Poll - Windows 8.1 update 1

WWWestern

Windows 8.1 Update 1 transition poll  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will do the transition to Windows 8.1 Update 1?

• Undecided
    • No
    • Yes
    • Already
    • Waiting (H/W, job, trip, etc.)
    • What is Windows? ;)

trooper11

Just to add more talk about Update 1, playing around with it, I have noticed that metro apps do basically work the same as desktop apps outside of working in smaller windows.

Stuff that I took for granted with desktop apps such as being able to simply click the running icon of an app to maximize it and then click it again to minimize it or being able to use the jump preview when you hover over an icon to close an app or to pop the app into view to glance at something and then it goes away when you move the mouse.  Now that metro apps can do that too, its nice for some of the metro apps I use such as OneNote.  The addition of the option to allow the taskbar to be visible while using metro apps also makes them feel more a part of the desktop experience as well.  Most metro apps I use are not for work, so I use them full screen, but there is a real opportunity to expand what metro apps can be used for with these changes and then of course, when they add the windowed option itself. 

A couple things that some may not know about windows 8.1 was that they added the option to boot straight to the desktop and a little option that brings you back to the desktop when you close a metro app.  Up until that point, closing a metro app sent you back to the start screen.  I actually like that option on for my htpc, but for my regular use pcs, I disable it so that metro apps would send me back to the desktop.  With Update 1, that option means even more because it adds to the feeling that metro apps can be part of the desktop experience. 

Edited by trooper11

Starkadius

Here’s how Windows 8.1 Update tries to give you the right UI on any device

The Windows 8.1 Update won't make everyone happy. That might change when a future update introduces a kind of Start menu/Start screen hybrid. In the meantime, however, the new UI features may help make Windows 8.1 a little more familiar and a little more comfortable to mouse and keyboard users.

An interesting article describing the subtle differences when using Windows 8.1 Update 1 on a desktop and a touch interface device (tablet) how Windows dynamically adjusts itself to the input device that is actively being used. I tested this on a Surface Pro 2 by touching the screen and then switching to the type keyboard with mouse and could instantly see the GUI changes appearing. The word I would use to describe how it feels is "organic", as if the operating system is adapting to the user that is controlling it instead of forcing the user to adapt to the interface. Microsoft just needs to make more of these changes to better accommodate the desktop (mouse/keyboard) users then I believe both touch and desktop users can live in the Windows ecosystem more amicably.

• Like 1

Aphid

Really? How do you make the default metro apps load in a window without third party software addons? How do you make the search show in a desktop window?

I don't use any metro apps and win+S for searches.

I used Windows 8 from release day until Windows 8.1 was released. I upgrade to Windows 8.1 on accident by going to the Windows Store and clicking on a button labeled "Download". That button didn't download, it installed. That install not only invalidated my Windows License, which Microsoft wants me to pay $140.00 to replace, it made my machine inoperable. That is when I went back to Windows 7.

So for a year, it bothered me a lot and a desktop should not be able to be minimized at all. That is the entire problem with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. If I choose to run apps on the Desktop, they should always run on the desktop. I shouldn't have to use the Metro functionality at all.

The original question was asking if you're upgrading or have reservations about upgrading. Currently, I am downright afraid of upgrading to any Microsoft plafform after 7 due to the problems that previously occurred. I've actually had a Windows 8 disc sitting on my desk for the last two months while I debate these issues. I have no assurance that another license isn't going to be eaten by upgrades. This is real money lost. This is my last license that I purchase in the preview sale. I'd never purchase a Windows Phone or Tablet due to them. All I've tried to do is provide my point of view.

I also invalidated my windows 8 when i installed 8.1, i contacted Microsoft and they sorted it straight away...

Did you try to contact them at all????

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

Koleckai Silvestri

I also invalidated my windows 8 when i installed 8.1, i contacted Microsoft and they sorted it straight away...

Did you try to contact them at all????

Yep... Six different times on this issue. Recently, I had to cancel my Office365 account because they couldn't help me remove an expired card from that account and even though I had entered in a new card and said I wanted it charged, they continually tried to charge the expired card. Eventually the only solution was to cancel the account and start a new account on a new email address at the Customer Service rep's recommendation.

trooper11

Yep... Six different times on this issue. Recently, I had to cancel my Office365 account because they couldn't help me remove an expired card from that account and even though I had entered in a new card and said I wanted it charged, they continually tried to charge the expired card. Eventually the only solution was to cancel the account and start a new account on a new email address at the Customer Service rep's recommendation.

This illustrates how varied customer support can be.  You went through six sessions of support and still had no resolution, then another guy calls once and its all fixed up.

It shows how uneven the experience is and that MS must change that.  I mean dealing with bs like that is unacceptable and leads to nothing but losing customers.

Blimey, i think sometimes it depends on who you get on the phone(or pc live help in my case!)

First person i spoke to couldn't even understand what i was talking about!!!

Deihmos

I don't get this. There is an automated number to call to activate windows. I replaced my computer and used the same key from what I installed on the previous PC. I didn't have to speak to anyone.

I have changed my billing info for office 365 at least 3 times. Everything can be done from the webpage. I have never once had a need to contact a live person.

Edited by Deihmos

gcoupe

I don't get this. There is an automated number to call to activate windows. I replaced my computer and used the same key from what I installed on the previous PC. I didn't have to speak to anyone.

I have changed my billing info for office 365 at least 3 times. Everything can be done from the webpage. I have never once had a need to contact a live person.

Sometimes, things can go wrong. When they do, it can take a long time battling with Microsoft's Customer support to get it put right. The last time I was in that situation, it took six weeks and many phone calls and live chats to get sorted...

Deihmos

Something like activating windows does not require a live person. Al you do is call the toll free number and enter the installation id. Then the next time you install windows on the same PC it will activate without the need to call.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos

Koleckai Silvestri

Most of the time... I've only ever had to contact Microsoft's customer support twice... When I tried to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and when they kept trying to bill an expired card for Office365 even though a new card was entered in via the web site and set as the payment provider.

After long hard thinking, I'll just wait until Windows 9 and see if I want to upgrade then. Microsoft's "odd" number releases are usually much better than "even" number releases.

• Like 2

trooper11

After long hard thinking, I'll just wait until Windows 9 and see if I want to upgrade then. Microsoft's "odd" number releases are usually much better than "even" number releases.

Sounds good.  You can then move to Apple if things have not improved for you at that point.

Windows 7 will work fine for a long time.

Starkadius

In many ways I always thought of Windows Vista as the beta version of Windows 7. Windows 7 was the operating system that Vista was meant to be and just as there was a drastic change going from XP to Vista, the same occurred from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Likewise I see Windows 8 as the beta version of whatever Windows 9 will be. To that extent I would recommend any desktop users still on Windows 7 to simply wait it out until Microsoft finishes adding those missing features which will probably be by the time Windows 9 is out. If Windows 7 works great as it is, there really is no urgent reason to upgrade.

As for MacOSX, I recently installed it on my hackintosh because I was curious about the Mavericks update. I personally really like it a lot and in many ways more than Windows itself (aesthetically). With my current usage it is a matter of what mood I am in, I can easily go from using OSX to Windows and use most of my applications on either. I like having the options but I won't be moving to MacOSX anytime soon simply because there is more games support on Windows (even though I don't have time to game much anymore). I would easily recommend MacOSX to anybody though since it has many of the productivity applications that Windows has, if legacy Windows applications are something that is needed then a Parallels Desktop install can remedy that by allowing you to run those applications within MacOSX as a VM.

• Like 1

trusselo

running server 2012 R2 update1 (8.1 update 1 equivalent)

meh....  waiting for the return of the start menu in the next 8.1 update coming.... some day....

that is when windows 8.1/server 2012 will become tolerable on desktop machines.

It will always look goofy as hell as a business machine. 

Has anyone else see the windows 8 product placement in "The Following" starring Kevin Bacon?

Looks ridiculous seeing cops start a murder video from the colourful start screen. :unsure:

pmac

Windows 8.1 "Start Menu"

http://youtu.be/7c6N_PzPHDs

I'm sure you are aware of this but just uploaded a clip of the keynote where they show the upcoming start menu in action along with modern apps running in windows. I think this is a big deal since this will open up the modern apps to a new market, the desktop users that don't even bother running modern apps because they take up the whole screen. I see myself using the modern email, Skype and music app when this update comes around. This is probably going to be in a Windows 8.1 "Update 2" later this year.

I was totally against Win8 until I set up a friends computer and had a chance to play with it a bit. I still prefer the desktop, and his came preloaded with a start menu app (Can't remember the name of it, but it was a little "acorn" icon or something instead of the windows logo. It's now been updated to a "home" logo), which made it pretty nice. I liked how fast Windows 8 seemed compared to Win7. Plus, I like the clean look of all the windows and what-not. The Metro interface would also be nice for users that use a big screen tv for their monitor like I do. I could definitely see my self making the switch once the update shown in this video is released.

One thing I noticed, which I'd assume there's a setting for somewhere is; when deleting a file in explorer there was no confirmation box, the file just deleted instantly. Which was kind of jarring to me. But I didn't really look around too much to see if there was a way to enable file deletion confirmation.

Starkadius

One thing I noticed, which I'd assume there's a setting for somewhere is; when deleting a file in explorer there was no confirmation box, the file just deleted instantly. Which was kind of jarring to me. But I didn't really look around too much to see if there was a way to enable file deletion confirmation.

534dbc1cd3814_1.jpg

I noticed this too when I installed Windows 8 on multiple machines and immediately changed the default setting, I have to have a confirmation myself. Just right click the Recycle Bin and hit properties. "Display delete confirmation dialog" is a setting there. I really don't understand why they would have this disabled by default.

Edited by Starkadius

AdrianW

On previous version of windows I always disabled that confirmation dialog - I never saw the need for it. In the situation where you accidentally delete something, it will be in the recycle bin anyway. So why add an extra step to the delete process?

• Like 1

Starkadius

On previous version of windows I always disabled that confirmation dialog - I never saw the need for it. In the situation where you accidentally delete something, it will be in the recycle bin anyway. So why add an extra step to the delete process?

I guess the Windows team at Microsoft took a poll that I was not privy to.

Features Changed/Removed:

Start Menu (Removed)

Delete Confirmation (Changed)

File Explorer - Copy but keep both files - the new one is automatically renamed (Removed)

The last one is the most annoying for my use case as I work a lot with files in explorer. On Windows 8/8.1 they removed the option to automatically rename duplicate files. They only give you [Replace the original, Skip, Compare]. I suppose I am in the minority when it comes to delete confirmation and "copy but keep both files". These are small annoyances to me though and not deal breakers, I just adapted to the changes. One day though there will be a "straw that will break the camel's back" and I will say "Darn it Microsoft I keep giving you the benefit of the doubt, that's it [Insert competing OS] here I come.".

Deihmos
pmac, on 15 Apr 2014 - 6:39 PM, said:

You will get a prompt if it wouldn't move to the recycle bin. First time noticing this.

Edited by Deihmos

In many ways I always thought of Windows Vista as the beta version of Windows 7. Windows 7 was the operating system that Vista was meant to be and just as there was a drastic change going from XP to Vista, the same occurred from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Likewise I see Windows 8 as the beta version of whatever Windows 9 will be. To that extent I would recommend any desktop users still on Windows 7 to simply wait it out until Microsoft finishes adding those missing features which will probably be by the time Windows 9 is out. If Windows 7 works great as it is, there really is no urgent reason to upgrade.

As for MacOSX, I recently installed it on my hackintosh because I was curious about the Mavericks update. I personally really like it a lot and in many ways more than Windows itself (aesthetically). With my current usage it is a matter of what mood I am in, I can easily go from using OSX to Windows and use most of my applications on either. I like having the options but I won't be moving to MacOSX anytime soon simply because there is more games support on Windows (even though I don't have time to game much anymore). I would easily recommend MacOSX to anybody though since it has many of the productivity applications that Windows has, if legacy Windows applications are something that is needed then a Parallels Desktop install can remedy that by allowing you to run those applications within MacOSX as a VM.

Well said buddy!

Till the truth, I wanted to reply here, but you said what I want to post :)

• Like 1

I'm on 8.1 update 1 and you know what it works a treat, add a mousepad for metro apps and it's a cracking htpc OS

trusselo

Flash cards dont delete to recycle bin. I found out the hard way. Thought i was pressing next button on my mouse but was pushing delete on my mouse (razer naga)

pmac

...but was pushing delete on my mouse (razer naga)

ohh... I would hate a delete button on my mouse and no confirmation dialog lol. Especially since I'm not the only one using it. I'd come home every day wondering "What files am I missing now?" haha

trusselo

it was nice originally when i set it up.  I was doing alot of file editing involving cut/copy/paste and delete.  So i had a button for each on my mouse...  then accidentally deleted some photos that are gone forever now...  I re-programmed the mouse button and enabled the dialog again.

5355649ef0222_Naga_Side_View_All.jpg

Edited by trusselo