Library Scan slow after upgrade from 3.5.3.0 to 4.0.0.2

jmccl069

jmccl069

I recently upgraded from 3.5.3.0 to 4.0.0.2 using the following instructions from Makarai:

pkg install libraw

service emby
-server stop
pkg add
-f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.0.0.2/emby-server-freebsd_4.0.0.2_amd64.txz
service emby-server start

Upgrade went smoothly and after initial database upgrade, library scan (4 & a half hours) and reinstall of some plugins, everything worked great...

I added some more media and did a manual library scan which took around 40 minutes (3.5.3.0 would scan in ~10 mins).

I have done a couple more scans and get the same results around 40 minutes per scan. The scan gets to around 90% in about 5 minutes and then the last 10% takes the rest of the time.

Any ideas about why it takes longer?

jmccl069

Thanks Luke...

Server log is attached...

I reset the server & performed a library rescan... 39 minutes...

And I was mistaken... 90% in 2 minutes...

Emby wasn't being used at the time...

emby-server-log.txt

Edited by jmccl069
  • Like 1

jmccl069

@@jmccl069 have you allowed the initial scan following the upgrade to complete?

Yes, all scans have run to completion:

• Initial library scan after database upgrade (took approx 4 1/2 hours)
  • Chapter image extraction (took >24 hours - subsequent runs are around 2 mins)
  • Refresh people (36 mins)

I have also upgraded to 4.0.1.0 - No change in scan times (it still reaches approx 90% in around 2 mins and then takes a further 38 mins to complete).

I went into the library section and watched the scan of individual libraries and saw it scan all of my media within 2 mins finishing with my "Video Movies" library (which brought it to 90%). After this it didn't display any more progress in the "library" section but still took another 40 odd mins to complete the scan.

I have attached the latest log after the last scan this morning (33 mins).

Thanks.

emby-server-log2.txt

Can you enable debug logging under Logs, then restart the server, repeat the test, and then supply a new log once the scan finishes? While you are there, can you eyeball it and try to identify roughly what line the log file was at when the scan reached 90%? thanks !

jmccl069

Can you enable debug logging under Logs, then restart the server, repeat the test, and then supply a new log once the scan finishes? While you are there, can you eyeball it and try to identify roughly what line the log file was at when the scan reached 90%? thanks !

Done... New log attached...

It got to 90% roughly 1 min and 10 seconds after I hit the Scan Media Library button... then it crawled the rest of the way to 100% (34:43 total)...

The time on my Windows 10 desktop had just ticked over to 19:35pm when I hit the scan button. Emby Server runs on my FreeNAS server which gets the time from an NTP server as does my windows desktop so they should be fairly close to being in sync.

It got to about 94% around 20:06pm and completed the rest of the scan in around 3 mins...

Thanks for you help trying to sort this for me...

emby-server-log3-debug.txt

jmccl069

What content types are your libraries set up with?

They are just Movies, TV Shows and Music Videos...

BluRay Movies (Movies), BluRay Music (Movies), DVD Movies (Movies) and DVD Music (Movies) are all .iso images

TV Series (TV Shows), Video Movies (Movies) and Music Videos (Music Videos) are all single video files (mkv / mp4 / avi / xvid, etc...)

Camera Uploads (which is empty is "Home videos & photos")

Collections (which is also empty is "Mixed content")

Recorded TV is also "mixed content".

Edited by jmccl069

• 2 weeks later...
jmccl069

I just upgraded to the latest Beta Release 4.1.0.8 using:

service emby-server stop
pkg add
-f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.1.0.8/emby-server-freebsd_4.1.0.8_amd64.txz
service emby-server start

The issue appears to have been resolved... latest library scan took 4 minutes and 24 seconds...

Thanks for the release @@Luke