Plex to Emby - My Initial Feedback

chenks

So I have a very mature plex library, and i'm now running Emby (currently 4.1.0.1 beta) in parallel.

I'm going to use this thread (hope you don't mind) to pick up on things that Emby does better, things that Plex does better, and things in the Emby UI that I think are slightly counter intuitive... all are just my opinions though.

Web UI Favouries / Watched-Unwatched Flags
when looking at "Favourites", the horizontal scrolling is poor IMO. Horizontal scrolling in general is poor but in this screen it isn't very intuitive. Also, for movies you get a green tick for something that has been watched, but no green tick for a TV show that has been watched. In fact you have the opposite where you get a green circle with a number for any unwatched items - so you have two UI opposites at work. A green icon for unwatched and a green icon for watched.

Some UI consistently would be good? Personally i feel a green tick for a watched item is un-necessary and only unwatched items needs a flag on them.

5c44eaeb93e83_Capture.jpg

Emby Premiere "ads"
The green "get emby premiere" button at the top i have no problem with, Plex has the same.
But the random times i've seen an ad to get Premier or Theatre appear in the main library home screen is annoying.
I don't use any devices where Emby Theatre is available so being able to opt-out of those prompts would be nice. Certainly having them appear amongst your own content is bit annoying.

Google Home Integration
I see this feature is only available to Emby Premiere customers. As that is the only feature that i'd want/use it's hard to justify paying $100+ dollars for it (or paying $4 a month for it). Although Plex doesn't even that this available yet (only Alexa support at present).

Web UI General
The web UI in general is quite slick and fast, but as i've mentioned the green tick icon for watch/unwatched is different depending on what type of library you are looking at. Is there support for Rotten Tomatoes?

TV Shows
Is it possible to "flatten" TV shows that only have 1 season/series? ie so rather than having to click on the show then click on season 1, it automatically shows the episodes from season 1 when you click on the tv show? Plex does this.

Android TV App
I'm probably in a minority but I actually like the current UI of the plex android TV app. Maybe i'm just used to it, but it looks more "modern" when compared to the Emby app. I know Emby complies with the "standards" of Android TV, but even Google don't comply with that these days (Youtube app as an example moved away from those strict guidelines).

These are just my initial thoughts and it's probably mostly negative things, but that's just the things that stick out at the moment.
There are plenty of plus points though and i'll document them as a play with it more.
My playback devices are Sony KD-43XD8305 Android TV, Google Pixel 2, and an Amazon FireTV stick.

• Like 1

TV Shows

Is it possible to "flatten" TV shows that only have 1 season/series? ie so rather than having to click on the show then click on season 1, it automatically shows the episodes from season 1 when you click on the tv show? Plex does this.

Yes we'd like to add this in the future.

Android TV App

A new update will be out soon with a whole new design that I think you'll enjoy.

• Like 1

is the "Watched-Unwatched Flags" being different dependant on the library something by design?

any way to stop the Emby Theatre and Premiere ads from appearing within the library UI?
Capture555.jpg

i think basically my ideal situation would be the Plex UI but with the Emby backend  :lol:

Edited by chenks

is the "Watched-Unwatched Flags" being different dependant on the library something by design?

It is something we are aware of as we just recently changed the behavior with "container" objects to highlight unwatched content instead of watched.

We know this is inconsistent with "single" objects right now and that is just because we have shown the watched tick like that for so long that we know any change there is going to cause an uproar.  We may have to have an option in the future for this but that is something that every single app in the system will need to adjust to simultaneously.

any way to stop the Emby Theatre and Premiere ads from appearing within the library UI?

Yes, there is but I think you already know what that is...

This behavior is really the same as a "free" app vs. a paid one.

Thanks for the feedback.

i don't mind the constant green button at the top of each page, but adding it inline with your media a little much IMO.

maybe a "don't show me this again" tick box to opt-out?

legallink

i don't mind the constant green button at the top of each page, but adding it inline with your media a little much IMO.

I don't think it's any different than an ad supported model, except here, they are only advertising their own stuff, as opposed to getting paid by a third party to display an ad.

I don't think it's any different than an ad supported model, except here, they are only advertising their own stuff, as opposed to getting paid by a third party to display an ad.

indeed i'm not saying it is different, but we already have a static "get emby premiere" button at the top of every page - i have no problem with that.

it's the additional ad that gets randomly inserted inline with your own media that is a little annoying.

so here's a question then, how much to get rid of the ad? yes i know what the cost of emby premiere is, but there is nothing in that package that interests me, so paying $100 or $4pm to get rid of an ad is overkill. what nominal fee would be appropriate to opt-out of the ad permanently?

So you are saying that nothing in the entire system that you are using is worth the price of Premiere?

Gilgamesh_48

Really people should not think of "Premier" as adding feature but rather they should think of it as supporting the developers.

The developers need to make money from their efforts.

I really think Emby or Plex or Kodi or just about any quality software should not be free. Good developers deserve to be supported by their customers.

• Like 3

So you are saying that nothing in the entire system that you are using is worth the price of Premiere?

not for my use case, no

Offline Media - i have no use case for offline media. 99.9% of my content viewing is done at home

Emby DVR - my TV STB provides me with DVR capabilities already, which i can already stream thru-out the house

Free Apps - i'll pay for the app on its own

Cover Art - I prefer to use the stock art from themoviedb

Cinema Mode - no use case for trailers or intros

Cloud Sync - I have my own backup solutions in place

Emby Theatre (correct spelling :) ) - I use Android TV so this isn't applicable to me

Automatically convert content - my content is already in the correct format before it gets added to emby

Folder Sync - Again, i have my own backup solutions in place

Backup and Restore - see above

Podcasts - I don't require any "extra content" other than my own

Smart Home - the only i have limited interest in as i have a "google home" environment, but this one feature i don't value at $4pm or $100 lifetime, and i doubt i'd use google home to ask it to play anything from emby to be honest.

so yeah the Emby Premiere package doesn't really offer anything to me, but if a nominal fee allowed the ads to be removed then that would be a fee i'd pay (assuming it was a sensible fee).

Really people should not think of "Premier" as adding feature but rather they should think of it as supporting the developers.

The developers need to make money from their efforts.

I really think Emby or Plex or Kodi or just about any quality software should not be free. Good developers deserve to be supported by their customers.

i agree, but what fee would be considered for a one-off purchase ?

my thoughts are that each of those features in Premiere could be bundled off at $5 each (for example) to enable for the lifetime of the product.

you the might get more income from people who ordinarly wouldn't buy Premiere.

not for my use case, no

Offline Media - i have no use case for offline media. 99.9% of my content viewing is done at home

Emby DVR - my TV STB provides me with DVR capabilities already, which i can already stream thru-out the house

Emby Theatre (correct spelling :) ) - I use Android TV so this isn't applicable to me

Automatically convert content - my content is already in the correct format before it gets added to emby

Smart Home - the only i have limited interest in as i have a "google home" environment, but this one feature i don't value at $4pm or $100 lifetime, and i doubt i'd use google home to ask it to play anything from emby to be honest.

so yeah the Emby Premiere package doesn't really offer anything to me, but if a nominal fee allowed the ads to be removed then that would be a fee i'd pay (assuming it was a sensible fee).

I'm talking about all of the features you are currently using for free - not the ones we currently require for Premiere.

You are basically saying that the system you are using is not worth the price to remove these "ads".  That is just what I wanted to clarify.

Thanks.

• Like 1

do i value it at $100? no.

do i value it at something? yes.

emby android mobile app - i've paid for that

emby android tv app - i'll pay for it once i've decided to use emby permanently

emby firetv app  - i'll pay for it once i've decided to use emby permanently

so yes, i pay for the apps.
would i pay something for the server? most definitely, but not $100.

but as the only way to remove the ads is to pay for emby premiere then it's moot point as currently that is your pricing structure?
if there is another way to donate to remove the ads then it's certainly an option i'd take (assuming it wasn't $100)

What's the base value of being able to have organized content readily available for you to stream your own content anytime any where just like Netflix?

You don't think that's worth roughly a buck a week paid yearly?

Maybe Emby should adopt Google Ads and use them 90% of the time instead of the "get emby premiere" message OR have them kick in after a couple weeks of use with no premier.  Then they could make the clients "free" and still make some peanut revenue from them.  This isn't charity software and the devs deserve the right to put food on their tables.  :)

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

elpirate

What's the base value of being able to have organized content readily available for you to stream your own content anytime any where just like Netflix?

You don't think that's worth roughly a buck a week paid yearly?

Maybe Emby should adopt Google Ads and use them 90% of the time instead of the "get emby premiere" message OR have them kick in after a couple week of use with no premier. Then they could make the clients "free" and still make some peanut revenue from them. This isn't charity software and the devs deserve the right to put food on their tables. :)

100% Agree. Emby is a superior platform to Plex, albeit Plex has more reach / compatability with more devices (at the moment anyway).

The advert on the top right is so discreet it's hardly noticeable so a non issue IMO.

Bit of nit picking going on in this thread.

The benefits of the free Emby outweighs the benefits of the paid Plex from where I sit and I've used both.

Edited by elpirate
  • Like 2

elpirate

surely that would give the opposite? emby UI with plex backend?

No if the main system is Emby and you wanted to see a Plex UI, you would need a plugin of sorts to mod the Emby UI to look like Plex, hence a "Plex Plugin for Emby".

Not that it will ever happen anyway, nor should it!

If you want a better / different UI than the Emby version explore using Kodi and the EmbyCon add-on. It's brilliant!

Deathsquirrel

They have one.  It costs $100 for a lifetime removal.  It also includes some other features which I find to be a nice addition.

• Like 1

abescalamis

not for my use case, no

For what you describe, I would use Kodi clients with the emby server or Kodi all alone, because you don't stream online and you don't use any of the features that make Emby and Plex worth the money.

But if you would use any of the premiun features you will see that $100 is worth it, I started using Kodi only; then plex and last Emby, and as of now I use Emby server and kodi clients for the TVs at home, I only stream music to my phone when in my car.

The only premiere feature I use is the cover art, my main reason to buy it was the support and the settings that emby has which are way more than plex and it gave me more control over my media, when I came to the forum the first time I made a post asking information and literally just a couple of minutes I had a response from Luke, that alone made me buy it, when I had plex I never see anythig like it.

I even have a theory that Luke is a bot, LOL, I wonder at what time does he code, sleep or eat he is always giving support here.

Edited by abescalamis
  • Like 1

100% Agree. Emby is a superior platform to Plex, albeit Plex has more reach / compatability with more devices (at the moment anyway).

The advert on the top right is so discreet it's hardly noticeable so a non issue IMO.

Bit of nit picking going on in this thread.

The benefits of the free Emby outweighs the benefits of the paid Plex from where I sit and I've used both.

if you had actually read what i posted then the ad in the top right is not what i'm talking about, in fact i clearly said i have no issue with that one.

the ad i did have some issue with was the one that gets placed inline with your own content.

so may try reading properly before commenting!

elpirate

if you had actually read what i posted then the ad in the top right is not what i'm talking about, in fact i clearly said i have no issue with that one.

the ad i did have some issue with was the one that gets placed inline with your own content.

so may try reading properly before commenting!

What this one:

5c46cc77e1e08_emby.png

Sorry, I hadn't even noticed it was there TBH.

Then again, I hardly look at the web app. I use Kodi + EmbyCon. Brilliant setup.

Looking at it now, I dont see it as intrusive at all, but that's my view.

Maybe stick to Plex if it bothers you that much.

Personally, I will be paying the lifetime subscription for Emby very shortly, mainly to support the developers.

There responsiveness on this forum and delivery of product IMO is second to none.

Edited by elpirate