Disc 1, Disc 2... folders stacking

mbguy

Based on wiki on this page https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie-naming

I created

\Movies\Documentary A (2018)\Disc 1\BDMV

\Movies\Documentary A (2018)\Disc 2\BDMV

\Movies\Documentary A (2018)\Disc ...

But each of these discs is showing up as a separate entry (movie) in Emby Library. Is this supposed to happen?

I thought there should only be one "title" and then multiple discs are associated with it. Please advise.

Edited by mbguy

rbjtech

The key to multi-version is to ensure the movie name is identical to the folder name and then anything after the '-' is considered a different version.

The Wiki extract - "Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - " or brackets " [720p] ". If this requirement is not met, they will be treated as separate videos."

However, as I presume you are ripping BDMV file structures with an extra 'Disk x' directory, I'm not sure if that is going to work as it's designed for file 'stacking' not multi versions.

So using your example -

\Movies\Documentary A (2018)\Documentary A (2018) - disk 1.mkv

\Movies\Documentary A (2018)\Documentary A (2018) - disk 2.mkv

Would present you with a single movie - with 2 versions with disk 1 and disk 2 options (which is I think what you are after..) ?

But using BDMV - I'm not sure if this will work .. 

You may have to rip the BDMV files into MKV (keeping the original streams) using something like MakeMKV ..

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 4

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. To be more specific, yes what I'm trying to achieve is to get Emby to recognize "stacking" of the blu-ray folders using BDMV, not ripping into individual.mkv files.

According to wiki, Emby is supposed to support blu-ray folder stacking.

Split video files (file stacking)

The following are default stacking extensions that can be added to file names. # can be 1 through 9 or A through D. Stacking is supported for video files as well as dvd and blu-ray folder structures.

Example: \Movies\Scarface (1983)\Disc 1\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO\Movies\Scarface (1983)\Disc 2\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO

I just don't understand why using the folder structure that I specified in my original post (based on wiki example) ends up with 2 movies, instead of just one movie with multiple versions (parts).

Edited by mbguy

The example provided in wiki is for VIDEO_TS.IFO files but the wiki does say "blu-ray folder structures" is supported, which makes me think if there is something different about BDMV?

Edited by mbguy

Deathsquirrel

Support for disc-based media types is generally a bit limited.  They are an unpopular way to store this type of media and not all of the tools used in Emby support them.  They also require transcoding to play on most platforms.

What you're trying to do might be possible.  That said, you're going to get a lot of recommendations to convert to MKV.  I'll go first.  This problem goes away if you convert to MKV.  Go the extra step of merging the movie files from discs 1 and 2 and this feature becomes irrelevant.  I have one file for the 2-disc Blu-Ray edition of The Return of the King Extended Edition.  It's 67GB.

• Like 3

rbjtech

Support for disc-based media types is generally a bit limited.  They are an unpopular way to store this type of media and not all of the tools used in Emby support them.  They also require transcoding to play on most platforms.

What you're trying to do might be possible.  That said, you're going to get a lot of recommendations to convert to MKV.  I'll go first.  This problem goes away if you convert to MKV.  Go the extra step of merging the movie files from discs 1 and 2 and this feature becomes irrelevant.  I have one file for the 2-disc Blu-Ray edition of The Return of the King Extended Edition.  It's 67GB.

.. you're second actually Deathsquirrel :P as that's what I said to do in my original reply .. but agree 100%

ps - I did exactly the same with my RotK EE too - mind you watching the 4+ hours of that film make you wanna get up and have a break anyway !  :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the feedback, I am aware of makemkv, but I thought folder stacking is a straighforward thing that doesn't need specialized tools.

After all, it is mentioned in Emby wiki specifically that "bluray folder structure is supported."

I enjoy having BDMV or ISO because I have a Zidoo media player that plays bluray structure without transcoding that is super fast, and it's nice to have bluray menus and additional content available on demand.

Hopefully the Emby team can provide some troubleshooting steps to try? I don't even know what to try at this point because I've emulated the wiki folder structure to a T and in folder but Emby is still treating the discs as multiple movies.

Edited by mbguy

You and me are in the same boat as I also like the Blu-ray folders especially for some TV shows everything in one place. This has been batted around many times and the most given answer is always convert it to MKV, Well I do some but I also keep several in BDMV structure.

For TV shows like Suits I keep 4 discs in the same season folder looks like this:

5c4669eb9365c_TVDiscs.jpg

Metadata folder

5c466a0d275c3_TVMetadata.jpg

Finally looks like this

5c466a375191c_TVFFox.jpg

For movies at the moment because of the server updates there are a few unknowns yet but I put each disc in a folder and then use either the folder view or collection to get everything under one poster entry. The MKV path is easier on the setup but I also do like BDs for certain content.

• Like 1

@@One2Go thanks for sharing the screenshots! I am glad you mention TV shows in separate discs.

For whatever reasons, Emby Server seems to recognize TV shows in multiple discs on my setup, but it just doesn't want to recognize Movies in multiple discs.

Has anyone else here successfully setup a folder structure that "allows" or "forces" Emby Server to recognize Disc1\BDMV and Disc2\BDMV folders?

If BDMV folders are indeed not supported, maybe that info should be removed from the wiki?

Edited by mbguy

Well this again is an issue that is being worked upon. For version 3.5.3 there was a folder view that allowed something like  this:

Star Wars

Episode 1/BDMV

Episode 2/BDMV

Episode 4/BDMV

"

"

Bonus Disc 1/BDMV

Each folder would have the meta data and images.The top folder would be like the Star War Collection folder with images and metadata. This worked flawless in libraries with all three different contents. After version 4.002 update it works fine for TV Shows and Mixed Content because the server treats Mixed Content different. My Documentary library is mixed content and it has Movies as well as TV shows and the collection of BDs works as I indicated above. However for Movies the Devs are working on a solution that will make everyone happy.

At the moment I am waiting for the devs to help with some of the issues that came up for others and then hopefully this will be resolved. The alternative is to convert all your libraries Content = Movies to Libraries Content = Mixed. But that could be time consuming as you have to delete the library then recreate the library, scan it and if you have custom artwork and metadata to be on the save side back it up first. I am holding off on that for the time being as I would have to change 3 libraries with close to 1000 movies.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

• Like 1

@@One2Go, thanks for your response, it helped tremendously to know this is an issue that the developers are aware of and that they are working on a permanent solution.

I will hold off on switching my content type as it is also a big hassle to makemkv and then reconfigure libaries, scan, move, and be afraid that something may go wrong in the middle of all that.

I just hope the solution will come sooner than later! :wub:

Edited by mbguy

Spaceboy

@@One2Go, thanks for your response, it helped tremendously to know this is an issue that the developers are aware of and that they are working on a permanent solution.

I will hold off on switching my content type as it is also a big hassle to makemkv and then reconfigure libaries, scan, move, and be afraid that something may go wrong in the middle of all that.

I just hope the solution will come sooner than later! :wub:

but this is the problem. Ok it gets fixed but it’s a function barely anyone uses so it gets little testing during beta cycles and will break again. And again.

The reason why people push the convert to mob option so hard is it’s a one time fix. Forever. And actually more functional than the legacy method.

• Like 2

but this is the problem. Ok it gets fixed but it’s a function barely anyone uses so it gets little testing during beta cycles and will break again. And again.

The reason why people push the convert to mob option so hard is it’s a one time fix. Forever. And actually more functional than the legacy method.

I get it but I build my library since MB 2.* and am in no mood to do a massive change to what feels for me like an inferior display of content. I do agree with the beta testing and myself will be more active in actually installing beta versions as I am running one now.

Spaceboy

I get it but I build my library since MB 2.* and am in no mood to do a massive change to what feels for me like an inferior display of content. I do agree with the beta testing and myself will be more active in actually installing beta versions as I am running one now.

[emoji3]ok I look forward to renewing this conversation with you or the next version of you in 3 months time. And you really couldn’t be any more wrong about “an inferior display of content”. That’s one of the main reason to change imo.
  • Like 1

[emoji3]ok I look forward to renewing this conversation with you or the next version of you in 3 months time. And you really couldn’t be any more wrong about “an inferior display of content”. That’s one of the main reason to change imo.

Look at the screen shot for Suits season 7. Episodes 13 - 16 which is disc 4 has as extras on it Gagreel, A centennial moment, Mike & Rachel's send off on a BD all in one place with text / metadata. For me these are worthwhile extras. With the MKV ripping you would have to rip them separately, then find meta data & images for them plus most likely theTVDB site has this series either locked or no metadata for it. Now more work, how is that easier then keeping disc 4 of season 7 of suits? To replicate what is on a disc is more work and if it is inferior the optical media would not be supported by mega rich corporations. There is value for a segment of users in wanting their BDs on the server and being played back. Not all of us run tablets or portable devices as playback solutions.

Now to the discussion that we will have in the future. I have a HTPC in a home theater, I need a server and client to display my local media libraries, when that goal is reached I am done with updating and upgrading. My backup solution is a 10 year old HTPC running MB 2.6 and not being updated for years runs the collection perfectly, indexes new content but it is an inferior HTPC to my Intel NUC. So once I have reached the same status I will lock in that combination of hardware and EMBY software.

Any future improvements, updates and upgrades will be done on a separate QNAP NAS so that my HTPC and HT setup will be pristine for its purpose. That is what I am aiming for. Somehow my EMBY server 3.5.3 was automatically updated but I could swear that I disabled that. Knowing then what I know now I would have stayed at 3.5.3 and do a 4.0.1.0 installation on my QNAP NAS.

You can please All the people some time, Some people all the time, but you can't please all the people all the time, I let you be in my dream if I can be in yours :lol:

• Like 1

Looks like there's a regression related to this in the current server release, although for the best experience possible we recommend converting to mkv.

Looks like there's a regression related to this in the current server release, although for the best experience possible we recommend converting to mkv.

What does that mean "regression related"?

I presume you are answering the OP's problem and not talking about BD or DVD being identified and then launching an external player?

Spaceboy

Look at the screen shot for Suits season 7. Episodes 13 - 16 which is disc 4 has as extras on it Gagreel, A centennial moment, Mike & Rachel's send off on a BD all in one place with text / metadata. For me these are worthwhile extras. With the MKV ripping you would have to rip them separately, then find meta data & images for them plus most likely theTVDB site has this series either locked or no metadata for it. Now more work, how is that easier then keeping disc 4 of season 7 of suits? To replicate what is on a disc is more work and if it is inferior the optical media would not be supported by mega rich corporations. There is value for a segment of users in wanting their BDs on the server and being played back. Not all of us run tablets or portable devices as playback solutions.

Now to the discussion that we will have in the future. I have a HTPC in a home theater, I need a server and client to display my local media libraries, when that goal is reached I am done with updating and upgrading. My backup solution is a 10 year old HTPC running MB 2.6 and not being updated for years runs the collection perfectly, indexes new content but it is an inferior HTPC to my Intel NUC. So once I have reached the same status I will lock in that combination of hardware and EMBY software.

Any future improvements, updates and upgrades will be done on a separate QNAP NAS so that my HTPC and HT setup will be pristine for its purpose. That is what I am aiming for. Somehow my EMBY server 3.5.3 was automatically updated but I could swear that I disabled that. Knowing then what I know now I would have stayed at 3.5.3 and do a 4.0.1.0 installation on my QNAP NAS.

You can please All the people some time, Some people all the time, but you can't please all the people all the time, I let you be in my dream if I can be in yours :lol:

ok if you are saying it’s more work up front then I agree with that. No argument. But you can add all the extras you like. I have.

But in my opinion, that initial effort is worth it for a better overall experience. Actually better visibility of things like disc extras. Far more reliable playback and zero chance of things breaking in future

• Like 3

ok if you are saying it’s more work up front then I agree with that. No argument. But you can add all the extras you like. I have.

But in my opinion, that initial effort is worth it for a better overall experience. Actually better visibility of things like disc extras. Far more reliable playback and zero chance of things breaking in future

You have movie extras which are easier then TV extras and bonus discs, if you add them you still rely on a metadata fetcher. Let's stick with Suits.

theTVDB site has the Suits' special season locked, no one can add or modify it except mods, the newest item is from 2014, also theTVDB does not like to add under the Special section disc extras that were not aired. Furthermore of 29 entries in the Special section ONLY 3 have images. So you can add your extras and have images extracted from the file itself added with NO meta data! How is that a better visibility and overall experience?

Your argument only makes halfway sense if you use EMBY Theater or an external player that can't handle BD Menus.

Here are the two options 1. additional upfront extra work with limited metadata available via fetchers. 2. Rip the BDMV and launch an external player, job done.

As far as future breaking in stable releases is concerned I don't think that launching an external program / Player or collections will be broken it is on the same level as no playback of MKV files.

The two camps have for as long as I can remember been at opposite ends unmovable and touting each one the advantage. For different situations and playback preferences individuals will choose either option 1 or 2 and both will coexist with making both camps happy, one in front of their tablet or smartphone one in front of their 20K Home Theater with a tub of popcorn.

Spaceboy

You have movie extras which are easier then TV extras and bonus discs, if you add them you still rely on a metadata fetcher. Let's stick with Suits.

theTVDB site has the Suits' special season locked, no one can add or modify it except mods, the newest item is from 2014, also theTVDB does not like to add under the Special section disc extras that were not aired. Furthermore of 29 entries in the Special section ONLY 3 have images. So you can add your extras and have images extracted from the file itself added with NO meta data! How is that a better visibility and overall experience?

Your argument only makes halfway sense if you use EMBY Theater or an external player that can't handle BD Menus.

Here are the two options 1. additional upfront extra work with limited metadata available via fetchers. 2. Rip the BDMV and launch an external player, job done.

As far as future breaking in stable releases is concerned I don't think that launching an external program / Player or collections will be broken it is on the same level as no playback of MKV files.

The two camps have for as long as I can remember been at opposite ends unmovable and touting each one the advantage. For different situations and playback preferences individuals will choose either option 1 or 2 and both will coexist with making both camps happy, one in front of their tablet or smartphone one in front of their 20K Home Theater with a tub of popcorn.

correct, except that the developers only want to support option 1. And that trumps everything else. At the end of the day you are fighting a losing battle, it doesn’t really matter what our opinions are

correct, except that the developers only want to support option 1. And that trumps everything else. At the end of the day you are fighting a losing battle, it doesn’t really matter what our opinions are

I don't believe that they will stop supporting the launch of external players because that would cause an uproar that makes the problem with upgrading to version 4.* look like child's play. It would also mean that the devs decided to limit support for HTPCs. Even if they did then the last version that supports external player launch will be my last version of EMBY. Case in point MB 2.6.2 works just fine on my backup HTPC. As mentioned somewhere else I should have stayed at version 3.5.3 and installed version 4.0 on a different machine. I am hesitating to roll back to version 3.5.3 but if it is the only solution I will and spend the time rescanning the libraries and save all my present images and metadata.

Spaceboy

I don't believe that they will stop supporting the launch of external players because that would cause an uproar that makes the problem with upgrading to version 4.* look like child's play. It would also mean that the devs decided to limit support for HTPCs. Even if they did then the last version that supports external player launch will be my last version of EMBY. Case in point MB 2.6.2 works just fine on my backup HTPC. As mentioned somewhere else I should have stayed at version 3.5.3 and installed version 4.0 on a different machine. I am hesitating to roll back to version 3.5.3 but if it is the only solution I will and spend the time rescanning the libraries and save all my present images and metadata.

i didn’t say they will stop but it will always be secondary to fully ripped files. If for nothing else than that I don’t believe anyone on the beta is testing with full disc rips, although you did note you might join.

Hope you manage to fix your issues!

With the latest versions including beta versions of EMC and the server I don't have issues with the full ripped discs in a BDMV folder structure. My remaining issues are the weather forecast which is not a high priority and requires changes with registering with Yahoo, but that is not a major one. However the most annoying one is that in Libraries with content = Movies, the nested folders no longer work as they did. However in libraries with content = mixed they work. Once those two issues are settled I am good.