Question about my interlaced recordings

troyhough

troyhough

Just noticed last night that my 2 Shields will no longer Direct Play some local recordings from my HDHomerun. They will still Direct Play on my Phone (Pixel 2 XL) and Tablet (Nexus 7 2013).

It is spitting out "Unsupported Container".

The files are and always have been .TS and are recorded by my HDHomerun and stored on a local Synology NAS.

5c509b5949e0b_IMG_20190129_100143_1.jpg

Hi.  This is nothing new in this app.

The .ts container requires re-packaging in order to allow reliable seeking.  

However, in the case above, it is actually transcoding and we can't be sure exactly why from that screen.

We'd need to look at the ffmpeg log for that playback.

Thanks.

troyhough

I haven't noticed any transcoding from my TS files until last night, just a heads up there. If I play other shows (TS files), they Direct Play. Odd.

Here is the log from playing that show and getting transoding.

Thanks

Sid_TS_Shield_Log.txt

The source is interlaced and we are transcoding it to de-interlace it.

There are options in the app that control this.

Brings up a question @@ebr ..

Who's the better deinterlacer?

ffmpeg or a typical TV?

I have Emby doing it right now BTW.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

troyhough

I disabled 'deinterlace SD video' and that allows Direct Play (video) of the TS files that were not previously Direct Playing.

However, Audio is still being Transcoded. I checked all the same files with Plex just now and they all Direct Play on the Shield (both Audio and Video).

Is there something I can do to get Emby to Direct Play both Audio and Video?

Thanks

The recording is in Dolby Digital.  The system you are playing it on does not report support for that.

If the system doesn't support DD, then I would suggest setting the audio option in the app to "Downmix to stereo" and then it will be able to do that on the device.

But, we'd have to see a new ffmpeg log after you changed the option to see exactly what is going on.

troyhough

The recording is in Dolby Digital.  The system you are playing it on does not report support for that.

If the system doesn't support DD, then I would suggest setting the audio option in the app to "Downmix to stereo" and then it will be able to do that on the device.

But, we'd have to see a new ffmpeg log after you changed the option to see exactly what is going on.

I changed the setting to "Downmix to Stereo" and it still Transcoded the audio.

I will send Log files of both "Auto" and "Downmix to Stereo" and let you take a look.

Thanks

troyhough

Have you tried turning off the downmix option?

There is no "off" option. There's 'Auto' and 'Downmix'.

Logs were posted with the setting set to each one.

Edited by troyhough

troyhough

What is the device attached to that doesn't support DD?  Is it an old TV of some sort? Shield to Vizio 4K TV via HDMI. Vizio 4K to Denon A/V Receiver via Optical Toslink (audio only)

Can you please repeat the test with just the Downmix option enabled and send a log from the app? Just set it to 'Downmix' and sent the Log from Shield. Played Sid, S1, E29. Log sent about 4:39 CST. User: Troy

Thanks.

Edit: My 2nd Shield is just Shield to Vizio 4K TV. Same Model TV. No amp or anything. Same Audio Transcoding behavior is also happening on the 2nd Shield.

Edited by troyhough

Okay, I think this is just a situation we haven't encountered much with this device.  It is very odd for it to not support any advanced audio at all and, once we have to go through ffmpeg in order to do the container swap, it is also converting the audio because the device reports it doesn't support anything other than AAC.

Can you not hook the Shield up to the Receiver directly?  Why an optical connection - is that the only one available?

troyhough

Okay, I think this is just a situation we haven't encountered much with this device.  It is very odd for it to not support any advanced audio at all and, once we have to go through ffmpeg in order to do the container swap, it is also converting the audio because the device reports it doesn't support anything other than AAC.

Can you not hook the Shield up to the Receiver directly?  Why an optical connection - is that the only one available?

I edited my last post to include this:

My 2nd Shield is just Shield to Vizio 4K TV via HDMI. Same Model TV. No amp or anything. Same Audio Transcoding behavior is also happening on the 2nd Shield.

The Denon amp doesn't support 4K or 4K passthrough so to get max resolution from the Shield, I go directly to the 4K TV via HDMI. The TV only has Toslink Optical for Audio Out. I'm pretty sure that is the case with most, if not all TV's.

Edited by troyhough

The TV only has Toslink Optical for Audio Out. I'm pretty sure that is the case with most, if not all TV's.

Many newer TVs first HDMI input is labeled "ARC".  This stands for Audio Return Channel and it can be used to pass audio to your receiver.

troyhough

Many newer TVs first HDMI input is labeled "ARC".  This stands for Audio Return Channel and it can be used to pass audio to your receiver.

Some (most?) soundbars only have Toslink input. Sonos for example. Seems fairly important to just fix it?

Some (most?) soundbars only have Toslink input. Sonos for example. Seems fairly important to just fix it?

Fix what exactly?

Your system - the way it is currently configured, does not support any advanced audio.  Therefore, we are converting the audio to something your system supports.

Since a conversion is already taking place on the server, the audio is being converted there.  Could we not convert it there and, instead, do the conversion in the app (after the first conversion on the server)?  Perhaps, but does that really make any sense - to convert twice in two different processes instead of just taking care of it once?

My suggestion about ARC was really just for clarification that most TVs do provide a method other than optical for audio and, also, to maybe find a way for you to get DD out of your system :).

BTW - You may also want to explore the audio options on both the Shield and your TV and try some different settings because there may be a way to configure it to allow DD to pass over that optical cable (as long as it isn't DD+).

troyhough

Fix what exactly?

I don't know. Plex plays the exact same files from the exact same setup via Direct Play. No Transcoding.