Help getting better mobile performance?

lightsout

lightsout

I have been using mobile lately, it seems that it does not buffer well because whenever I hit a dead spot or even s lower signal area (still LTE) the video playback freezes and never wants to restart. Youtube in the same areas hardly ever has any issues. My home connection is 20mbps, I was playing a video at 720p 1.5mbps, when it would freeze if I dropped the video quality a notch it would eventually restart. I got all the way to 480 765kbps and it finally gave up, just sits there frozen, when I do a speedtest in these areas it is any where from 5-20mbps.

Is there any way to get the video to buffer more when the signal is good so it doesn't freeze when there is a slight signal variation?

Heres my logs.

Edited by lightsout

Happy2Play

Just to clarify, you are saying your Home upload is 20mbps, correct?

rbjtech

As mobile coverage can be very sketchy, the alternative to streaming is to just use the Sync feature to download it while you on on the LAN and then auto-remove it once it's gets watched ?

I don't believe there are currently any options to increase the 'buffer' time - which would probably help here ..

lightsout

Just to clarify, you are saying your Home upload is 20mbps, correct?

Yes that is correct.

As mobile coverage can be very sketchy, the alternative to streaming is to just use the Sync feature to download it while you on on the LAN and then auto-remove it once it's gets watched ?

I don't believe there are currently any options to increase the 'buffer' time - which would probably help here ..

Its true but services like youtube work without issue. I know we are talking about two different things but it seems like there is little to no buffer as it freezes so easily, the larger problem is it never wants to start again, there are a couple places that I know is a dead spot but i will quickly have 4 bars again, it never seems to be able to recover for me. The download feature has been poor for me, as it needs to transcode the file first, I have even tried leaving emby open on my phone until I see on the server dashboard that it is done, but the last time it appeared to be saved but was actually only 1:30 minutes of an hour show.

Its true but services like youtube work without issue.

They are also not converting on the fly using your home computer, which adds it's own set of challenges.

They are also not converting on the fly using your home computer, which adds it's own set of challenges.

And they are not limited by the outbound connection of your residential internet.

lightsout

Those things are true I understand. But it would seem that if the buffer was large enough this wouldn't be an issue. The transcoding didn't seem to be the issue that is way ahead. My home internet should handle a 1mbps steam no problem.

troyhough

Those things are true I understand. But it would seem that if the buffer was large enough this wouldn't be an issue. The transcoding didn't seem to be the issue that is way ahead. My home internet should handle a 1mbps steam no problem.

Who is your mobile provider?

troyhough

Verizon

Just an FYI, cell providers don't treat all traffic the same. For example, I am on Sprint and had the exact same issue as you until I did some major digging and figured it out. Youtube (Google) was open to full throttle speed, while Plex/Emby was squeezed to nearly nothing. Google might pay providers to get un-throttled speeds, I don't really know.

I added an option ($10 additional per line) on my plan for "Ultra HD" streaming. It was 1080P HD before. Now, Plex/Emby is no longer throttled and work like they're supposed to.

Download an app called "Network Monitor" and watch the network speeds on your phone while viewing YT compared to Emby and see if what was happening to me is happening to you...

Edited by troyhough

lightsout

Just an FYI, cell providers don't treat all traffic the same. For example, I am on Sprint and had the exact same issue as you until I did some major digging and figured it out. Youtube (Google) was open to full throttle speed, while Plex/Emby was squeezed to nearly nothing. Google might pay providers to get un-throttled speeds, I don't really know.

I added an option ($10 additional per line) on my plan for "Ultra HD" streaming. It was 1080P HD before. Now, Plex/Emby is no longer throttled and work like they're supposed to.

Download an app called "Network Monitor" and watch the network speeds on your phone while viewing YT compared to Emby and see if what was happening to me is happening to you...

You make an interesting point there. I ma on vzw's cheapest unlimited plan so I know throttling is a thing. I did download an app called network monitor but I am on an iphone so it is difficult to stream and then view the app. Plus it seems to be reporting weird, as I was running a speedtest and it said 60mbps, I switched over to the app and it said 8mbps, so not sure its accurate.

I would still think a 480p video at 768mbps even when throttling should work, unless they are restricting it to 2g or something.

troyhough

You make an interesting point there. I ma on vzw's cheapest unlimited plan so I know throttling is a thing. I did download an app called network monitor but I am on an iphone so it is difficult to stream and then view the app. Plus it seems to be reporting weird, as I was running a speedtest and it said 60mbps, I switched over to the app and it said 8mbps, so not sure its accurate.

I would still think a 480p video at 768mbps even when throttling should work, unless they are restricting it to 2g or something.

There should be a setting to enable it over the top of current apps. So you should be able to read it REAL TIME without switching apps.

make you are comparing apples to apples, like MB to MB or Mbps to Mbps, etc.

From what you are saying, I bet you are in the same boat...

lightsout

There should be a setting to enable it over the top of current apps. So you should be able to read it REAL TIME without switching apps.

make you are comparing apples to apples, like MB to MB or Mbps to Mbps, etc.

From what you are saying, I bet you are in the same boat...

There's no enabling at app to sit over another in ios, I believe that is not something apple allows, but you are right the app is displaying MB/s.

troyhough

There's no enabling at app to sit over another in ios, I believe that is not something apple allows, but you are right the app is displaying MB/s.

what about at the very top in the notifications bar? is that an option?

another app i've used is network speed by Evozi. maybe try that or a different one that works better on ios.

lightsout

what about at the very top in the notifications bar? is that an option?

another app i've used is network speed by Evozi. maybe try that or a different one that works better on ios.

Yeah no notification bar mods either lol, one of the downfalls of going to ios (long time nexus user here). But thanks for the help.

troyhough

Yeah no notification bar mods either lol, one of the downfalls of going to ios (long time nexus user here). But thanks for the help.

eeeeeeek. can you temporarily (better yet, permanently) swap your device with an Android phone to test?

lightsout

eeeeeeek. can you temporarily (better yet, permanently) swap your device with an Android phone to test?

Ha no, not any device worth swapping to. 

rbjtech

If the ISP is indeed traffic shaping, then maybe change your Emby outgoing secure port to 443 (SSL) instead of the default - as they could be throttling just that port ?

troyhough

If the ISP is indeed traffic shaping, then maybe change your Emby outgoing secure port to 443 (SSL) instead of the default - as they could be throttling just that port ?

Tried that with Plex. Made no difference.

Why not "buffer" the whole file while on WIFI or in a good location on network?

You can do this using SYNC.

Essentially you can grab the file in the bitrate/resolution you want to watch it in this way and not have to worry about drop offs or any other issues that mobile providers have.

lightsout

Why not "buffer" the whole file while on WIFI or in a good location on network?

You can do this using SYNC.

Essentially you can grab the file in the bitrate/resolution you want to watch it in this way and not have to worry about drop offs or any other issues that mobile providers have.

Yeah I did this yesterday and got it working. It worked well. It's but always something planned out. It would be nice if it just worked as it should. Need to investigate the throttling.

lightsout

You nailed it man, I knew that this plan throttled to 480p video but wasn't sure what that meant. I can do speedtests and get upwards of 60mbps at times. But when I use fast.com which is made by netflix, and I assume simulates a video feed I get 2mbps or under no matter what. Annoying but I guess thats what they allocate for a 480p stream, thank you for pointing in the right direction.

troyhough

You nailed it man, I knew that this plan throttled to 480p video but wasn't sure what that meant. I can do speedtests and get upwards of 60mbps at times. But when I use fast.com which is made by netflix, and I assume simulates a video feed I get 2mbps or under no matter what. Annoying but I guess thats what they allocate for a 480p stream, thank you for pointing in the right direction.

Can you try testing some from a friend's phone (or your phone on wifi away from the house)?

lightsout

I'm not so sure that the throttling is the issue. I can sure here in my home on late and quickly load up a 1080p remix. I can scan through it quickly without issue. It seems the larger problem is what happens when I got a quick dead zone while driving. Emby is unable to recover. Every other app in those areas usually has enough buffer to not be affected. If they are they will start playing again shortly after. Is there any way to adjust how far Emby will buffer ahead?