Poll - Windows 8.1 update 1

WWWestern

Windows 8.1 Update 1 transition poll  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will do the transition to Windows 8.1 Update 1?

• Undecided
    • No
    • Yes
    • Already
    • Waiting (H/W, job, trip, etc.)
    • What is Windows? ;)

Koleckai Silvestri

Ran Windows 8 for a year. Hated it. Updated to 8.1 when it was released and it invalidated my license and deactivated Windows. I went back to Windows 7. Been thinking about upgrading again but really don't see a benefit until the start menu returns properly and I can run Metro apps in a window without third party software.

I'm running 8 on my server only and haven't upgraded it to 8.1 for fear of just what happened to you.  As a server, there is no advantage to my upgrading other than just keeping current and I haven't bitten that off yet.

KarterJK

I have tried it, and IMHO it is an abomination, file explorer is vastly improved over Win 7, it is unfortunate they wrapped it within Metro. Windows 8.0 is tolerable, but with 8.1 many of my programs failed to run and my Netgear A/C wifi adapter simply would not work.  They have removed many core elements, it is not even windows any more.  IE11 is miserable, on my windows 7 units I had to remove it, to many site failures.  Why Chrome and FF can run without problems and IE always, ALWAYS has incompatibility issues, baffles me.

Yet the biggest drawback is the App Store, they truly have an extremely limited amount of useful tools, and no one programs for it (banks, businesses, etc. not even my credit union), as a toy it is a bit costly, so as a true tablet I question it's survival.

There are far, far to many better options available, if they lose their desktop market (which version 8 seems to try to do), and with many government systems and national businesses beginning to transition to linux,  I begin to find myself hard pressed to see them as a viable option within 15 years, if they are even still around.

The reason, I am on this forum is because I am looking for a good replacement for Media Center (want to wean myself from windows) and I may have found it  :rolleyes:

Edited by KarterJK

PBzeer

Just recently bought a new laptop and took the Win 7 x64 Pro option. Then bought 7 x32 Pro to replace my x64 Home Premium on my older laptop. Instant RAM, graphics, sound upgrade over my even older x32 Home (need 32 for some of my older programs). I'd rather spend money on a SSD, then 8.

Koleckai Silvestri

I have tried it, and IMHO it is an abomination, file explorer is vastly improved over Win 7, it is unfortunate they wrapped it within Metro. Windows 8.0 is tolerable, but with 8.1 many of my programs failed to run and my Netgear A/C wifi adapter simply would not work.  They have removed many core elements, it is not even windows any more.  IE11 is miserable, on my windows 7 units I had to remove it, to many site failures.  Why Chrome and FF can run without problems and IE always, ALWAYS has incompatibility issues, baffles me.

Yet the biggest drawback is the App Store, they truly have an extremely limited amount of useful tools, and no one programs for it (banks, businesses, etc. not even my credit union), as a toy it is a bit costly, so as a true tablet I question it's survival.

There are far, far to many better options available, if they lose their desktop market (which version 8 seems to try to do), and with many government systems and national businesses beginning to transition to linux,  I begin to find myself hard pressed to see them as a viable option within 15 years, if they are even still around.

The reason, I am on this forum is because I am looking for a good replacement for Media Center (want to wean myself from windows) and I may have found it  :rolleyes:

This is an interesting take as Microsoft is having its best profitable years ever despite the issues with Windows 8.

gcoupe

I've been running Windows 8/8.1 and now Windows 8.1 Update ever since they've been available on both desktops and tablet (ThinkPad 2). Never had any trouble adapting - on the desktops use mouse/keyboard and tend to be predominantly in Desktop mode; on the tablet, it's touch and predominantly in Metro mode. Never understood the wailing and gnashing of teeth. The Update refines the experience and allows better separation between the two modes for those who need it.

Like KarterJK, I'm looking for a replacement for Media Center, but I'm not looking to wean myself off Windows. On the contrary, the Microsoft ecosystem of multiple form factors and devices connected by cloud services is developing nicely and meeting my needs..

Edited by gcoupe
  • Like 7

jordy

Never thought I would... BUT, a driver install on my W7x64 laptop went horribly wrong - courtesy of windows update - and it bricked the OS - wouldn't boot or repair. So I thought here's an opportunity. Installed 8.1 pro, still not sure about the metro interface, but the desktop is just like being in W7 except there is no traditional start menu for programs. Not a problem if you don't mind desktop/taskbar icons,however there are some programs - notably Microsoft stuff that will only give you a tile on Metro. Anyway, so far so good, just takes a little getting used to. The only thing for me atm is I didn't get the WMC package so now seriously playing with MBT. :)

Deihmos

I have been using Windows update 1 on all my machines for a while now. It isn't a major update and it is mandatory. I have never had an issue. I much prefer windows 8.1 over win 7. Metro apps are nice on the HDTV such as vevo, Netflix and Skype. I don't see why you would not like Win 8 over 7 for an HTPC. For one Win 8 seems a lot faster especially if you have an SSD.

Edited by Deihmos

Koleckai Silvestri

I have been using Windows update 1 on all my machines for a while now. It isn't a major update and it is mandatory. I have never had an issue. I much prefer windows 8.1 over win 7. Metro apps are nice on the HDTV such as vevo, Netflix and Skype. I don't see why you would not like Win 8 over 7 for an HTPC. For one Win 8 seems a lot faster especially if you have an SSD.

More to Windows usage than HTPC though. Six computers in the house that are not HTPC devices. 

The one of the main issues I had with it was being forced to use applications in full screen. Nice if you want full screen but really gets in the way of actually getting work done. The mess of a start screen was well. I don't want everything on my desktop (actually don't show any icons on my desktop) and to have to constantly cleanup and delete stuff off the Metro Start Screen was too much work. Finally opening a document or image and having it go to the Metro App version of things was infuriating and more configuration work to fix. I'd prefer never to see the Metro side of things on my own PC. Luckily they are starting to move back that way and once the Start Menu is operational as it is in Windows 7, the OS will finally be usable in a business environment. Just in time for Windows 9.

Koleckai Silvestri

I take it you have not used Windows 8.1.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Read my first post above. Last time I installed Windows 8.1, I lost three days of work due to it hosing my systems and license activations. Make me very leery of trying it again.

Deihmos

I can't see myself ever going back to Windows 7 and I have never experienced any of your issues. Wmc seems a little faster on win 8.

Koleckai Silvestri

I just need rock solid stability on my machines. WMC isn't even a consideration. It is only installed on one machine in the house and is rarely used for anything. I'll just keep listening to the grapevine to find out what I can about the update. 

Edited by Wayne Luke

Erik

3 Laptops, 2 desktops, 1 tablet all on windows 8.1 and my server on Server 2012 R2...all have run without any problems for me.

I prefer it actually, just takes accepting a chance that we have all gotten use to.

I find it also forces people to keep the start menu clean...I remember those 50 item start menus on some peoples computers...made me shudder.

Starkadius

Ran Windows 8 for a year. Hated it. Updated to 8.1 when it was released and it invalidated my license and deactivated Windows. I went back to Windows 7. Been thinking about upgrading again but really don't see a benefit until the start menu returns properly and I can run Metro apps in a window without third party software.

Windows 8.1 "Start Menu"

http://youtu.be/7c6N_PzPHDs

I'm sure you are aware of this but just uploaded a clip of the keynote where they show the upcoming start menu in action along with modern apps running in windows. I think this is a big deal since this will open up the modern apps to a new market, the desktop users that don't even bother running modern apps because they take up the whole screen. I see myself using the modern email, Skype and music app when this update comes around. This is probably going to be in a Windows 8.1 "Update 2" later this year.

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 2

Deihmos

There are so many options to add a start menu already. I find it much faster to search for what I want rather than scrolling through menus.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Starkadius

There are so many options to add a start menu already. I find it much faster to search for what I want rather than scrolling through menus.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

That is true, there are many options to add a start menu into windows 8/8.1 but the problem is they are third party. Most desktop users that are holding out and staying on Windows 7 don't want to bother installing third party tools for that. It is generally more accepting if the app/gui change is an official one.

Deihmos

I can't say I miss the start menu. I actually like the start screen with the live tiles and I like being able to use tapatalk on my laptop. The only thing I really want in win 8 is the ability to use the win 8 apps in a window and it looks it is coming.

Edited by Deihmos

KarterJK

Windows 8.1 "Start Menu"

I'm sure you are aware of this but just uploaded a clip of the keynote where they show the upcoming start menu in action along with modern apps running in windows. I think this is a big deal since this will open up the modern apps to a new market, the desktop users that don't even bother running modern apps because they take up the whole screen. I see myself using the modern email, Skype and music app when this update comes around. This is probably going to be in a Windows 8.1 "Update 2" later this year.

What they don't tell you, is that they aren't sure when this will happen, nor do they tell you that this is just a mock-up demo, it is not even in development, they have no idea what the end product will actually be like or when they will start development.  I have found Microsoft does a lot of PR stunts, but often doesn't follow through. 

So many, many, many times what they say never happens.

I still don't understand why any one would select a windows tablet over an Apple or Android device, if for no other reason but the apps alone.  I can do banking, deposit checks, buy my bus passes, use my phone as a bus pass, library card, etc. and the list goes on and on and on, none of which can be done on a windows tablet, not because they can't  but because very, very few, businesses or government offices even program for Windows 8. 

I just looked at the Nexus 7 and fell in love, Windows RT can't even compare. Window tablets are clunky compared to Android or Apple devices.

Listen I have 4 windows 8 machines, I waited years for Windows 8 to come out.  I learned my lesson,  I am not impressed and wished I had listened to my friends and gone another route.  Windows 8 is okay, but nothing I would brag about, nor would I recommend as a first option 

But that is just me, everyone will make their own choice.

Edited by KarterJK

KarterJK

This is an interesting take as Microsoft is having its best profitable years ever despite the issues with Windows 8.

Yes, that is true, but it is due to their Office Products Division and Corporate Networking, the Windows division is still on the decline and with XP no longer supported many are upgrading to Windows 7.  So let us not cloud (LOL a little joke there) the issue.  Also, I stand by my words, if Android, Apple and Google applications continue to dominate, business and government will follow the people, and switch to accommodate.  They already are. 

Starkadius

LOL what a joke (I always feel Window 8 enthusiast's are trying to sell me a bag of used goods, they yell so loud)

Yeah I can see you are a closed minded person, I will not bother debating you on any of your points. You cant start off a counter argument by insulting people otherwise no civil discourse can occur. You have already made up your mind on your opinion of Windows in general, I am happy for you.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Windows 8.1 "Start Menu"

http://youtu.be/7c6N_PzPHDs

Yep, I am aware of this.

WWWestern

Stop holy war, please!

This topic was intended for knowing a experience with "Windows 8.1 Update 1" exactly, advantages/disadvantages of transition toward MB3, nor older Windows 8, nor old Windows 8.1, nor oldest Windows versions, nor Apple / Android / Linux / DOS / martian abacus / donkey-elephants etc.

KarterJK

Yeah I can see you are a closed minded person, I will not bother debating you on any of your points. You cant start off a counter argument by insulting people otherwise no civil discourse can occur. You have already made up your mind on your opinion of Windows in general, I am happy for you.

First off, your posted video, I found offensive.  The topic was about personal experiences, I didn't come here to watch Microsoft propaganda sales pitches.  I feel it was inappropriate for you to even post it.  Hence, my comments (seems I can't go anywhere without fanboy's standing on street corners preaching the second coming of Windows 8) 

I revised my post, does that make you happier, would you like a kiss to make it feel better?

Closed minded? Is that an insult? My intent was not to offend, I stated I have 4 windows 8 machines, I believe I talk from experience.  You do realize that this forum is about Media Browser, Microsoft was going to cut Media Center entirely, and that may be why some are even here, I know that is partly why I am here.  They have stripped so much from previous versions.  

I just want people, to be wary of what Microsoft says, if you would like me to quote examples, I will.  Post your video's, fine, maybe you didn't know it was just a mock up demo.  I just want people to know the whole story, I personally grow weary of their type of corporate propaganda.  Oh and I wasn't trying to debate you, You love Windows 8, great, I don't hate it, I am just not fond of it, there is no debate.

Edited by KarterJK