61 replies to this topic

#21 shavid0610 OFFLINE  

shavid0610

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 08:09 PM

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

If that's the version you see, no it did not work.  It should be .317.  Try to update to that.

Thanks.

I have now correctly installed the 317 beta EMC and my collections are still not nested or collapsed into collections,  I have tried it with and without the "Collapse Movies Into Collections" box ticked but it made no difference.

I don't want to change the Movie folder to a mixed collection folder if the intention in to change it to the same formatting at some point.

#22 One2Go OFFLINE  

One2Go

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Local time: 04:09 PM

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

You can only make that decision to change the content type or not. However for +1000 movies it took just about 10 minutes. If there is an advantage to change back to type Movies it will take again just a few minutes. In the meantime the setup and display works the way it always has. Again your choice, your time, your preference.

#23 wakachiwaka OFFLINE  

wakachiwaka

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:57 PM

I am also running v4.0.1.0 and the EMC beta. I deleted one of my smaller movie libraries and recreated it as a mixed content library. The extra folder layers remain. No joy.  :(

My setup is identical to the ones you both use, naming of movies as well as structure. I finally solved this a few days ago and I am not sure if this is the best, but I did not want to hassle with a roll back so this is what I did and it only took a very short time.

1. Updated to server 4.01.0 and the latest EMC beta 3.317 this solves most problems but in the EMC beta there is no longer a tick box for Legacy browsing.

2. I deleted all the libraries that were Content = Movies

3. Recreated the libraries with Content = Mixed and you no longer have the extra click and the collections under the top folder are either first in the Web client or are in alphabetic order in the EMC with Throg's themes.

I really don't know if that is a solution for the future, but since the devs are busy fixing other more pressing issues and since the conversion of the libraries was quick and uncomplicated I decided for this solution for the moment as I could not handle the broken legacy view for the movies. It worked fine for the TV Shows.

#24 One2Go OFFLINE  

One2Go

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:15 AM

No idea what to say. First I did a trial with a library of 10 movies and it was successful. Next I tried My Animation 120 movies then the dodgy library with close to 300 movies and then PG library with close to 600 movies without a hitch.

How does it look like in the Web Client do your folders show up first? Does the sort selection show Sort by Folders?

In my selection I do have in the Top folder a file named folder.xml this file has just contains the minimal part so that it displays a description in the Top folder view.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes" ?> 
  <Title>
  <LocalTitle>Jean Paul Belmondo Collection</LocalTitle> 
  <OriginalTitle>Jean Paul Belmondo Collection</OriginalTitle> 
  <SortTitle>Belmondo Collection</SortTitle> 
  <IMDBrating>8.0</IMDBrating> 
  <ProductionYear>1960 – 1981</ProductionYear> 
  <Persons></Persons> 
  <Genres></Genres> 
  <Description> He made his screen debut in 1957. However, the breakthrough role in Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless (1960) made him one of the key figures in the French New Wave. Since mid-60s he completely switched to commercial mainstream pictures and became a big comedy and action star in France. Following the example of Alain Delon he founded his own production company Cerito named after his grandmother's maiden name. He still appears in the movies but not so often as before preferring mostly dramatic roles. The president of France distinguished him with order of Legion of Honour. &#10;
● À Bout de Souffle (Breathless)
● Flic ou Voyou (Cop or Hood)
● The Professional</Description> 
  <IMDB></IMDB> 
  <Budget></Budget> 
  <Revenue></Revenue> 
  <LocalTrailer>
  <URL></URL> 
  <Type>1</Type> 
  </LocalTrailer>
  </Title>

Then below this top folder with all its images I have 3 folders with the corresponding movies plus images and metadata and they display correctly.

Finally check your settings in the EMC configuration and uncheck the part that says collapse into subfolders. Also what theme are you running? I am using the Throgsoft themes.

#25 wakachiwaka OFFLINE  

wakachiwaka

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:21 AM

How does it look like in the Web Client do your folders show up first? Does the sort selection show Sort by Folders?

You know, after my latest experiments, I've only been looking at the web client, as I assumed EMC would behave in much the same way. I should have checked. It turns out that while the web client shows all those extra folder levels, EMC does not. I also discovered a new toggle in EMC's configs labeled "Auto Enter Single Item Folders," which does away with the extra click-through even in non-mixed content folders, so that makes me a bit happier (although it would be nice if the web client had the same option).

Now, however, I'm seeing a new issue with the way EMC displays my content: See, I have my media divided up into categories (movies, cartoons, music docus, standup comedy, etc.), with multiple subfolders within each category, and in most cases, the subfolders go many layers deep. Now, EMC displays the top level libraries as always, but within each library, it simply shows all movies at once, without respect to the folder hierarchy (except, in the one library I recreated as mixed-content, the movies are sorted in alphabetical folder order - i.e., all the movies in the Disney folder, followed by all the movies in the Looney Tunes folder, et cetera. The libraries with content specified as movies seem to apply some random logic to sorting, even though they are set to sort by name.). The web client, however, displays all folders in their proper hierarchy. I do use the folder.xml at the top level of folders which have multiple movie subfolders, and so those folders appear in their proper sorting order where a sorting preference is specified in the xml data. Single-movie folders, though, do not have a folder.xml file, and if I try to add one, the web client does not honor the data therein.

Also, another new problem: I'm using the Neo theme, and in most folders I have the view set to Mercury: Poster. Now in this view all my movie poster art is stretched horizontally, so that each poster is too wide.

So, one problem tentatively solved, at least where EMC proper is concerned, and a couple more newly discovered.

#26 One2Go OFFLINE  

One2Go

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:04 AM

In my entire libraries I have no longer any library with Content = Movies, they all are now either Content = TV Shows or Content = Mixed. In my EHS the libraries are listed from there I go into Animations, Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos, Documentaries and Sports. I use Throgmorton's themes paid $50 for his 10 themes and he is the ONLY one left to support themes for EMC except the free one Chocolate which is EBR's creation. It is worth to me to support such dedication and the navigation plus informative display is bar none tops.

In my Web client the nested folders come first and then the movies in alphabetical order. The same in the EMC client.

Look at some of the screen shots that I posted in the following threads as well as more of the similar problems discussed in those threads. To best of my knowledge this has not been solved and the change of content may not be the final solution. Since my setup now works to my liking I have disabled all updates for my HTPC and will deal with newer versions on my QNAP NAS.

Similar to legacy / nested folder views (Collections)

https://emby.media/c...ections-in-emc/

My experience on updating the server and EMC with some problems.

https://emby.media/c...mes-experience/

Folder stacking and again some screen shots.

https://emby.media/c...lders-stacking/

Hope you get your problem solved I know it is a pain for the Devs to sort through all the issues.

#27 shavid0610 OFFLINE  

shavid0610

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:15 AM

Hi all

So finally got sick of looking at my movie collections running around loose in the my movie view on EMC so I deleted the movie folder from the Configure Emby Dashboard and re-imported it as a Mixed Content folder.

Sadly, no luck.  My collections are still not showing up in WMC as a collection.

What do I need to do to get it to gat back to the way it was where all the movies in collections would be under a folder ie "Star Wars Collection" folder would have all the star wars movies under it?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank You

Edited by shavid0610, 07 March 2019 - 12:10 AM.

#28 StingerMeGood OFFLINE  

StingerMeGood

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 AM
  • LocationToowoomba, Australia

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:23 AM

I am fairly annoyed that a system that was put in place from the beginning, a guideline to folder structures by the devs, has been made redundant without so much as a question to the users. And now we just have to change our entire media folder structure over because they went in a new direction. Pretty shitty move to be honest. I love this program, and have no intention of leaving it. Just sucks I have to stay on an old version until I get phased out...

#29 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46352 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

I am fairly annoyed that a system that was put in place from the beginning, a guideline to folder structures by the devs, has been made redundant without so much as a question to the users. And now we just have to change our entire media folder structure over because they went in a new direction. Pretty shitty move to be honest. I love this program, and have no intention of leaving it. Just sucks I have to stay on an old version until I get phased out...

Hi. We apologize but this happened years ago with lots and lots of discussion around it...

It just became impossible for us to continue to support something we had moved away from a long time ago.

Thanks.

#30 One2Go OFFLINE  

One2Go

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

Hi. We apologize but this happened years ago with lots and lots of discussion around it...

It just became impossible for us to continue to support something we had moved away from a long time ago.

Thanks.

To be fare to the users comment, I just did a quick search and in the release notes and announcements for version 4 of Emby server, there is not a single mentioning of legacy folders and when searching for folders in the 5 page release note you do have comments of people complaining about not having a display of collections that are grouped under a single folder.

I do believe that you have discussed how to go forward but perhaps only in the dev sections or beta sections but the average user could not have known and in hind side I also believe you underestimated the impact this change would have on your uses. I know you frequently mentioned that the Legacy view is legacy and no longer supported but that is buried in threads when it should have been in the release notes and announcements with a glaring appearance of BE AWARE. I personally would have thought twice before updating.

As expressed by @StingerMeGood I also do like Emby and fully support it, but love to be in an informed position so that I can decide what to do. From my posts here in the forum, you can see I am trying to help people to get back to a setup with version 4.* that resembles the navigation, display and structure what users of version 3.* were used to and want some of the enhancements of version 4.* For me the only reason for updating to version 4.* was ONLY live TV nothing else since I am in the EMC world. Those type of users got the short end of the stick when updating.

Also @StingerMeGood expected that a path or a guide by the devs would be provided that helps those users with the legacy folder problem to get back to using Emby rather then fixing their setup. I am now on version 4.0.1.0 and have instituted a practice to dissect release announcements post questions regarding changes to nested folders then update the server and if it doesn't work rename the old server folder and delete the updated server folder. This would serve well to all those that complain about the legacy folder changes, they have an updated Data Base and an easy way to stay at a release that they are happy with. Again @StingerMeGood expected something similar from the devs here not from users that are trying to get back to what they had with a new server version.

Again I am fully supportive of Emby and hopefully this experience will contribute to a smoother migration to the next major update.

• StingerMeGood likes this

#31 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46352 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

I understand but the discussions I was referring to took place a long time ago.  Here is one example from 2017:

Old style Collections\Boxset finally deprecated?

We tried to continue to support these types of structures for as long as we could but could no longer let it hold back other functionality.

Thanks.

#32 One2Go OFFLINE  

One2Go

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:21 PM

I understand but the discussions I was referring to took place a long time ago.  Here is one example from 2017:

Old style Collections\Boxset finally deprecated?

We tried to continue to support these types of structures for as long as we could but could no longer let it hold back other functionality.

Thanks.

I posted in that thread, but it was not made clear if just the folders with the "[boxset]" feature or collection feature was effected. It would have been helpful for all of us that now have to find a way to get back to the look and feel of version 3.* to state what the LAST version is that provides this functionality and look and feel for the nested folder structure. It would be helpful to keep the clientele using the BDMV folder structure in EMC aware of the versions that work and what the last version is that provides this functionality in case you decide to change that also.

Bottom line please keep those users informed that are happy with their present setup in case that an update would make them loose their preferences. In that way no complaining and an informed user can make the decision to update or stay with the current server version.

All of us appreciate the hard work you do and we are ready to help monetarily and otherwise as you are trying to take Emby to a new level. But just from the reading of some comments in this forum, some users are still happy with Media Browser 2.6.* so some of us will be happy to stop updating our servers with a version that fills our current needs. We just need to know what that version is. We keep our eyes peeled on the release notes and announcements not necesarily on the forum threads.

Edited by One2Go, 16 March 2019 - 12:23 PM.

#33 shavid0610 OFFLINE  

shavid0610

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:22 AM

As expressed by @StingerMeGood I also do like Emby and fully support it, but love to be in an informed position so that I can decide what to do. From my posts here in the forum, you can see I am trying to help people to get back to a setup with version 4.* that resembles the navigation, display and structure what users of version 3.* were used to and want some of the enhancements of version 4.* For me the only reason for updating to version 4.* was ONLY live TV nothing else since I am in the EMC world. Those type of users got the short end of the stick when updating.

Are you able to help me figure out how to get my EMC back to show nested collections?  Driving me crazy at present and I can't figure out how to make it work in any way that will show collections grouped together.

Thank you

#34 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135734 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

Are you able to help me figure out how to get my EMC back to show nested collections?  Driving me crazy at present and I can't figure out how to make it work in any way that will show collections grouped together.

Thank you

Hi, do your collections show as desired in the Emby web app?

#35 One2Go OFFLINE  

One2Go

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

Thank you

What you need to do is as pointed out in this thread, get the latest EMC client (Beta) plus the latest server version, I decided to stay on 4.0.1.0 for the time being, but try 4.0.3.0. Then in addition you need to change all libraries that have Content=Movies to Content=Mixed and you get the nested folder view back.

#36 shavid0610 OFFLINE  

shavid0610

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:07 PM

Hi, do your collections show as desired in the Emby web app?

Hi 

No they do not.  If I browse my library in the web client the movies that should be in collections are just floating around loose and if I click on collections there are no movies or collections in that view at all.

#37 shavid0610 OFFLINE  

shavid0610

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:10 PM

What you need to do is as pointed out in this thread, get the latest EMC client (Beta) plus the latest server version, I decided to stay on 4.0.1.0 for the time being, but try 4.0.3.0. Then in addition you need to change all libraries that have Content=Movies to Content=Mixed and you get the nested folder view back.

Hi

I believe I have done this already and it did not work.  I am running Server 4.0.3.0 and EMC 3.0.317.0 and I changed my movie folder to mixed content as mentioned earlier in this thread, however the collections are still not nesting in EMC or on the web client.

Sharon

#38 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46352 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:22 PM

Hi

I believe I have done this already and it did not work.  I am running Server 4.0.3.0 and EMC 3.0.317.0 and I changed my movie folder to mixed content as mentioned earlier in this thread, however the collections are still not nesting in EMC or on the web client.

Sharon

Did you create your collections with the web app?

If not, and instead, they are based on file/folder structure, those are no longer recognized as collections in Emby.  They are just folders.

#39 shavid0610 OFFLINE  

shavid0610

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:40 PM

Did you create your collections with the web app?

If not, and instead, they are based on file/folder structure, those are no longer recognized as collections in Emby.  They are just folders.

Hi

No I didn't as I was unaware this was even an option. 

I had the system set up with folder structure the way it used to be and then used legacy folders to keep it the same so I really have not even looked at the newer features of Emby and don't use the web interface at all.

I was hoping to never have to tweak anything and it would just continue on the way we liked it and were used to but seems like that is not possible.

I have been doing some reading on the forum and it seems like I need to install auto box set plug in and hope for the best.

Will I need to remove all of my collection movies from their collection folders on my hard drive for this plug in to work or can I keep them in the folders for tidiness?

Also, will the collections show up in nested collection folders under the Movie Folder on my EMC or will they only show up under collections?  I'd like them to just be in the movie folder where they used to be but nested correctly

Thanks for your help

#40 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46352 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

If you get them setup as proper collections in Emby, then they will next in the views in EMC (provided you turn on that option).  You should be able to keep the current file structure, but I would suggest flattening it out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: legacy, folder 4.0.0.2 wmc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users