I didn't expect until I enabled the option to disable DTS....but as above, I can't find it.

It's more for my peace of mind, where do I find this option?

3 hours ago, fizzyade said:

I'm going mad here, I know this existed as you added it for me, but I've just got a FireTV HD which I've hooked unto the projector and a Sonos Beam and for the life of me I cannot find this option anywhere?

It's doing the right thing for me, it's transcoding DTS to AC3, which I didn't expect until I enabled the option to disable DTS....but as above, I can't find it.

It's more for my peace of mind, where do I find this option?

That just means your system is now properly reporting that it does not support DTS.  If the system doesn't support DTS there is no reason to present you with an option to disable it.

fizzyade
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

That just means your system is now properly reporting that it does not support DTS.  If the system doesn't support DTS there is no reason to present you with an option to disable it.

Ahh ok, the fire TV HD doesn't support DTS, that's the crucial bit I was missing, I just assumed that it would.

CBers
2 minutes ago, fizzyade said:

Ahh ok, the fire TV HD doesn't support DTS, that's the crucial bit I was missing, I just assumed that it would.

The Sonos Beam supports DD (AC3), so the app should be asking the server to convert (remux) DTS to AC3. 

1 minute ago, CBers said:

The Sonos Beam supports DD (AC3), so the app should be asking the server to convert (remux) DTS to AC3. 

It's doing the right thing for me, it's transcoding DTS to AC3

fizzyade
Just now, CBers said:

I know, the question was in relation to the option that they added way back when for me, I couldn't find it and the reason being is that it's not shown if it's not needed, I assumed incorrectly that the Fire TV HD supported DTS passthrough, it doesn't, which explains why I couldn't see the option.

CBers

It's doing the right thing for me, it's transcoding DTS to AC3, 

So why doesn't my Shield remux DTS or DD+ to DD connected to my Sonos Beam 🤔

• Like 1

fizzyade
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

You need to enable the option I was talking about.  It's there on the shield.  I use it because the Sony TV it's connected to reports that it supports DTS and you can't disable it, I take the optical feed from the TV straight to the player and because the TV reports that it supports DTS I would get silence without the option in emby being enabled.

I bumped this because I was confused why I couldn't see the option not he Fire TV, but as ebr has mentioned, it doesn't show it when the sink reports that it doesn't support DTS.

CBers

My Shield connected to the Sonos Beam doesn't see the DTS options in tee app, as the Sonos Beam doesn't support it, not sees my TV. 

The Sonos Beam supports DD, which should then cause the app to remux DTS to DD, but it doesn't, so all I get is stereo (pcm) on the Sonos Beam. 

@ebr says he is unable to do anything about it, which is why we should have a pass-through option. 

2 hours ago, CBers said:

Based on your logs we saw earlier, I answered this question - because the system is reporting that it doesn't support DD.

CBers
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Based on your logs we saw earlier, I answered this question - because the system is reporting that it doesn't support DD.

But it does, which is why pass-through is needed, to override what the app is seeing. 

I don't know how to prove to you that the Sonos Beam supports DD, but surely @fizzade's experience proves it.

3 minutes ago, CBers said:

I don't know how to prove to you that the Sonos Beam supports DD

I'm not questioning that in general.  The question is why doesn't your system realize that?  It could any number of reasons ranging from cabling to how things are hooked up to a bug in firmware somewhere.  Seeing a new log with the current beta is probably not a bad idea.

CBers
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

I'm not questioning that in general.  The question is why doesn't your system realize that?  It could any number of reasons ranging from cabling to how things are hooked up to a bug in firmware somewhere.  Seeing a new log with the current beta is probably not a bad idea.

OK, perhaps we'll take it to the thread I started.

Apologies to @fizzyade for hijacking his thread.