Very High CPU and Core temperature

MikeEmbyMike
Go to solution Solved by MikeEmbyMike,

MikeEmbyMike

Actually looking at your ffmpeg log i think this is expected behavior for this particular file.

@@speechles, should an Avi with mpeg4 xvid direct play?

This happens regardless of file type, container and encoding

Thanks.

@@MikeEmbyMike, when video conversion is necessary, you do understand there will be high cpu usage on the server, right? Our next release, 3.6, will introduce a throttle feature to slow down the conversion process on the fly in order to reduce cpu usage. That means if you have a fast enough system and the conversion process jumps out far enough ahead of your watching position, we have the ability to throttle it.

Yes I do understand video conversion and transcoding,  but no conversion or transcoding is necessary or implemented  after I have been through the process have I detailed.

MikeEmbyMike

I have taken a short video of what is happening

but I am told that I can not upload "this type of file"

I have tried mpeg-4 .mv4 and   x.264  .mkv  files

Which format will be accepted please?

Oh........ and the crazy thing is you have to wait to the whole file to be uploaded before being told that file type it can not be accepted !!

This may fix it:

1) Remove all Emby apps from your Roku. Both Store and Beta.

2) Reboot your Roku (your must not skip this step)

3) Reinstall all Emby apps to your Roku. Both Store and Beta.

The registry of your Roku will be rebuilt for the Emby app and that should let it start to save your settings correctly. Let me know if this does or doesn't help. Thanks.

MikeEmbyMike

Hi, and thanks speechless

Removed everything

Rebooted    -   (reset and power cycled)

Reinstalled Store and Beta

Problem persists in Store

Beta hangs trying to load file (and CPU goes to 100%)

I can show everything in video, but can't upload (see previous post)

Can you upload your short video to YouTube? Set the link as private(so users can't search for it) and just share the link here in this thread. Seeing that video will help me understand what the problem is. Thanks.

MikeEmbyMike

https://youtu.be/3B8j9Ns67Rs

video shows

temperatures and CPU usage 'at rest'

start film in Emby client in Roku Express

temperatures and CPU usage after film start   (I assume server is transcoding)

re-selecting Auto in Emby client

temperatures and CPU usage drop to normal  (I assume server has stopped transcoding)

This is reproduceable for every file type, every encoding, every container on each of my Rokus

This one is puzzling me...

@@Happy2Play changing to 400 Kbps in video player OSD and exit app to Roku homescreen (press home). Restart app and play video again. In OSD change to Auto and exit app to Roku homescreen (press home again). Now start app and play video again. In OSD it still says "Auto"? For me it does and I cannot reproduce this issue at all. It works correctly for me. Does it work correctly for you?

@speechless Can I just check that you are using exactly the same Linux server release as me (emby-server-deb_3.5.3.0_amd64.deb) and the Roku Express?

I am using windows 10 x64 and Roku Ultra.

Can you navigate to the /logs/ directory of your Emby server? In that will be transcode logs for these sessions.

Start a new playback with it eating all your CPU and heating it up. We need a transcode session from that. Then also one from when you change the OSD to AUTO and it stops chewing your CPU to death and heating the room. Seeing both those ffmpeg logs will let me better see why it is doing this. Thanks.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

This one is puzzling me...

@@Happy2Play changing to 400 Kbps in video player OSD and exit app to Roku homescreen (press home). Restart app and play video again. In OSD change to Auto and exit app to Roku homescreen (press home again). Now start app and play video again. In OSD it still says "Auto"? For me it does and I cannot reproduce this issue at all. It works correctly for me. Does it work correctly for you?

I am not following, what ever the last option selected is the option maintained.

Followed that to the letter

Installed beta     

Video Quality to Auto

Set OSD to 400Kbps

Played

Set OSD to Auto

Played

Set to 400 Kbps

Exit to detail screen

Played shows 400Kbps

Changed to Auto

Exit and restart

OSD says AUTO     BUT     high CPU until select Auto again

the problem persists

I don't think this is related without logs.

MikeEmbyMike

I attached the transcode log for the session in the video a couple of posts ago but I have attached here again and  there is no separate log for when I have reset to Auto and  it is not transcoding.

ffmpeg-transcode-2eaff8ad-29e7-4233-8a4d-7dd1e2b2c9ee.txt

Has anybody tried to reproduce this with the same Emby server and the Roku Express as the Emby client's host ? I can do it every time

This happens regardless of file type, container and encoding

Yes I do understand video conversion and transcoding,  but no conversion or transcoding is necessary or implemented  after I have been through the process have I detailed.

I understand, but you provided an ffmpeg log example of a avi file that does require transcoding. 

Can we look at the logs from an alternate example where you don't think transcoding should be happening? Thanks !

These may be useful

details of video file and log during that video

This is because you have Polish subtitles selected, and Roku does not support rendering subtitles in this language. Therefore we have to apply the subtitles on the server with transcoding.

@@speechles, we should evaluate this and see if Roku still has this limitation.

MikeEmbyMike

This is because you have Polish subtitles selected, and Roku does not support rendering subtitles in this language. Therefore we have to apply the subtitles on the server with transcoding.

Roku is fine with Polish subtitles as UTF srt files.  I have been using them in Plex on Roku for a long time without transcoding

Edited by MikeEmbyMike

Roku is fine with Polish subtitles as UTF srt files.  I have been using them in Plex on Roku for a long time without transcoding

That's good to know. We may have a restriction in the app that is out of date. @@speechles will review this. Thanks.

Can do. Added to the issue tracker as well so this one doesn't slip by (Re-Evaluate Subtitles that are supported #149).

MikeEmbyMike

You saw the CPU go down to 3 %   when I reset to Auto and the Polish subtitles were still playing without transcoding

Subtitles are not an issue here

Language: "und,afr,alb,baq,bre,cat,dan,eng,fao,glg,ger,ice,may,gle,ita,lat,ltz,nor,oci,por,roh,gla,spa,swa,swe,wln,est,fin,fre,dut,rum"

These are passed as supported on Roku to the Emby server.

Polish is indeed missing. We need "pol" in there and possibly others, or possibly just toss that language line out and let all flow freely. This is an issue. Maybe not your exact issue, but we have to note them as we spot them so we can fix them and not lose track of these. Please bear with us and we will try to get this problem solved. Thanks.

MikeEmbyMike

I have a workaround

If I rename the srt files from xxxx.pol.srt      to   xxxx.srt      Emby/Roku  doesn't have a clue that they are Polish

But as all of my subs are UTF-8 they are displayed perfectly in Polish with all of the correct accents with no transcoding or CPU bashing

I will do some more experimenting tomorrow as it is getting late here