Upgrade path from 3.3.1.0 to 3.5.3.0

SilentStrike

SilentStrike

Hello,

I currently have a jail that is 3.3.1.0 (got it from the plugin). But I would like to upgrade to 3.5.3.0
Is it possible to update the plugin jail myself manually somehow all the way up to 3.5.3.0.

After that I'll be able to take my data and send it over to a new iocage jail that's setup with the new way.

I don't know if this makes sense or if it's possible? But I'd appreciate some insight on this if possible!

SilentStrike

If I understand correctly.. I should simply hop into my 3.3.1 emby-server jail and run the following commands..

sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi

Install Emby Server:
sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"
service emby-server start

This will install the update and then when server restarts my emby will be functionnal with the new version. Is that correct?

I don't need to update to 3.4 or something I can jump straight to 3.5.3?

Thanks

If I understand correctly.. I should simply hop into my 3.3.1 emby-server jail and run the following commands..

sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi

Install Emby Server:
sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"
service emby-server start

This will install the update and then when server restarts my emby will be functionnal with the new version. Is that correct?

I don't need to update to 3.4 or something I can jump straight to 3.5.3?

Thanks

is your current jail a warden jail or an iocage jail? If 3.3.1 was installed through the plugin then I'm assuming it's a warden jail.

SilentStrike

Yes, I installed it through the plugin, so it is indeed a warden jail.

I'm looking to transfer to iocage later on, but am unsure how to proceed from 3.3.1 warden jail to 3.5.3 iocage without loosing my data, so I figured I'd upgrade my warden jails to the latest and then try and transfer the data required. Figured I could spot what data to transfer then.

Yes, I installed it through the plugin, so it is indeed a warden jail.

I'm looking to transfer to iocage later on, but am unsure how to proceed from 3.3.1 warden jail to 3.5.3 iocage without loosing my data, so I figured I'd upgrade my warden jails to the latest and then try and transfer the data required. Figured I could spot what data to transfer then.

For 3.5.3 you'll need to upgrade to iocage. You should just do it and be done with it, it's not that extreme of a change.

Keeping with warden it looks like 3.4.1 would be the newest.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63708-emby-freenas-plugin-version-3310-no-longer-works/

Your data should be stored in /var/db/emby-server

If you copy that folder from your warden jail to your new iocage jail you should be able to make the switch without losing your data. Just be warned you may need to adjust permissions to get it working.

OR, if you're an emby premier subscriber, you should be able to do a backup using the plugin and then load the backup into the new server. Let it run for a few hours to rebuild the database and away you go.

Edited by MRobi
  • Like 1

SilentStrike

I do want to upgrade to iocage, but when I installed the iocage and put my data from my 3.3.1 install to my 3.5.3 install, it didn't work. Might be related to those rights issues you're mentioning.

And I'd use the plugin to backup and restore, but I can't install it for some reason in my jail.

What rights do I have to give to my old data to make it work? I can deal with the backup plugin not working this time around if I can get the manual way working.

I do want to upgrade to iocage, but when I installed the iocage and put my data from my 3.3.1 install to my 3.5.3 install, it didn't work. Might be related to those rights issues you're mentioning.

And I'd use the plugin to backup and restore, but I can't install it for some reason in my jail.

What rights do I have to give to my old data to make it work? I can deal with the backup plugin not working this time around if I can get the manual way working.

you'll have to make sure the emby user and group have read/write access to the files. If they don't then the server won't boot

or setting them to 0777 would work if in a pinch

• Like 1