Help getting better mobile performance?

lightsout

troyhough

Yes, that's just the web app.  You can access the dashboard there too.

Thanks @@ebr. I found it.

Do you have any idea why watching via the Web app circumvents throttling from the ISP's versus the native Android app? Does the data flow over port 80 instead of some other port maybe?

It would make no sense why one would be faster then the other because it's the same port.  I would check your client options to make sure they aren't restrictive in some way.

troyhough

I can assure you that with Sprint, the Android app is throttled. @@lightsout says it's the same way with his testing and Verizon.

Edited by troyhough

• 1 year later...
troyhough

Ok so I just noticed that Sprint is not throttling the Emby app any longer. I haven't changed my plan so not sure if this is a Sprint change or a change that Emby has made recently in sending out the data???

Edit: After further testing, the Emby app is still throttled exactly as it was before. Sorry for the misinformation.

Edited by troyhough

troyhough
18 hours ago, Luke said:

That's great to know, thanks !

After further testing, the Emby app is still throttled exactly as it was before. The Web app/player is not throttled.  Sorry for the misinformation.

rbjtech

At the network layer - there is no difference between the web app and any other app.    The only possibility is they are analysing the way the traffic is read (not the actual content, impossible if SSL) and then throttling it.

As an EXAMPLE (don't know if this is true) -  Web server data is read in bursts of X, connection then closed.  Connection then re-opended, next batch read, then connection closed.  ie typical Web 'browser' based traffic.

Emby App is different - it opens the connection and leaves it open, streaming data until you press stop, then the connection is closed.

The traffic analysis picks up on these 'differences' and then throttles the traffic connection for the App.

Even SSL can be interrogated in this way (without needing decryption) to produce a lot of 'usage' data.

To add - it's also possible they are using DNS as the identifier (which will be transmitted in plain text) - so also probably worth trying DNS over SSL - or IP only only to see if that makes any difference.

Edited by rbjtech

troyhough
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

At the network layer - there is no difference between the web app and any other app.    The only possibility is they are analysing the way the traffic is read (not the actual content, impossible if SSL) and then throttling it.

As an EXAMPLE (don't know if this is true) -  Web server data is read in bursts of X, connection then closed.  Connection then re-opended, next batch read, then connection closed.  ie typical Web 'browser' based traffic.

Emby App is different - it opens the connection and leaves it open, streaming data until you press stop, then the connection is closed.

The traffic analysis picks up on these 'differences' and then throttles the traffic connection for the App.

Even SSL can be interrogated in this way (without needing decryption) to produce a lot of 'usage' data.

To add - it's also possible they are using DNS as the identifier (which will be transmitted in plain text) - so also probably worth trying DNS over SSL - or IP only only to see if that makes any difference.

This is probably correct. When using the Emby Android app, with network monitor enabled, I can see that as soon as I start to watch something, the data rate is high for the first second or so, then immediately is throttled to around 1.5Mb.

With the Web app/player, there doesn't appear to be any throttle (Sprint).

• Like 1

Try it over a VPN connection which should make the whole tunnel unavailable to the ISP to look at.