Very High CPU and Core temperature

MikeEmbyMike
Go to solution Solved by MikeEmbyMike,

That document is what they support. Indeed Roku supports all those formats and then some.

The issue you have is certain Roku models do not support 4k codecs. Hevc is a 4k codec. Unless your device supports 4k your Roku cannot decode hevc. This means Emby server will have to transcode it to h264 and send it to your Roku. This is what is happening.

What Roku model is this? A Roku 3?

Edited by speechles

MikeEmbyMike

The model I am using here is a Roku Express

The Roku Express claims to handle  '1080p HD'   

from the Roku site............................. "TV Compatibility  HD TVs – Up to 1080p (1920 x 1080)"

The file I am playing is  1920x1080  -  1080P. 

Hevc is only supported on 4k devices. The Roku Express is not a 4k device and does not support hevc. We only support hevc/vp9 on devices which support 4k. This is per Roku documentation and Roku support forums. It doesn't matter what resolution is used in hevc only 4k devices will decode hevc. Your Roku Express cannot decode this hevc and it is transcoded to h264.

@@Luke Yes. We are doing everything by the book. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

• Solution
MikeEmbyMike

I am learning an awful lot about encoding, and an awful lot about shady sales and marketing techniques.

As I have a very good, very expensive 1080P 3D 50 inch TV, I asked the store which Roku unit would handle 1920 x 1080P I have zero 4K content

They told me that out of the two currently available devices, both units support 1080P while the ROKU Streaming 4K Smart TV Stick will also handle 4K

Roku documentation does not mention HEVC or H265; It only ever says 4K (https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products) and then only "Picture quality (on compatible TVs)". So I purchased a number of the less expensive Roku Express's as the highest quality content I have is 1080P.

Fortunately when talking to salesmen I use my voice recorder on my cell phone. The store is in for a return visit !!

But hey, this is not your problem guys, you have been way more than helpful especially with your Roku beta that now stops 95%+ of the transcoding

Thanks guys, I will take this up with Roku and the store.   Is there a way to mark this thread as 'SOLVED' or 'RESOLVED' ?

Edited by MikeEmbyMike
  • Like 1

MikeEmbyMike

I know we this thread has been marked with 'Best Answer, but I thought I would add the following as it is very relevant

According to Amazon's specifications the basic Fire TV Stick, from 2016 gen 2 on, will handle H265 @ 1080P

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html?v=ftvstickgen2#media-specifications-9

H.265 (HEVC) -  (High Efficiency Video Coding)     
video/hevc     
Hardware accelerated up to 1080p @ 30fps, 25 Mbps, Main Profile Level 4.0, Color space 8-bit support

That would be $30 for each new Fire Stick versus $75 each for Rokus which can handle H265 1080P.

I will try the Emby/FireStick combination for my H265 1080P content and report back

Edited by MikeEmbyMike