Very High CPU and Core temperature

MikeEmbyMike
Go to solution Solved by MikeEmbyMike,

MikeEmbyMike

Thank you Happy2Play and speechless

now about my other problems.................................................................. :)

@@MikeEmbyMike Happiness is my number one goal! I am glad you are happy. :)

/me high fives @@Happy2Play Thanks happy for confirming I wasn't coding like a chimpanzee. Thanks ;)

Edited by speechles

MikeEmbyMike

Hi everybody

I have been doing a lot of testing and experimenting today with some odd results

I am breaking to cook dinner (my turn again) but I will post my results a little later

Incidentally, I am most impressed that I have the app writers responding.

When  asked for support in another software group's forum, perplext or something like that :), the response was along the lines of "we are right, all the users are wrong. This is what we are giving you, live with it"

MikeEmbyMike

You believe that the transcoding and hence high CPU usage is because of the Polish subtitles

This does not make sense because

1)Start playing film with Polish (.pol.srt)subtitles .....     95 %  CPU in server host
2)go through the process of re-selecting 'Auto' in 'Chose Quality' in 'Playback Options' on Roku client
3)Film reloads and starts playing still with Polish subtitles displaying properly but server host drops back to 4% CPU

That would imply that by simply re-selecting 'Auto' in 'Chose Quality', the Roku suddenly understands how to display the subtitles

My lovely partner is Polish and, although her English is very good, subtitles really make films and TV more enjoyable and relaxing as there is no 'internal translating' necessary for her

It would probably be better for me to learn Polish but I can't afford the plastic surgery necessary to pronounce "Szczęście", "Bezwzględny" or "zymankowszczyzna "
(great in Scrabble though)

The Roku is more than capable of displaying Polish subtitles natively

Quote from an earlier speechless post:-
"Language: "und,afr,alb,baq,bre,cat,dan,eng,fao,glg,ger,ice,may,gle,ita,lat,ltz,nor,oci,por,roh,gla,spa,swa,swe,wln,est,fin,fre,dut,rum"
These are passed as supported on Roku to the Emby server."

These are the so-called Romance languages that Roku say can be handled natively.  But they have missed out a whole bunch of languages that use the same character sets as these (Polish, Czech, Slovenian etc. etc. etc)

Roku say that they natively support any srt as long as it is Roman based. I think they mean Romance based, but I am convinced that should be any language using Latin script (as in unicode-latin). This is why the Polish UTF-8 subtitles are displaying correctly both when the server is transcoding and when it is not.

Remember that at one point I was watching with perfectly rendered Polish subtitles while the Emby server was NOT transcoding

I tried one more session.
selected Maniac S01E03 which has a .pol.srt file with it
Ran displaying subtitles
96%  CPU
switched off subtitles, restarted
96% CPU
switched back on Polish subtitles and selected 'Auto' in 'Chose Quality', restarted
3 % CPU

repeated with .pol.srt   renamed to .srt
Ran displaying subtitles perfectly
3% CPU
I then deleted the subtitle file and played it again
The CPU %  shot up to the high 80s. This I really, really don't understand

The choice for me is either Plex, not transcoding but with the subs randomly +/- 3 seconds out or Emby displaying perfect subtitles while melting the table the server is sitting on.

I will buy a new table now and then to keep 'her indoors' happy

@@MikeEmbyMike, if you can attach a log example I am happy to review.

Our next beta app update will remove that subtitle restriction. I think it would be fair to re-evaluate once you have that, no?

@@speechles can advise on when that will be available. Thanks !

@@Luke Whenever Eric wants to release it. We have no blackout for the Beta. It is self published. It is only apps which Roku must approve that are available on the store that are affected during blackout.

MikeEmbyMike

I think this little video proves the subtitle language anomily

I renamed the subtitle files from .pol.srt  to .eng.srt

The Emby server says 'that's good. The Roku understands those, I will not transcode'
The Emby client/Roku sees a bunch characters from UTF-8 Latin set and displys them perfectly with the video

No log produced

TAa-da     No frying eggs on processor and 'she who must be obeyed' is happy

So I guess the fix is to let the Emby server know that Polish (and a whole bunch of others) do not need transcoding Edited by MikeEmbyMike
  • Like 1

MikeEmbyMike

Well I'm glad we got there eventually

Thank you guys so much for being so responsive

If you want me to test anything for you......... give me a shout

Dare I ask if you have a date penciled in for the next beta ? (it will save me the bother of renaming many files)

Thanks

Mike

Apologies we weren't already doing this. Thank you for helping us better the app. If you see any more irregular behavior please do not hesitate to let us know. Your feedback is important so let us know what we are doing both right and wrong. Your media, your way is #1 priority.

MikeEmbyMike

Thanks

Once I install the new beta I will thoroughly test and report back

I would probably pay to check with Roku. I believe they will handle any IS/IEC 8859 8-bit character encoding  (70+ of them)

MikeEmbyMike

Loads of testing done with Emby for Roku beta build 131

Looking good, thanks

MKV and  MP4 files now play with perfectly displayed Polish subtitles with no transcoding

Any subtitle will cause transcoding with AVI files (to be expected. I don't think there is a solution except 'avoid AVI files')

PGS subtitles will always cause transcoding regardless of file type (again, this is to be expected). To get round this I extract the relevant subtitle and add it back as an external srt

Thanks for the rapid response on this.  It saved a lot of file renaming !

One small request though. Being able to select subtitle before starting playback On Roku like I can when starting content using Web Client ?

Please feel free to have me test any further software.

Edited by MikeEmbyMike

MikeEmbyMike

Just when you thought I had gone away..........................

another subtitle anomaly your guys may wish to investigate

I have several MKV files which have both internal ASS 'Forced English' subs and external Polish SRTs

The Emby server will transcode even if 'Polish' (external) or NONE is selected

It would appear that as long as Emby sees that a MKV file contains a forced subtitle it will transcode whether that sub is being used or not

This is he case whether playing on Roku or Web Client

three transcode log files attached (I think they will all look pretty much the same)

started with English Default Forced subs on.txt

started with Polish subs.txt

started with subtitles off.txt

MikeEmbyMike

OK,  so the server log was by now, absolutely massive massive

I renamed it to .old, to force a new log to be created

repeated the Forced Eglish then Polish then None  playing of the file in web client

the attached log was produced

Is this sufficient ?

embyserver-63680806499.txt

MikeEmbyMike

The item you played is HEVC which it doesn't appear the device supports.  That is why it is transcoding.

Hold on.

From Roku

"Roku officially supports the following media formats:

• Video file types: MP4, MOV, M4V, MKV, WebM
  • Video codecs: H.264/AVC, HEVC/H.265, VP9
  • Audio file types: AAC, MP3, WMA, WAV (PCM), AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, AC3, E-AC3
  • Streaming protocols: HLS, Smooth, DASH

These have been tested and/or are currently in-use. Other formats or encodings may be supported, but should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis"