Why are channel load times so long on Shield / Roku?

clollar

Assuming it's not either beta (server or Android tv app) since no one else is screaming from the mountain tops that they are broken ,lol.  And we give Windows the benefit of the doubt...It almost has to be the new Seagate external usb 3.0 drive.  The other changes where adding an ssd for transcoding, metedata and cache, a different psu and case...that's it.  I was advised that it shouldn't make a big difference going from an internal sata drive to usb 3.0 since they're spinning drives and if there where a bottle neck, it would be the drive itself or my cpu/apu.  But I wonder if my other hardware is older (such as ddr3 ram) So my thinking is if it's the hdd, what's the issue?  Sata vs usb 3.0?  Or is there an idle setting that needs changing?  For the sake of thoroughness I'll list my system and the hdd details

Thanks guys!

Seagate 8 tb expansion 

asrock fm2a88x-itx+

amd a10 7850k radeon r7 4.00ghz

8 gb ram I believe (3.42 usable)

2x 120gb pny ssd

win 10 pro

Edited by clollar

Ok I haven't messed with the drive yet but I did a clean install (stable) and everything seemed fine on the Shield and Emby theater on my PC.  The load times are reasonable, 10-12 seconds, sometimes longer but everything seems to play fine after it loads.  I couldn't help but notice my load times directly correlate to the fps counting down in the server dashboard active devices.  It starts very high then counts down to either around 30 or 60.  I assume that has to do with what refresh rate a network decides to broadcast in.  I went downstairs to test the Roku, I had Live Channels running on the Shield.  Mostly because it prompted me to set up my tuner and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a fall back if live tv on emby was to unstable.  Then I started getting a message on the Roku saying no compatible streams where available (photo attached).  Then I got the same on the Shield.  I have attached the 2 most recent logs.  Oh I almost failed to mention I unplugged my tuner (HDhomerun quatro) earlier to power cycle it.  I'll try resetting the tuner, server and Shield.

post-404018-0-41967600-1547282780_thumb.jpg

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-55a6dcc6-40a4-4d5c-9baa-71bc93527cdd.txt

I didn't think so because I thought those tuners just came out from Silicon Dust at CES, and I've had mine since black Friday.  But I do have the setting checked in the tuner settings.

Ok so I tried the enable transcoding on the tuner, off and on.  No difference, it might actually be a bit quicker with the option on.  In any event everything seems fine now.  Either pulling up live channels app on the Shield caused it or the tuner, or a combo or the 2.  I reset the tuner and the Shield last night so maybe that did it.  Overall the clean install and going with stable must've helped.  I think beta was a bad idea for me due to other projects going on and quite frankly my hardware.  I think generally (before I messed everything up with beta etc.) my issues with channel load times is related to my hardware.  I wouls say ram but I had it running with half as much before.  The channel load times are still a bit annoying, but workable (10 seconds).  I will either stick with emby for my live tv and dvr solution, give Plex another try even though it didn't work at all and maybe Hdhomerun software.  But emby is my preference and I'd like to check out version 3.6.  It sounds promising.  Not to mention I can get help here.  You guys are great.  I understand this isn't a perfect science and quite frankly, form my reading and testing...no one quite has Live TV via a media server figured out just yet.  I am upgrading to a new cpu and gpu this year in my main PC so hopefully the server will also get upgraded.  Thanks again y'all!