Plex to Emby - My Initial Feedback

chenks

ach nah, too much work!

thought it was going to be like plex kodi add-on, where it actually has it's on GUI sitting on top of kodi.

can't be arsed with installing skins and shit.

ach nah, too much work!

thought it was going to be like plex kodi add-on, where it actually has it's on GUI sitting on top of kodi.

To install the skin is a single click then agreeing to accept the change of skin

nah can't be arsed.

plex for kodi is simply installing the add-on and running.

not fannying about with skin cloner add-ons as well.

abescalamis

Wow, LMAO, you are very hard to please, I'm sure that no matter what, Emby nor Plex will fullfil your needs 100%, that is why we recommended you to use kodi clients it does exactly what you said you wanted, but you said is too much work. With that being you will have to live with what you dislike from the free versions of the program.

Angus Black

Once EmbyCon is installed applying the Embuary skin takes approximately 30 seconds.

It's in the same repository as EmbyCon.

I use the Embuary skin in Kodi to view local media without EmbyCon.

elpirate

ach nah, too much work!

LoL you can't be assed installing 1 more add-on?

You then use my descriptive advice I provide to assist you to put Plex up a level in your mind and in this public forum because of this?

I think maybe you should return to Plex as it is clearly your preferred media management option.

Plenty of assistive advice has come your way in this thread to answer your questions, yet you dismiss and degrade them and your view remains the same.

If its too much for you to expand your mind enough to see the benefits of Emby over Plex, then simply stick to what you know (and want).

Edited by elpirate

Wow, LMAO, you are very hard to please, I'm sure that no matter what, Emby nor Plex will fullfil your needs 100%, that is why we recommended you to use kodi clients it does exactly what you said you wanted, but you said is too much work. With that being you will have to live with what you dislike from the free versions of the program.

you can wow until your heart is content.

LoL you can't be assed installing 1 more add-on?

You then use my descriptive advice I provide to assist you to put Plex up a level in your mind and in this public forum because of this?

I think maybe you should return to Plex as it is clearly your preferred media management option.

Plenty of assistive advice has come your way in this thread to answer your questions, yet you dismiss and degrade them and your view remains the same.

If its too much for you to expand your mind enough to see the benefits of Emby over Plex, then simply stick to what you know (and want).

yes correct, 1 more add-on is "fannying about" in my eyes. do it in 1 add-on or not at all. having to use kodi to workaround issue that standard emby has it not a desired outcome. if that was the case then plex with the kodi addon would suffice (a kodi add-on that does it all with 1 add-on i might add).

the second line of your post you'll need to try typing again, i can make no sense of it.

this thread wasn't about asking for advice, it was simply to share my thoughts on the process of trying to move from plex to emby.

my mind is expanded quite well thanks. maybe you should open your mind to accepting that not all will agree with your opinions.

yes correct, 1 more add-on is "fannying about" in my eyes. do it in 1 add-on or not at all. having to use kodi to workaround issue that standard emby has it not a desired outcome. if that was the case then plex with the kodi addon would suffice (a kodi add-on that does it all with 1 add-on i might add).

The Embycon, Emby for Kodi and Embruary add-ons for Kodi are all developed independently by different developers

Angus Black

I run both Plex and Emby for now. I prefer the Emby Roku client over the new Plex app but am much more familiar with the Plex server.

Are you using Plex for Kodi or PlexKodiConnect?

One reason to have Embycon and Embruary separate is some people don't want to use Kodi for Emby alone.

Edited by Angus Black

elpirate

the second line of your post you'll need to try typing again, i can make no sense of it.

this thread wasn't about asking for advice, it was simply to share my thoughts on the process of trying to move from plex to emby.

my mind is expanded quite well thanks. maybe you should open your mind to accepting that not all will agree with your opinions.

Haha righto I'm not the one who started this thread to share thoughts about a new product that I am exploring.

I'm assuming you are running the same "conversation" in the Plex forums?

Your comments suggest you are ultimately not looking for responses or community engagement, you merely want a place to journal your experiences with changing from Plex to Emby.

Might I add I'm not sure why you are changing anyway, it's clear that Plex is a more suitable product for you in your own mind.

Most in here know the differences between Plex and Emby, so your experiences hold little weight with them.

Anyway good luck with Plex, if you are happy with the factual limited offerings of it vs Emby and are only interested in out of the box functionality, then that's your prerogative.

Edited by elpirate

elpirate

Even if scrolling through thumbnails (which Plex does support) is too much, simply having a next/previous chapter button would do the trick for me. On my LG Smart TV, Plex maps left and right to the time skip and up and down to chapters. Works a charm.

Had a look at Kodi, which also supports 3D and does have previous/next chapter buttons, but browsing for a film is an awful experience on there. I like being able to look at poster thumbnails, rather than just a list. Got horribly lost in the navigation multiple times as well.

Kodi has many custom views, looking at poster thumbnails is achievable.

Tap left to bring up the side panel menu, then change the view to wall, infowall or whatever suits.

Screw navigating in list view!

• 1 month later...
d21mike

I've commented about the contradiction of the green circle for movies which indicated WATCHED while in TV Shows the Green circle means UNWATCHED (and a number for the episode count). I too think movies should change to mark unwatched only so this is consitant.

Flatten TV Shows like Plex does it is nice and I do miss that feature as well.  This would be ESPECIALLY helpful in DVR recordings as it's quite likely you don't have multiple seasons showing up.

We completely disagree on Android TV UI.  I like the Emby layout so much better.  You can choose horizontal vs vertical grids (in the beta about to be released), have quick access to watched/unwatched, and the way favorites is implemented in Emby is far superior to anything Plex has.  This way I can select 30 shows out of 500+ I have to "follow" easily.  Combine the use of favorites and UNWATCHED and I always have content I can get to quickly.

Not only that but in Emby I can choose the size of my posters. Can't do this in Plex which drives me nuts as the posters are SO BIG.  On my 75" TV this is a ridiculous use of space.  In Emby I can set the poster size to small and see a whole lot more content per screen which makes navigation so much better!

Emby Android TV starts playing media a lot faster then Plex does as well.  It also supports higher bitrates reliable.  I've got 4K content that when direct played in Plex is choppy while it plays perfect in Emby.

Also in the Beta Emby is doing Refresh rates correct while Plex is not.  For example if you record or playback  1080i content Plex will deinterlace it but only show the content at 29.97 Hz vs Emby at 59.94 Hz so it's smooth as butter.  Plex is throwing out half the temporal resolution.

The two clients really are worlds apart when you dive down and really use them.  I run a few different media server products but to me the Emby Android TV app is the "FLAG SHIP" of all clients by any vendor.

Which Beta Version are you talking about and when do you think it will be released?  Then main think I miss now from PLEX is the watch/unwatched TABS.  I also like the recent/latest released.  For that I change my ALL to sort by date added.  Would be nice to have TABS for my most used selections.  My version is 4.0.2.0.

Oh.  My client is Apple TV (as of 03/11/19 current) and Synology Server

Edited by d21mike

Sorry, I was referring to the work in progress of the Android TV app which is likely going to have the UI that other apps will copy from as much as possible.  Sorry for not making that more clear.