android tv v8 "channels"

chenks

Richard Branches

chenks, on 04 Feb 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:snapback.png

no, you have missed the point.

I wasn't talking about turning the channel off, i was talking about letting the user choose whether emby uses that channel or uses its own channel.

ebr, on 04 Feb 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:snapback.png

Perhaps we could add our "Next Up" content to the standard Oreo channel IF the user hasn't enabled our specific Next Up channel.

Ok, I got that, I actually had to test it to find out what you meant and it's OK, it sounds logic... anyway that's not my concern, what I hope you check again is the double thumbnail, like I said, AFTER the update arrived, I tested the HBO GO app again and it's not creating a double thumbnail when I add an episode manually to the "Play Next" channel from their own channel, it's using the same thumbnail to update the status of the episode, meanwhile with Emby, when the "Next Up" channel is turned on and I add an episode manually to the "Play Next" channel, the app is still creating a double thumbnail so I guess you'll need to recompile (or whatever you call it  :D) the app again to see if it gets fixed.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

The change that was requested and made here is that, if you disable the Emby-specific "Next Up" channel on your home screen, then those items will be added to "Play Next" instead.

I did more tests but this is not working, even after the update to the Android TV Home app, if the "Next Up" channel is enabled Emby is still adding content to the "Play Next" channel and the item in the "Next Up" channel remains the same, that is, the green progress bar that appears at the bottom of the item in "Play Next", doesn't appear in "Next Up".

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

Alright, here is the current status of Emby vs "Play Next" channel on beta 1.6.83g:

1) If the "Next Up" channel is disabled and I enter Emby, do nothing and press back button to exit to ATV home screen, every single content in "Next Up" row is getting added to the "Play Next" channel regardless if there is unfinished content or not, which is NOT correct; the only way to stop it from doing that is to enable the "Next Up" channel on ATV home screen.

2) If the "Next Up" channel is disabled and I play any episode from any TV show and stop playback, when I exit Emby the item is added automatically to the "Play Next" channel which is correct so far.

3) If the "Next Up" channel is enabled and I play any episode from any TV show and stop playback, when I exit Emby the item is added automatically to the "Play Next" channel which is NOT correct because of what @@ebr mention here: 

ebr, on 06 Feb 2019 - 4:43 PM, said:

snapback.png

The change that was requested and made here is that, if you disable the Emby-specific "Next Up" channel on your home screen, then those items will be added to "Play Next" instead.

Which means, NOTHING should be added to the "Play Next" channel because the "Next Up" channel is enabled, which should handle that job.

4) If the "Next Up" channel is enabled and I decide to add the item to the "Play Next" channel, I start playback and stop it to continue later, then another thumbnail is created to continue watching later instead of using the one added previously, I tested this with the HBO GO app after the "Android TV Home" app update and it's not doing that anymore.

It's important to clarify, movies are working correctly with this but it's still buggy with TV shows.

Edited by delacosta78

I did one last test to the HBO GO app and besides the thumbnail duplication, the app is adding the next episode to watch to the "Play Next" channel automatically regardless if I added the episode manually or not, I think that's what @@chenks was referring about Plex doing the same which Emby lacks, I stopped using Plex so I can't confirm it, I hope you guys take a look at this, don't forget to fix the "Resume Playback" situation..., thank you for your attention.

yes this is correct

Alright, here is the current status of Emby vs "Play Next" channel on beta 1.6.83g:

1) If the "Next Up" channel is disabled and I enter Emby, do nothing and press back button to exit to ATV home screen, every single content in "Next Up" row is getting added to the "Play Next" channel regardless if there is unfinished content or not, which is NOT correct; the only way to stop it from doing that is to enable the "Next Up" channel on ATV home screen.

2) If the "Next Up" channel is disabled and I play any episode from any TV show and stop playback, when I exit Emby the item is added automatically to the "Play Next" channel which is correct so far.

3) If the "Next Up" channel is enabled and I play any episode from any TV show and stop playback, when I exit Emby the item is added automatically to the "Play Next" channel which is NOT correct because of what @@ebr mention here: 

ebr, on 06 Feb 2019 - 4:43 PM, said:

snapback.png

Which means, NOTHING should be added to the "Play Next" channel because the "Next Up" channel is enabled, which should handle that job.

4) If the "Next Up" channel is enabled and I decide to add the item to the "Play Next" channel, I start playback and stop it to continue later, then another thumbnail is created to continue watching later instead of using the one added previously, I tested this with the HBO GO app after the "Android TV Home" app update and it's not doing that anymore.

It's important to clarify, movies are working correctly with this but it's still buggy with TV shows.

The change that was made was that the "Next Up" content is ADDED to Play Next if you don't enable our special channel.  This is exactly what the OP of this thread was asking for (as I understood it).

This has no effect on IN-PROGRESS items which are still added to Play Next regardless.  This has not changed.  The only change is that Play Next will operate as your "Next Up" channel AS WELL AS your "in-progress" channel if you don't enable our specific Next Up channel.

• Like 1

Richard Branches

The change that was made was that the "Next Up" content is ADDED to Play Next if you don't enable our special channel.  This is exactly what the OP of this thread was asking for (as I understood it).

This has no effect on IN-PROGRESS items which are still added to Play Next regardless.  This has not changed.  The only change is that Play Next will operate as your "Next Up" channel AS WELL AS your "in-progress" channel if you don't enable our specific Next Up channel.

Thank you for clarifying that, however, when the "Next Up" channel is disabled, everytime I enter and exit Emby, every single item is added to the "Play Next" channel when they shouldn't, if I remove them from there and enter Emby and exit Emby again, they get added again and again, so I guess that's a bug that must be addressed, along with the double thumbnail issue.

yes that is correct.

Richard Branches

I have reverted this change in the latest beta to avoid disruption for the next release.

Can you please provide a clear summary of what changed, what stays and what was fixed regarding comment 53?, thanks.

Edited by delacosta78

Can you please provide a clear summary of what changed, what stays and what was fixed regarding comment 53?, thanks.

The functionality is back to how it was before for now.  Only in-progress items will be added to Play Next.

The functionality is back to how it was before for now.  Only in-progress items will be added to Play Next.

damn i never got a chance to test to see if i got the same problem.

currently on 1.6.84g, and with the next up channel disabled i don't see any emby content in the play nexy channel.

Edited by chenks

Richard Branches

damn i never got a chance to test to see if i got the same problem.

currently on 1.6.84g, and with the next up channel disabled i don't see any emby content in the play nexy channel.

At least "Resume Playback" phrase isn't gone, I just hope they make it right for the next stable release...