android tv v8 "channels"

chenks

so my Sony TV for an update pushed out taking it to Andoird TV v8 (with the new style home screen).

I have the emby "next up tv" and "suggested for me" channels enabled.

i watched a tv episode on my phone, and later went to the home screen on the TV and that episode is still showing in the "next up tv" channel. so it hasn't picked up the changed in play state. is it normal for it to take a while to update (ie it was over an hour ago).
actually it's also got a tv episode still showing that i watched yesterday.

also, doesn't emby include it's content in the default "play next" channel? plex does.

5c57374878c5c_IMG_20190203_184458.jpg

i watched a tv episode on my phone, and later went to the home screen on the TV and that episode is still showing in the "next up tv" channel. so it hasn't picked up the changed in play state. is it normal for it to take a while to update (ie it was over an hour ago).

actually it's also got a tv episode still showing that i watched yesterday.

We need to improve our automatic refreshing of this content.

also, doesn't emby include it's content in the default "play next" channel? plex does.

@@ebr can comment on this. Thanks.

the TV only got upgraded from v7 to v8 during the week, so this layout is new to me.

opening the app and then going back to home doesn't do a force refresh at least.

oh, and the OS updates hasn't made any difference to the low sound issues i get with non-stereo content.

Edited by chenks

Hi.  In order for this content to update without you actually opening the app, we would have to have your device constantly connected to your server.  We haven't done that at this point.

However, if you enter the app, it should re-generate this content for you automatically.

Any in-progress items you have will appear in the "Play Next" channel.  Since we already have our own suggestions and Up Next channels, it didn't make sense to replicate that there.

Thanks.

yeah having to enter the app to update the home channels kinda defeats the purpose of the home channels in the first place.

IMO (and i'm sure is the intention) is that you don't need to go into the app in the first place and the channels do the "work" for you.

the existing "play next" channel is the default for all apps, so not sure why emby needs to have its own? why not just use that one? i don't see the need for emby to have its own "up next" channel as it doesn't do anything that the "play next" channel would already do.
when you say "in progress" do you mean that emby will show content in the default "play next" channel if it is part-watched?

Edited by chenks

the existing "play next" channel is the default for all apps, so not sure why emby needs to have its own? why not just use that one? i don't see the need for emby to have its own "up next" channel as it doesn't do anything that the "play next" channel would already do.

It allows one to have just Emby content displayed as opposed to mixed in with other content.

In my experience, the Play Next channel is pretty much only automatically populated by in-progress items so that is how we are using it as well.

Also, you can add any item you wish to this channel with a long-press on the item to produce the context menu.

That's not how I'm seeing it being used.

It's called "play next" not "in progress'.

That channel is currently populated with the next episodes to watch from Plex, which is the intended purpose IMO.

CBers

I don't use the OREO channels, as they're a complete waste of time IMO :)

Just stick with the Emby ATV app and you won't have a problem.

The Oreo channels are fed from the atv app. I much prefer them as it means less button clicks and you can see everything on the one screen.

Emby just needs to do it "properly"

That channel is currently populated with the next episodes to watch from Plex, which is the intended purpose IMO.

Is any app other than Plex populating the channel that way?

Couldn't tell you as the other apps that support its use (Netflix, Amazon prime, Google movies/tv) I don't subscribe to (although they are enabled to use it).

However I assume you're querying if Plex is misusing it? I can only refer you back to the name of the channel "play next". It's not called "in progress".

I'd say that emby was misusing it if emby is using it for anything other than items that are next in sequence to watch.

No, I just wondered if other apps were doing that as I hadn't seen it.

When we originally updated for Oreo, we did stuff a lot of content into Play Next, but we changed it because we thought it would be much more functional to provide our own targeted channels of suggestions, and next up tv, etc.  Instead of having them mixed in with all sorts of other app content. 

So far, people have liked that approach.

@ you have thoughts on this...?

Richard Branches

No, I just wondered if other apps were doing that as I hadn't seen it.

When we originally updated for Oreo, we did stuff a lot of content into Play Next, but we changed it because we thought it would be much more functional to provide our own targeted channels of suggestions, and next up tv, etc.  Instead of having them mixed in with all sorts of other app content. 

So far, people have liked that approach.

@ you have thoughts on this...?

From my understanding, the "Play Next" channel is intended as a "shortcut" to quickly start playback of any kind of video, it usually auto-add any unfinished content from any app (as long as it supports it) so we can continue to watch it from there without opening the app; we can also add any kind of video from the other channels or from inside apps (like Emby does) to create a kind of playlist so we don't have to go inside one app to watch a movie or TV show and then go inside the other app to watch the other movie or TV show because they are organized in one single list in the home screen.

Using Emby as an example with movies, when I start watching a movie and stop playback, the movie is added automatically to the "Play Next" channel so I can continue watching it from there without opening the app again,once it finishes it gets removed automatically, it really works nice in this part, even if I add the movie manually from the "Suggested for... " channel to the "Play Next", although I'm still waiting that you fix the "Resume Playback" phrase not appearing as intended.

There is one problem with TV shows though and I already commented this in comment # 7 of the topic created for this (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61679-new-android-play-next-channel/?p=638970): When I start watching one episode and stop playback, the episode is added automatically to the "Play Next" channel so I can continue watching it from there without opening the app again, once it finishes it gets removed automatically, BUT, if I add the episode manually from the "Next Up" channel, start playback and stop it, Emby creates another thumbnail of the same episode to continue watching later, it doesn't use the same thumbnail that was already added there (it works with movies though), once I finish watching the episode, the thumbnail is removed automatically and the other one stays there, meanwhile on the "Next Up" channel, I see the next episode to watch, so I believe this is what it should do instead:

Once the episode finishes, the same thumbnail of the episode I added manually should be used to display the next episode to watch, while the "Next Up" channel should display the episode to be continued after I watch the one inside the "Play Next" channel, I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here because my english is not that advanced:

When I add an episode manually:

Play Next channel = Episode one added manually

Next Up channel = Episode two waiting to be added to the Play Next channel automatically in the same thumbnail once the previous one is finished.

When I finish watching the episode:

Play Next channel = Episode two added automatically by emby in the same thumbnail

Next Up channel = Episode three waiting to be added to the Play Next channel automatically once the previous one is finished.

I guess if I remove the episode from the "Play Next" channel, it should revert the information in "Next Up" channel, so instead of displaying the next episode, it should display the same episode that was inside the "Play Next" channel.

Edited by delacosta78

i don't know what you mean by "add an episode manually".
i have several show episodes in my "next up" feed in emby itself, but none of them appear in the "play next" channel in oreo, that's where i'd expect them to be.
yes i get you created a specific emby channel for that, but that is counter intuitive IMO, as you end up with two places you have to look for content that you are currently watching.

maybe some prefer that, i don't though. a solution would be to give the end-user the option of which way they want it?

Spaceboy

Also I also use the shield for Netflix and the next episode of any NF series does not show up in that row so it seems emby is consistent at least

I’d bin the whole play next row if I could. As useful as a chocolate fireguard

horses for courses.

as i suggested, make it a user option so they can choose which method they prefer.

Also I also use the shield for Netflix and the next episode of any NF series does not show up in that row so it seems emby is consistent at least

HBO Go, Kodi and Plex are three that use it (as well as Google Play apps).

"Play Next is a merged view for all apps. The intention is that each app will contribute to the Play Next area and you have a single merged view for all your "play next" items.."

Spaceboy

horses for courses.

as i suggested, make it a user option so they can choose which method they prefer.

you miss the point, it’s obligatory and cannot be turned off

no, you have missed the point.

I wasn't talking about turning the channel off, i was talking about letting the user choose whether emby uses that channel or uses its own channel.

Spaceboy

no, you have missed the point.

I wasn't talking about turning the channel off, i was talking about letting the user choose whether emby uses that channel or uses its own channel.

and I don’t support that [emoji3]

so you don't support giving the end-user the choice, it's your way of the highway?

my option is giving the end-user a choice, yours is no choice and like it or lump it.

bravo!

Spaceboy

so you don't support giving the end-user the choice, it's your way of the highway?

my option is giving the end-user a choice, yours is no choice and like it or lump it.

bravo!

As has been stated elsewhere the rows don’t live update so it’s unlikely to ever be that accurate.

So if you are offering me the choice of wrong information or no information then I choose none every time. Which results in my clear statement that I’d happily disable the play next row full stop. I already disabled the emby suggestions and play next ones.