Searching/Filtering movies by (original?) spoken language of film

bric

As discussed in this postI'm hoping there is some way of searching or filtering movies by (original?) spoken language of film so that (for example) I could see all the Spanish language films I have.  Or all the French Language.  Or...etc.

Kodi implements this in their "smart playlist" feature and the language seems to pull from the metadata stored within the file itself.  I say this because if I had encoded something as an avi or mp4 then it did not show up in the playlist.  I would have to repackage as an mkv (and make sure to specify the language of the track) in order to have it show up.

So a 'smart playlist' feature might be a place to implement  this.  Adding a '...'  at the side of the nav bar for additional options like this one would be another possibility.

themoviedb.org has a data field called "original language" which could be useful for such a feature, but of course, a dubbed version might have a different language than the "original language". The metadata (.nfo) files emby generates seem to read the actual language track (at least for mkv format... which I've been using exclusively lately).

Those are my main thoughts. Thanks for the help.

• Like 9

We currently don't have a database field for this, but it's possible for the future. thanks.

Yes, first things first.

If the time comes, a field for "original_language" should be relatively simple metadata to fetch from services like themoviedb.org (i.e., it seems to be an existing piece of data over there according to their api 'discover' documentation).

Possibly the way you design it might handle:

• "spoken language" (in the case of a dubbed version) 
  • multiple audio tracks/languages (more than one language)
  • director commentary,
  • or described audio.

Anyway, my primary usage would be to label the original language.

• 3 weeks later...
skelleton

I also need a feature like this.

In addition I would love the ability to set a language filter as a default library filter for a user.

My use case:

I have a bunch of content that has multiple language tracks. In additon some contant that has only one language track(in those cases usually the original language track).

I originally tried to split up my libraries by language, but with the amount of multi language media I have that is unfeasable now.

I have users that are only interested in content that that is in their primary language. I would love to give them a way of only seeing the content that is relevant to them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for this.

I just tried to filter my movie library to see the list of movies that have a german soundtrack – for some this might the original language, for many it's a dubbed soundtrack. I was amazed that I could easily filter for something as nerdy as audio codec, but apparently not by spoken language.

(Ideally I'd also like to be able to have the titles and descriptions for movies that are originally german, french or italian in its original language without having to klunkily create separate libraries, but that's another discussion).

Just found out that this is (now?) possible in Emby. Yay!

Edited by philby

• 1 month later...
ginjaninja

+1 for this.

I just tried to filter my movie library to see the list of movies that have a german soundtrack – for some this might the original language, for many it's a dubbed soundtrack. I was amazed that I could easily filter for something as nerdy as audio codec, but apparently not by spoken language.

(Ideally I'd also like to be able to have the titles and descriptions for movies that are originally german, french or italian in its original language without having to klunkily create separate libraries, but that's another discussion).

Just found out that this is (now?) possible in Emby. Yay!

how do you  filter by audio language? i want to find all non local language movies.

PenkethBoy

Could you add for Tv and other library types (where appropriate) as well please

• 5 months later...
KarlDag

I would REALLY love the ability to search per language track.

I have movies with audio in English and French, and is love to filter to see only my movies that Include a French track.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
MajesticMaerlyn

Hi, just checking if any progress has been made for this cool feature?

Cheers and be safe all :)

• 3 weeks later...
MajesticMaerlyn

Just saw this being added to Movies - thanks so much.

Are you planning on adding it it to TV shows as well? 

Cheers :)

• 1 month later...
Guest topbanana

I'm very keen to be able to list all of my French, German movies, etc...

The audio track languages are often not set or completely wrong in my media, so having emby grab the 'Original Language' into its db from TMDB would be excellent, and would mean it's far, far more accurate for everyone.