Pulling all metadata, but pictures??

dbriggs32

dbriggs32

I just switched to Emby so sorry if this is common, but I am extremely impressed with the metadata capture so far, however no pictures were pulled into it. Is there a setting I missed that will allow the movie poster and cast pictures or something to be pulled in?

It grabbed the casts, movie description, even the IMDB ID and everything else perfect.

Edited by dbriggs32

Happy2Play

Has a Library scan finished?

Might be the "Download images in Advance" setting per library (enable show advanced setting).

dbriggs32

ahhhhh advanced setting yes that did it for about 70% even though some may not have pics they have IMDB ID's ... assuming maybe the library is not updated yet? IT has been about 24 hours ... I would hope it could update all by then ??

Edited by dbriggs32

Angus Black

If this is the initial library scan it can take days not hours.

Mine has been scanning ~1800 TV episodes and ~200 movies for 3 days. I'm writing the metadata to an .nfo file and downloading images.

It's showing 97.2% complete but started at 90% so I really don't know how complete it is. :)

Be patient.

Update

Server version 4.0.2.0 has just been released and addresses slow scans for movie libraries.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-452-emby-server-402-released/

Edited by Angus Black

Yes please update to 4.0.2 and it will resolve the slow scan for movie libraries problem. 

Once your scan has completed, please let me know if there are still any issues. Thanks !

Angus Black

What is a reasonible amount of time to scan movies?

I ran a scan on 94 movies.

It ran for 7 hours and there are still 18 movies that don't show metadata.

So 76 movies in 7 hours. 5-6 minutes per movie.

These movies all had .nfo and image files in the folder.

Roku thumbnail creation started 2 hours after the library scan started.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.00Ghz

RAM: 8.0 GB

The data is on an external (USB 3.0) 4.0 TB Seagate drive.

I also have an internal 3.0 TB drive for some libraries. It oesn't seem any faster.

Edited by Angus Black

The Roku thumbnail creation will hit your CPU very hard. You are warned of this when installing it. Please try removing the plugin, and then restarting your server. Thanks.

Angus Black

I knew that and had stopped the Roku process and removed Roku scheduled tasks.

CPU usage was still 90-100%, I assumed that was Emby doing the library scan.

After removing the Roku plugin CPU usage is 20-30% during the library scan.

In the Roku pluging install you have this message;

The Roku device will only utilize the thumbnails when direct streaming, so make sure to configure the plugin to avoid creating thumbnails for videos that won't utilize them.

I see no way to do this. It seems to be all or nothing.

Happy2Play

I knew that and had stopped the Roku process and removed Roku scheduled tasks.

CPU usage was still 90-100%, I assumed that was Emby doing the library scan.

After removing the Roku plugin CPU usage is 20-30% during the library scan.

In the Roku pluging install you have this message;

The Roku device will only utilize the thumbnails when direct streaming, so make sure to configure the plugin to avoid creating thumbnails for videos that won't utilize them.

I see no way to do this. It seems to be all or nothing.

Did you click on the Task in Scheduled Tasks to expose the Task Trigger settings?

Angus Black

Yes. All I see for trigger settings are Time based and App startup.

Clicking on a trigger after it is set does nothing.

I found a post from July 2018, referring to the Roku plugin, where speechless is asking Luke

Luke can you get rid of that note that these only work for direct-streaming. They can work for both direct and transcoded media just fine now.

I guess that answers the question. There is no setting because it's not required. :)

Edited by Angus Black

Happy2Play

Yes. All I see for trigger settings are Time based and App startup.

Clicking on a trigger after it is set does nothing.

Sorry I was thinking of something else.  There are only two setting where the files are saved and when they are created.  If there was another option it no longer exists.

Happy2Play

Every setup is different and options applied to each library.  My setup with metadata with media can rebuild in under a day with all library options disabled.  4000 Movies and 350 Series.  Now if I were acquiring all new, then I would expect it to take for ever do to required throttling from provider websites.

dbriggs32

Does emby save all the info to each folder? I'm planning to move to a NAS and run the emby server there in a month or so. Hoping to not have to wait a week to redo all this again.

Happy2Play

Does emby save all the info to each folder? I'm planning to move to a NAS and run the emby server there in a month or so. Hoping to not have to wait a week to redo all this again.

Only if you enable those options per library. Metadata savers: NFO and Save artwork into media folders

Sorry, these instructions are obsolete. I will update them. Nowadays, Roku can use the thumbnails no matter how it's playing.

I would also make sure you're running the 4.0.2 release as it resolves an issue of slow scans for movie libraries. Thanks.

dbriggs32

hmm rememeber seeing those but not sure what I checked. I'll look when I get home. I'm thinking I checked them so I could try and be done with this one time and then when I move to NAS I don't need to do that