SONOS no sound on DTS.

fizzyade

fizzyade

it’s well known that Sonos does not support DTS. I’m considering moving from plex to Emby due to the number of unfixed bugs and direction that plex is going, however, I just tried playing a file which had only a DTS soundtrack and it was silent. (I’m using a shield)

Plex recently introduced a feature into the android tv client that allows the audio output mode to be set to optical and then DTS and AC3 are check boxes, I can deselect DTS and this forces a transcode of the DTS soundtrack to AC3, it works perfectly.

I can’t seem to find anything similar in emby which I was hoping, this is a deal breaker as I don’t enjoy films where I can’t hear the soundtrack! Lol

Have I missed something obvious? Is this option just missing? Is it going to be added?

Thanks

CBers

I'm a long time Emby and Sonos user.

As the Sonos PlayBar/Beam don't support DTS, Emby should remux the DTS audio to AC3 (Dolby D). It does for me.

There are no settings to accomplish this, Emby just does it, as it checks the end device in the connection chain for limitations and does what is best.

I have my Beam connected to my TV via HDMI and it does the remux without any issues.

When I had my PlayBar, that was connected via optical and it also remuxed the audio.

So I'm not sure why yours isn't working as it should.

Perhaps you can supply obfuscated logs as per the following link and also the in-app logs from the ATV app as well, so that @@ebr can take a look.

How to Report a Problem

• Like 1

fizzyade

Humn, how would it do this with an optical connection?

My playbar is connected to my tv via optical and the shield is connected to the tv via hdmi, optical is one way so I assume the tv tells the shield blindly that DTS and AC3 are supported. This was the issue under plex.

Don’t mind supplying logs.

CBers

Sounds like how I used to have my PlayBar connected to my TV.

Which make of TV are you using?

I know I had to change my Samsung TV audio output to DD, otherwise there was no sound, but it's been a while so I may be wrong.

fizzyade

Sounds like how I used to have my PlayBar connected to my TV.

Which make of TV are you using?

I know I had to change my Samsung TV audio output to DD, otherwise there was no sound, but it's been a while so I may be wrong.

Sony, there are no options for setting what the tv will output, it just blindly accepts both dts and dd, this is the issue.

CBers

Sony, there are no options for setting what the tv will output, it just blindly accepts both dts and dd, this is the issue.

Yes, sounds like it.

Something for @@ebr (the main ATV app dev) to comment on.

• Like 1

fizzyade

Yes, sounds like it.

Something for @@ebr (the main ATV app dev) to comment on.

I hope there can be a fix for this, I’d pull the trigger on a lifetime after playing with emby this morning, (I am a lifetime plex holder)

Are you positive there are no settings for what will be sent out of the audio port of the TV?  I find that rather odd. 

Humn, how would it do this with an optical connection?

My playbar is connected to my tv via optical and the shield is connected to the tv via hdmi, optical is one way so I assume the tv tells the shield blindly that DTS and AC3 are supported. This was the issue under plex.

Don’t mind supplying logs.

That would be what's happening. Your TV likely supports DTS so your shield is sending the DTS signal to the TV. The TV is then sending that signal directly to the playbar which doesn't support it. The TV SHOULD have a digital audio output setting in the menu. Usually Settings/Sounds/Digital Audio Out.

A simple way to test this would be using the TV speakers. If you're getting sound from the TV speakers and not the playbar, then you know it's the TV settings not Emby/Plex.

• Like 1

fizzyade

That would be what's happening. Your TV likely supports DTS so your shield is sending the DTS signal to the TV. The TV is then sending that signal directly to the playbar which doesn't support it. The TV SHOULD have a digital audio output setting in the menu. Usually Settings/Sounds/Digital Audio Out.

A simple way to test this would be using the TV speakers. If you're getting sound from the TV speakers and not the playbar, then you know it's the TV settings not Emby/Plex.

Yeah, there’s no real settings on the TV, I simply have the choice of Auto or PCM for the optical output, Auto shows this behaviour where DTS gets sent and PCM will only send stereo.

I’m basically stuffed unless I have a way of saying that the optical output only supports AC3 and then have emby transcode other formats.

I’ve been using emby all day today and this is the only thing stopping me dumping plex as far as I can see.

fizzyade

Are you positive there are no settings for what will be sent out of the audio port of the TV?  I find that rather odd.

Nope, I have auto or pcm, that’s it. Auto results in dts being sent over optical and pcm results in only stereo support.

This is a Sony KDL55W905A tv. This is as far as I can see the only thing stopping me moving to emby from plex, but it’s a deal breaker.

fizzyade

PS The support here is already 10000% better than at plex. Took me 2 years of repeated postings and an eventual conversation from elan before they implemented the functionality to handle this situation.

• Like 1

Yeah, there’s no real settings on the TV, I simply have the choice of Auto or PCM for the optical output, Auto shows this behaviour where DTS gets sent and PCM will only send stereo.

I’m basically stuffed unless I have a way of saying that the optical output only supports AC3 and then have emby transcode other formats.

I’ve been using emby all day today and this is the only thing stopping me dumping plex as far as I can see.

Yup, that's the setting I'm talking about and how Sony designed it to work. 

Shame on Sonos really for creating such a high priced product with such limited functionality. They've been very resistant in adding HDMI support. It's one of the reasons I'd never buy their product.

Passthrough options would be a nice feature to see. Similar to Kodi where users could select the audio types their end device supports to limit what is passed through and force a remux for the rest. It would be useful for Sonos users, but also for others who may have a newer TV feeding sound to an older soundbar. 

The problem here exists in the TV.  I hate having to add options (that can potentially cause other people to screw up their playback) to work around errors in other systems but that may be our only choice here.  I was able to take care of this issue without an option when you are running the app on the actual TV but there is really no way to automatically handle this when you are just running the signal through the poorly designed TV.

fizzyade

The problem here exists in the TV.  I hate having to add options (that can potentially cause other people to screw up their playback) to work around errors in other systems but that may be our only choice here.  I was able to take care of this issue without an option when you are running the app on the actual TV but there is really no way to automatically handle this when you are just running the signal through the poorly designed TV.

Plex solved this by adding a “optical” sound output mode with dts and ac3 tick boxes, all I do on their client is deselect dts and everything transcoded correctly. As it stands, I cannot use emby because of this issue because I just get silence on most films unless they have an ac3 soundtrack.

CBers

@@ebr anything that can be done here?

@@fizzyade When you playback DTS content in Plex through your PlayBar, what does the Sonos app say is being fed to it?

I have just played a DTS movie via Plex, and the Sonos app is reporting STEREO, so I am assuming that the app is down mixing to stereo, rather than transcoding.

If I play a movie with TrueHD audio, Plex transcodes it.

fizzyade

@@fizzyade When you playback DTS content in Plex through your PlayBar, what does the Sonos app say is being fed to it?

I have just played a DTS movie via Plex, and the Sonos app is reporting STEREO, so I am assuming that the app is down mixing to stereo, rather than transcoding.

If I play a movie with TrueHD audio, Plex transcodes it.

You need to install the very latest beta of the player to get this functionality.

CBers

You need to install the very latest beta of the player to get this functionality.

Currently running Plex ATV app v7.10.0.8875.

Is there a newer one?

CBers

Try our latest beta instead :D.

Already have, but never had an issue with Emby.

Just want to check what Plex is doing, as it may help others.

fizzyade

@@ebr I will be true to my word and purchase a lifetime sub on pay day, currently using a monthly one, I've tried emby on and off a few times over the past couple of years but now I feel it's at a point where it's suitable for being the daily driver, we use *plex* a lot and I'm fed up of bugs that go ignored, so when this reached the level I felt was usable I would be more than happy to switch (and I have a lifetime account over there as well).

I also love the fact that you pushed a beta super quick with this fix in, top work.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of a "freezing" issue, don't worry it's not emby, plex is doing the same.  I have a feeling it's something to do with autofs, so i've resorted to using fstab mounts to see if the problem goes away, emby is going to get a pounding today while I perform playback tests.

• Like 2