gpu acceleration or cpu and memory

foodmonkey

foodmonkey

ok - so upgrading my emby server from a hard working unlocked amd to a new mobo/memory et al

need some advice

go i5 with a gpu

or i7 with lots of memory

currently running emby as a docker on rockstor

so i'm thinking the i7 with more threads is going to do a better job - that's as long as emby and rockstor can take advantage of the extra threads

espeacially when it comes to managing multiple streams - maybe transcoding and as a file server as well

any thoughts? @

foodmonkey

i'm assuming that emby takes advantage of a gpu whether it is native or running in a docker - but that level of abstraction must entail a performance hit - nature of the beast

ive just noticed that some of the codecs in the linux world don't perform so well downstream with various hardware setups

the server it self has a two channel SAS card accessing a good amount of drives - file serving tests run at about 60% of the gigabit lan connection (it's only a home server - but it has a few linux boxes accessing it)

the btrfs under centos is healthy and well distributed

i'm getting stutter and pixelation  when under load - and i can't pin point the cause - i'm thinking old amd that has been unlocked to quad core and not enought memory and no gpu assistance

so do what IBM used to do with their mainframes - throw some more iron at it

and the emby experiemce is a lot different under linux than it is windows - but hey - i use elementaryOS and that probably ostracises me from most forums