android tv v8 "channels"

chenks

the emby row doesn't live update either, so you've still not wrong information no matter which channel you're looking at if you have them enabled.
it *should* update them though, the fact it doesn't is an emby issue.

as you've disabled all channels then i'm not even sure why you have an interest in this thread. you're not using any of the channels so all your opiniosn are moot IMO.

are you really a plexninja? you sound like one!

Edited by chenks

PenkethBoy

Well if you want this - create a feature request and see how many others like your idea - rather than being a muppet about somebody disagreeing with you

• Like 1

Richard Branches

i don't know what you mean by "add an episode manually".

Press and hold on any item in Emby channels and you'll see a menu, select "add to play next"...

Spaceboy

it *should* update them though, the fact it doesn't is an emby issue.

hmm I doubt it, for them to live update the emby app has to contact the server in the background to get the current status. Then what do you do about different users? You may or may not have noticed that the suggestions are always based on the last user to use the app. Not helpful.

So lots of issues to overcome and for what benefit? Just not having to open the app?

As penkethboy says setup a FR, see what support you get. I was just outlining the shortcomings in your idea and the obstacles that need to be overcome

• Like 1

Well if you want this - create a feature request and see how many others like your idea - rather than being a muppet about somebody disagreeing with you

i don't have any issue with anyone have an alternate opinion, however what i do object it somsone trying to suggest only their opinion is valid, which is what the spacemonkeyboy was putting forward.

I advocate giving the end-user the choice.

and i was to pick a muppet i would choose beaker.

Spaceboy

i don't have any issue with anyone have an alternate opinion, however what i do object it somsone trying to suggest only their opinion is valid, which is what the spacemonkeyboy was putting forward.

I advocate giving the end-user the choice.

and i was to pick a muppet i would choose beaker.

everyone is entitled to their opinion. it’s just that yours is based on incomplete knowledge, ergo you are wrong

Perhaps we could add our "Next Up" content to the standard Oreo channel IF the user hasn't enabled our specific Next Up channel.

Richard Branches

There is one problem with TV shows though and I already commented this in comment # 7 of the topic created for this (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61679-new-android-play-next-channel/?p=638970): When I start watching one episode and stop playback, the episode is added automatically to the "Play Next" channel so I can continue watching it from there without opening the app again, once it finishes it gets removed automatically, BUT, if I add the episode manually from the "Next Up" channel, start playback and stop it, Emby creates another thumbnail of the same episode to continue watching later, it doesn't use the same thumbnail that was already added there (it works with movies though), once I finish watching the episode, the thumbnail is removed automatically and the other one stays there..

Hey @@ebr , I was testing this with HBO GO app and it's the same situation, I thought this was only a problem with Emby but it seems to be something globally, the question is if this is something every developer must fix in its own app or if it's Google who must fix it directly...

I think the issue here is that, when you manually add something to that channel, it is then under your control - not any programs.  You manually added it, you may need to manually remove it.

Richard Branches

I think the issue here is that, when you manually add something to that channel, it is then under your control - not any programs.  You manually added it, you may need to manually remove it.

Yes, I know that, that's something obvious, but, like I said, when I add a movie manually and start watching it and then I stop playback somewhere, it doesn't add another thumbnail next to the one I added, instead, it uses the same thumbnail to display/update the status of the item, which is not working with TV shows.

Richard Branches

Even if I add a movie manually, when I finish watching it, the thumbnail gets removed automatically from the "Play Next" channel, that's what Emby and HBO GO does, with TV shows however, it doesn't get overwritten or updated by the next episode to watch.

Richard Branches

I did one last test to the HBO GO app and besides the thumbnail duplication, the app is adding the next episode to watch to the "Play Next" channel automatically regardless if I added the episode manually or not, I think that's what @@chenks was referring about Plex doing the same which Emby lacks, I stopped using Plex so I can't confirm it, I hope you guys take a look at this, don't forget to fix the "Resume Playback" situation..., thank you for your attention.

Richard Branches

Yes!, finally, you fixed it @@ebr, with the latest beta update (1.6.83g) the episodes are getting added automatically to the "Play Next" channel and the "Resume Playback" phrase is finally there!, thank you!!!.

Richard Branches

The only problem here is the thumbnail duplication for TV shows, as you can see in the screenshot below, when I add the episode from the "Next Up" channel to the "Play Next" channel manually, start playback and stop it before it finishes, another thumbnail with the phrase "Resume Playback" is created instead of using the one that was already there, like I said before, this is working with movies but it's not working with TV shows for some reason:

5c58bd43aa858_Thumbnailduplication.jpg

Richard Branches

Why are you manually adding the item to Play Next?

Why not?, I may find a TV show I like to watch without getting inside the app, I may see a TV show on that list I added in the past but I forgot to watch it so why not add it manually from there?

Anyway that's not the point, the problem is they shouldn't duplicate, it is working with movies so why not with TV shows?.

Richard Branches

Hello @@ebr, although Emby is now working much better with the "Play Next" channel after the new 1.6.83g beta update, there is a little "bug" I found:

When I enter inside any episode thumbnail in "Next Up" row at Emby home screen, or when I enter inside the "Next Up" thumbnail inside any TV show, when I go back to Android TV home screen, Emby is adding the episode automatically to the "Play Next" channel but that shouldn't happen, nothing should be added there automatically except for:

1) I start watching anything and stop playback, when I exit Emby, a thumbnail is added automatically to the "Play Next" channel to continue watching later from there without opening the app.

2) I remove the thumbnails from the "Play Next" channel and then I enter Emby, when I exit the app, the previous thumbnails or new ones of unfinished content are added automatically again and no matter how many times I remove the thumbnails, they will be added automatically again because they are "unfinished" content.

3) I start watching a TV episode and finish it, after that, a thumbnail is added automatically with the next episode to watch.

So opening an episode and doing nothing inside doesn't mean it must be added to that channel automatically, please fix that.

Richard Branches

Now it's even worse, it's gone mad, I don't know what happened but it's adding the episode to the "Play Next" channel just by enter Emby.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

I deleted app cache and data and it's still doing the same, the app is adding all the content from the "Next Up" row to the "Play Next" channel just by enter Emby, I sent the app log on 02/04/19 at 10:10 pm.

Richard Branches

Why are you manually adding the item to Play Next?

After the new update of the "Android TV Home" app, I did another test to the HBO GO app by adding an episode manually to the "Play Next" channel and it's not duplicating thumbnails anymore, it's actually using the same thumbnail to update the status of the episode to continue watching later, I hope you verify this again, thank you @@ebr.

The change that was requested and made here is that, if you disable the Emby-specific "Next Up" channel on your home screen, then those items will be added to "Play Next" instead.

Richard Branches

The change that was requested and made here is that, if you disable the Emby-specific "Next Up" channel on your home screen, then those items will be added to "Play Next" instead.

What are you talking about?

no, you have missed the point.

I wasn't talking about turning the channel off, i was talking about letting the user choose whether emby uses that channel or uses its own channel.

Perhaps we could add our "Next Up" content to the standard Oreo channel IF the user hasn't enabled our specific Next Up channel.