Google Drive / GSuite and Emby

flyload

Charlie117

Google Drive File Stream - just because its free and works great

Good to know! No issue with hitting the API request limits?

Good to know! No issue with hitting the API request limits?

never had an issue and i have been using it with Plex for over a year with 4 users

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Syncing my entire library encrypted to google drive using rclone. I followed a walkthrough on YouTube

jburgess

I recommend something called Plexdrive. I get way better performance and if you use Ubuntu then cloudbox is the one.

alfablac

I've only hit API limits when doing a fresh install (first scan). And on the rarely cases I'm using scans on different OSes (which will use different folder structures - invalidating the library backup)

How do you hit the API for bans? I’ve been using google drive with google drive file stream and Plex for almost 2 years. Just switched to Emby and I’ve never once had a ban, honestly I didn’t even know there were bans until reading these forums

Charlie117

How do you hit the API for bans? I’ve been using google drive with google drive file stream and Plex for almost 2 years. Just switched to Emby and I’ve never once had a ban, honestly I didn’t even know there were bans until reading these forums

Depending on whether you're using rclone's default Google Drive API keys or your own, you get a certain amount of request you can make through the API.

If you have a large library, then hitting the day limits are possible for the initial scan. The limits per 100 seconds are easier to hit if your client tries to make more than 10 requests per seconds. 

Below is the default if you use your own keys.

Screenshot-2019-01-06-at-16-13-09.png

Hmm interesting ... even with my initial scan on Emby which would have scanned over 2,000 movies and tv episodes I never got a ban. I didn’t setup any API keys , just installed the Google File Drive Stream

Charlie117

Hmm interesting ... even with my initial scan on Emby which would have scanned over 2,000 movies and tv episodes I never got a ban. I didn’t setup any API keys , just installed the Google File Drive Stream

Then Google FIle Stream is probably configured by default to staying under the 10 requests per second limit. Hitting the 1.000.000 a day request limit will probably require a bit more hoarding  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Coxeroni

Indirectly. You would need a (Linux) server, where you mount your rclone and share this mount via smb to the Shield. Should work.

• 1 year later...
Old_School

Hi was thinking of trying out the google drive plugin will this backup all video files on my nas ? also will this modified my original video files in anyway on my nas or just the ones it sync to google drive

Hi was thinking of trying out the google drive plugin will this backup all video files on my nas ? also will this modified my original video files in anyway on my nas or just the ones it sync to google drive

Hi @@Old_School please take a look at our wiki article for the feature and let us know if you still have questions. Thanks.

atomicmoon

Hi @@Old_School please take a look at our wiki article for the feature and let us know if you still have questions. Thanks.

I've had my Google Drive set up for quite some time, but when trying to stream a video from work that is a .mkv I converted to .mp4, nerd stats stated I was direct playing a .mkv file, but I'm almost certain I've never been able to direct play .mkv from the web. To the best of my knowledge, the videos uploaded do not show in the video summary on the Emby player. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I want to know if I'm streaming my videos from my home server, or if they are being streamed from Google drive, but I can't seem to see anything that "proves" where I'm streaming from. I figured the different container would help me determine, but even that made no sense when looking lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my Google Drive set up for quite some time, but when trying to stream a video from work that is a .mkv I converted to .mp4, nerd stats stated I was direct playing a .mkv file, but I'm almost certain I've never been able to direct play .mkv from the web. To the best of my knowledge, the videos uploaded do not show in the video summary on the Emby player. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I want to know if I'm streaming my videos from my home server, or if they are being streamed from Google drive, but I can't seem to see anything that "proves" where I'm streaming from. I figured the different container would help me determine, but even that made no sense when looking lol.

Are you still running into this?

atomicmoon

Are you still running into this?

I just tested it.

It's transcoding S1E1 of MWC from my local server. Nerd stats appears to be accurate. Half of my question has been solved, but now I'm curious how do I get it to play the files hosted on G-drive so that transcoding is not needed?

Locally my file in questions is .mkv and on G-drive is a copy in .mp4. I did the conversion and 'download to' within Emby, so I took myself out of the possible reason for screwing up, lol.

Lemme know if there's anything more I can provide, or test to help figure this out. No rush, just trying to wrap my head around it.

atomicmoon

Did you send any content to your google drive?

Yes, I've sent the entire first season of 'Married with Children' to the drive, and that's what I'm testing with. I have moved the folder from the root of Google Drive and thought that may have been the cause, but Emby still downloads to it. 

So, that kinda threw that idea out the window. 

There are new changes from Google where they start blocking our requests after we send several of them in a short period of time. We're going to have to rework the plugin and that will take a little time. In the meantime dropbox will work.

• Like 1

atomicmoon

There are new changes from Google where they start blocking our requests after we send several of them in a short period of time. We're going to have to rework the plugin and that will take a little time. In the meantime dropbox will work.

Okay, not great news, but news none-the-less. 

Thanks for following up, and I'll take a look at dropbox pricing compared to what I'm currently paying for Google One Drive.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
neunghaha28
On 4/14/2020 at 1:33 AM, Luke said:

I use Google Drive Sync Don't play movies on profile mobile.

image.thumb.png.eeb4b6a2460b2869b0a7e2c18d2fb369.png

image.thumb.png.ef0747be9b44921cb379a5df46671514.png

Don't Show Profile mobile How to fix ?

image.thumb.png.a57e6d00a2c84905a3ea8e5fc9558d62.png

Edited by neunghaha28

upsnowman

If you want something that works FLAWLESSLY. I HIGHLY and I mean HIGHLY recommend the following for playing media from Google Drive.

https://stablebit.com/CloudDrive

I have 8TB of storage currently on Google Drive and this software is simply magic. I tried every solution I could find on both Linux and Windows and none of them worked great. (rclone is painfully slow and not that reliable in regards to mounting at least)

I found this software a few years ago and wasn't expecting much. I was blown away during the free trial and I did not wait to purchase it. I purchased it immediately.

I really don't know how they do it. The performance is BLAZING fast and the data is automatically encrypted and decrypted on the fly without any delay.

If you go to Google Drive you can't even tell what files are on there because of the encryption. It looks like gibberish and if Big Brother is watching on Google they'd have no idea what files you have stored. But on your server side the drive is completely normal looking because of the automatically decryption.

Everything is automatic. You simply download/copy/paste, etc your media on your Google Drive just like you would on any other local hard drive on your system.

The software works on the kernel level so the speed is amazing. Playback from my Google drive via Stablebit Cloud drive to Plex or Emby is flawless and I get the same speed as a local drive.

To me I'd pay 10 times more then they charge for the software. It's really that good.

CloudDrive still has issues on large collections of media especially if you have many users.  Google simply starts blocking access after so much use and there is no way around that.  What CloudDrive does help with is that it caches the data locally so many of the requests Emby does in normal operation never get sent to Google as the CloudDrive has the info locally cached.  That goes a long way in what kind of "usage" Google actually sees and you tend to have less issues with Emby because of that.

However CloudDrive comes with it's own set of issues which are numerous.  It encrypts the data and chunks it meaning the data it stores in Google is ONLY usable by CloudDrive.  All info in your CloudDrive must be uploaded via CloudDrive so you can't access the 100 TB of data you already have there or use another computer other than your server to upload the data.

CloudDrive works great when it works but with the slightest problem your drive is useless.  I've been testing CloudDrive since early beta and know it well.  I have never had a Drive larger than 50 TB stay usable longer than 3 to 4 months before something fatal happens that makes the drive unusable.   Things that can easily get fixed locally with a CHKDSK run don't work on the CloudDrive the same way.

With that said if you're smart you'll create roughly 5 to 10TB size drives and use multiple smaller drives.  Qty 10 of 5TB drives will likely cause less overall grief than Qty 1 50TB drive.  If you lose one drive of 5TB you lost 5TB of data instead of 50TB in one shot!