Question about my interlaced recordings

troyhough

troyhough

Here are the audio options for Plex. It's set to Auto and it plays the same files "Direct Play".

5c50f05f47fc2_IMG_20190129_182558.jpg

Plex player uses a modified exoplayer v2. They forked the source code and modified it. They added ac3 decoding in it. That is why it is "direct playing". Dolby Digital is software decoded.

Edited by rouq

I really think there should be a way for you to configure your system to pass DD properly.  Did you investigate audio setting on your TV and Shield?

• Like 1

Plex player uses a modified exoplayer v2. They forked the source code and modified it. They added ac3 decoding in it. That is why it is "direct playing". Dolby Digital is software decoded.

Simply stated, Plex is transcoding on the player device and not on the server. Transcoding is being done nevertheless

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

troyhough

I really think there should be a way for you to configure your system to pass DD properly.  Did you investigate audio setting on your TV and Shield?

Shield has Surround Settings in Audio settings. I tried all 3. Auto, Always, Off. All 3 result in a transcode.

Remember, my 2nd Shield downstairs has no amp/receiver in the loop. It goes directly to the same model TV. Audio Transcode happens there too.

If you are saying that this is 'normal' and that Plex also transcodes (but doesn't actually say it is), and there's no way around it. I'm ok with it. Just wanted to figure out a resolution if there was one.

Thanks

What about the TV itself?  If it has an optical audio out connection, it must have options for it.  You should be able to get the TV to pass DD over that connection.

Or, did you look into the ARC channel on that TV?  I would imagine it has one.  Or does your receiver not have HDMI inputs?

troyhough

What about the TV itself?  If it has an optical audio out connection, it must have options for it.  You should be able to get the TV to pass DD over that connection.

Or, did you look into the ARC channel on that TV?  I would imagine it has one.  Or does your receiver not have HDMI inputs?

The TV only offers the option of 'Bitstream' or 'PCM'.

My Denon AV Receiver does have HDMI inputs, but not ARC.

This really isn't a big deal at all. To be honest, there's a lot of other things that need fixed (much higher priority). This is my ongoing list:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65481-new-to-emby-coming-from-plex-few-questionsissuessuggestions/

Just for clarification, the TV is what would have an Audio Return Channel, not the receiver.

What is that option on the TV set to?  I would expect it to be "Bitstream".

troyhough

Just for clarification, the TV is what would have an Audio Return Channel, not the receiver.

What is that option on the TV set to?  I would expect it to be "Bitstream".

Both the TV and Receiver need the ARC option (and enabled on both) to work.

I tried both Bitstream and PCM, doesn't seem to make any difference. The Receiver says PCM on the screen no matter what I set the TV to.

lightsout

I also have an hdhomerun. And am seeing the same behavior. I turned off deinterlacing on the server through the app but still am transcoding. Unsupported container being reported.

In my setup the shield is hooked up to a receiver that supports DD audio.

Edited by lightsout

troyhough

I also have an hdhomerun. And am seeing the same behavior. I turned off deinterlacing on the server through the app but still am transcoding. Unsupported container being reported.

Transcoding for audio only?

troyhough

@@ebr,

Ok so I just noticed that when I tune the same station, with the same program (LIVE) instead of Recorded, it Direct Plays both the Sound and Video.

Hmmmmm so now what???

Live via HDHomerun

5c588ee40e1f0_LIVE.jpg

Same Show, Recorded from same Channel, from same Tuner (HDHomerun)

5c588fa3ee8cc_RECORDED.jpg

Edited by troyhough

You have the Direct Stream Live TV option set, correct?

If so, it doesn't remux the live stream.

It does remux the recorded one because it is in an unseekable container otherwise (and we assume you will want to seek your recording).

troyhough

You have the Direct Stream Live TV option set, correct?

If so, it doesn't remux the live stream.

It does remux the recorded one because it is in an unseekable container otherwise (and we assume you will want to seek your recording).

yes i have Live TV set to "Direct Stream"