Help getting better mobile performance?

lightsout

You nailed it man, I knew that this plan throttled to 480p video but wasn't sure what that meant. I can do speedtests and get upwards of 60mbps at times. But when I use fast.com which is made by netflix, and I assume simulates a video feed I get 2mbps or under no matter what. Annoying but I guess thats what they allocate for a 480p stream, thank you for pointing in the right direction.

Have you tried using a VPN connection on your mobile device?  That might allow you to sneak in under the radar without your provider identifying your stream as video.

lightsout

Have you tried using a VPN connection on your mobile device? That might allow you to sneak in under the radar without your provider identifying your stream as video.

Check out my post above yours.

troyhough

I'm not so sure that the throttling is the issue. I can sure here in my home on late and quickly load up a 1080p remix. I can scan through it quickly without issue. It seems the larger problem is what happens when I got a quick dead zone while driving. Emby is unable to recover. Every other app in those areas usually has enough buffer to not be affected. If they are they will start playing again shortly after. Is there any way to adjust how far Emby will buffer ahead?

Well this is the problem with "throttling". If Youtube isn't throttled, it can download much more data and quickly when it's in good service areas. These opportunity windows could be small, so having a large pipe available makes it possible for streaming to work much better in good/bad/fluctuating areas.

However, if Emby is throttled, when you get in a good area, the pipe is small (throttled) so it's not able to "catch up" and take advantage of fast speeds to download large chunks of data quickly.

Hope this makes some sense...

Edited by troyhough
  • Like 1

troyhough

Have you tried using a VPN connection on your mobile device?  That might allow you to sneak in under the radar without your provider identifying your stream as video.

I did with Plex. Made no difference.

lightsout

Well this is the problem with "throttling". If Youtube isn't throttled, it can download much more data and quickly when it's in good service areas. These opportunity windows could be small, so having large pipe available makes it possible for streaming to work much better.

However, if Emby is throttled, when you get in a good area, the pipe is small (throttled) so it's not able to "catch up" and take advantage of fast speeds to download large chunks of data quickly.

Hope this makes some sense...

No it does. But upon further testing Emby can load up a 1080p high bitrate video no problem. Seems like no throttling. Sounds more like lack of buffer in the weak areas.

And the worse problem that when it does freeze it rarely is able to recover.

troyhough

No it does. But upon further testing Emby can load up a 1080p high bitrate video no problem. Seems like no throttling. Sounds more like lack of buffer in the weak areas.

And the worse problem that when it does freeze it rarely is able to recover.

It might be playing it perfectly because the threshold (throttle) is right at (or just above) your current download speed. As soon as you run into varying speeds, it will never recover because the pipe isn't wide open to allow it to.

What transcode/bitrate do you have it set to (over Internet)?

• Like 1

lightsout

It might be playing it perfectly because the threshold (throttle) is right at (or just above) your current download speed. As soon as you run into varying speeds, it will never recover because the pipe isn't wide open to allow it to.

What transcode/bitrate do you have it set to (over Internet)?

I was having this issue even at 480p 500kbps.

troyhough

I was having this issue even at 480p 500kbps.

Maybe you have a real shitty deadzone??? In my testing, Emby does a pretty good job recovering in almost all circumstances.

I noticed recently on the Android TV release, there is a setting now for "Player Buffer Size". I think it's Beta/Experimental because of the wording. Maybe they will bring it to Android/iOS mobile and maybe it will/won't help you.

5c5875f392e5c_IMG_20190204_110416.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
lightsout

I am still struggling on mobile. 

I know that Verizon caps speed for video at 2mbps, but I can set Emby to the lowest possible video quality, which I think is 500kbps, if there is any

hiccup in my connection, the stream never recovers. I have waited 5-10 minutes, it will just freeze and sit there, I can have full bars the entire time

and it doesn't matter.

Its not always practical to sync something to the phone, sometimes I just want to hit play, this is one of the few bummers for me about emby right now, all other streaming services work find on this commute home, its just emby that does this.

troyhough

I am still struggling on mobile. 

I know that Verizon caps speed for video at 2mbps, but I can set Emby to the lowest possible video quality, which I think is 500kbps, if there is any

hiccup in my connection, the stream never recovers. I have waited 5-10 minutes, it will just freeze and sit there, I can have full bars the entire time

and it doesn't matter.

Its not always practical to sync something to the phone, sometimes I just want to hit play, this is one of the few bummers for me about emby right now, all other streaming services work find on this commute home, its just emby that does this.

You start the stream at 500kbps in a good area, then when you go through trouble areas, it quits, and never recovers? Is this live, recorded, or both?

lightsout

You start the stream at 500kbps in a good area, then when you go through trouble areas, it quits, and never recovers? Is this live, recorded, or both?

Exactly, I start it at the low bitrate, and if it ever pauses, which it always does, it is unable to recover, I used to be able to drop the bitrate (before I set it so low) and that would essentially "retrigger" the playback and it would usually start over.

The files that I have been trying to playback are recorded TV shows, so usually 1080i .TS files. I have since begun to re-encode most of them to 1080p h264. Not sure if that will help.

troyhough

Exactly, I start it at the low bitrate, and if it ever pauses, which it always does, it is unable to recover, I used to be able to drop the bitrate (before I set it so low) and that would essentially "retrigger" the playback and it would usually start over.

The files that I have been trying to playback are recorded TV shows, so usually 1080i .TS files. I have since begun to re-encode most of them to 1080p h264. Not sure if that will help.

i would pick a bitrate and leave it. for you, probably 1.5 or 1Mbps if what you say is the case.

have you tested in a known good area (not WiFi), and just watch it for 20 or 30 minutes to see how it works there?

Edited by troyhough

lightsout

i would pick a bitrate and leave it. for you, probably 1.5 or 1Mbps if what you say is the case.

have you tested in a known good area (not WiFi), and just watch it for 20 or 30 minutes to see how it works there?

Yeah I am picking a bitrate and leaving it, I started around 1.5mbps, but as it would freeze I would lower it, so now I am at the point of dropping it to the lowest setting and it still has issues.

Yeah it works fine in known good areas. Like I said everything streaming video service does fine in the dead area, just has a hiccup sometimes.

troyhough

Yeah I am picking a bitrate and leaving it, I started around 1.5mbps, but as it would freeze I would lower it, so now I am at the point of dropping it to the lowest setting and it still has issues.

Yeah it works fine in known good areas. Like I said everything streaming video service does fine in the dead area, just has a hiccup sometimes.

Where are you? City, State?

What server platform are you using? Version?

lightsout

Southern Oregon, Grants Pass/Medford area.

Server is running on win 10 updated to the most recent stable release. (not beta)

troyhough

Southern Oregon, Grants Pass/Medford area.

Server is running on win 10 updated to the most recent stable release. (not beta)

does the server do anything else or just run Emby?

what is the cpu/memory look like on it?

is the hard drive a SSD?

lightsout

It does other stuff but not much, resources are not a problem. Cpu is Intel 4570s, with 8gb of ram, not the best but it can handle multiple streams without issue.

So I just did a test driving the same road. Emby app froze very soon, never recovered the entire drive just sat there frozen.

On the return trip I used the web browser, never froze once, I suspect the web app bypassed Verizon's throttling. I will need to test further.

legallink

Sounds like you should post this then in the respective app forum.  Similarly though, you should run the web browser going the same direction as when it froze before (same driving direction), as the handoff could be better/shorter from one direction to the other.

lightsout

Sounds like you should post this then in the respective app forum.  Similarly though, you should run the web browser going the same direction as when it froze before (same driving direction), as the handoff could be better/shorter from one direction to the other.

Yeah I will have to try it out. I am not really sure though because I can sit in my house on LTE with the app and watch a 2160p rip of Jack Ryan, the bit rate is around 29mbps, so I am not sure how VZW could be capping the app to 2mbps.

troyhough

Yeah I will have to try it out. I am not really sure though because I can sit in my house on LTE with the app and watch a 2160p rip of Jack Ryan, the bit rate is around 29mbps, so I am not sure how VZW could be capping the app to 2mbps.

Wow so I just tested and it's the same with Sprint. I can Direct Play on LTE via Emby Chrome, but they throttle the crap out of the Emby Android app. They must not be able to differentiate the data when it comes through the browser, so it passes through freely. This is great news.

So this begs to ask: what advatange(s) are there to using the Emby Android app vs. Emby on Chrome browser???

The native app can direct play more formats,it has the download feature, it can automatically detect the server, it can wake the server, etc, and other features that aren't possible in a web browser.

troyhough

The native app can direct play more formats,it has the download feature, it can automatically detect the server, it can wake the server, etc, and other features that aren't possible in a web browser.

@@Luke can you reboot the server via Chrome Android?