Poll - Windows 8.1 update 1

WWWestern

Windows 8.1 Update 1 transition poll  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will do the transition to Windows 8.1 Update 1?

• Undecided
    • No
    • Yes
    • Already
    • Waiting (H/W, job, trip, etc.)
    • What is Windows? ;)

AgileHumor

First off, your posted video, I found offensive.

KarterJK, I think your out of line...and everyone is over reacting. Your obviously angry at Microsoft due to some product decisions...and IMO. this forum topic isn't the time to share this.  Feel free to take your own topic to discuss your frustrations...and not use a poll on upgrading to 8.1.1.

PS - On topic, I am also sticking with Windows 8 (not 8.1) until 8.1.1 is released for some time.

Edited by AgileHumor

trooper11

I just want people, to be wary of what Microsoft says, if you would like me to quote examples, I will.  Post your video's, fine, maybe you didn't know it was just a mock up demo.  I just want people to know the whole story, I personally grow weary of their type of corporate propaganda.  Oh and I wasn't trying to debate you, You love Windows 8, great, I don't hate it, I am just not fond of it, there is no debate.

Videos from BUILD are relevant pieces of information.  You may call them propaganda, but the fact remains that it shows MS is making changes and its ok for people to be aware of that. Of course it should be pointed out that what really matters is when its actually released.  Its just a mockup for now.

Seriously though, MS is not perfect by any means, but I don't see them as all a bunch of liars hell bent on making people miserable.  Heck, you could apply the same label to Apple, Android, etc if you really wanted to.  They have made mistakes and have recently been working to fix those mistakes and turn over a new leaf with consumers thanks to all the reorg and change at the top.

If you are confident that MS and its products are on the way out, then that's understandable.  Right now, there are plenty of ways to avoid MS products, so you can exercise your right as a consumer to choose.  I would assume that if you are so offended by hearing anything come from MS, you probably prefer not to use any of their products. We will have to wait and see if it is all coming to an end.

Some people don't hate Win 8/8.1 as much as others and you can indeed like it without being labeled a fanboy.  However, if you don't like it, there are clear reasons why someone might not and it doesn't make them a hater. Let's just try to remember that and also remember that this thread is about getting Update 1. If there are specific points to be made, we can focus on the changes it makes. 

• Like 1

Getting update 1 right now. 5 months with my Dell Venue 8 Pro and Windows 8.1, haven't regretted my Christmas purchase decision a single day.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Really if you don't want opposing opinions, you shouldn't ask on a public forum. Seems this is really for claps on the back and attaboys. Anyway, good luck with your systems everyone. 

Starkadius

@@KarterJK

This is getting out of hand. Karter I apologize for saying you are a closed minded person, I don't know you personally so that is out of line on my part. I only said that based on the tone of your responses you have been posting, I noticed a lot of anger towards Microsoft in them but maybe that was my own perception which may be wrong.

If you read my posts, I don't say I love windows 8 or Microsoft, I was simply responding to Wayne Luke whom twice posted on different responses how in order for him to consider going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1+ it would need to have the start menu and modern app windows without third party support. Wayne Luke is a tech savvy user but just in case he did not see it I wanted to show him a video clip of the upcoming start menu in action.

I read about how the BUILD start menu is supposedly a mockup, but they are "rumors" that the final version will be different and I take rumors very lightly. Unless an employee at Microsoft publicly says they are not going to use the one at BUILD, I will believe what they said/showed intially. In any case, I have moved on from using the Start Menu so regardless of the final product, it will only be a bonus for my usage and not a necessity. For other users that do need a classic Start Menu I imagine that will be the final nail in the Windows coffin that will drive them to competitors if they don't deliver and understandably so.

KarterJK, again I apologize if I offended you.

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 1

trooper11

Really if you don't want opposing opinions, you shouldn't ask on a public forum. Seems this is really for claps on the back and attaboys. Anyway, good luck with your systems everyone. 

Its not about opposing views and its not about fanboys.  Its all about how you state your position.  Its amazing that some people would call others fanboys looking for support just because they like something and some call others haters because they dislike something, even when the reasons on both sides are reasonable. 

The problem comes when someone goes too far, makes it personal, beyond those reasonable points.

You seemed to state your opinion quite reasonably and nothing bad came of it. You seemed to have a fine conversation about it in fact.

Edited by trooper11
  • Like 1

Starkadius

53462b5b4d757_1.jpg

Windows 8.1 Update 1 - Taskbar with the modern app now pinned along with the other MB clients. Options are always good to have.

gcoupe

So if you're on Windows 8 and don't update, Microsoft is cutting you off next month. So no weekly bug fixes or security patches.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/9/5596586/windows-8-1-update-now-available

This blog post on the 8.1 Update from Microsoft makes for very interesting reading:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/04/07/exploring-windows-8-1-update-start-screen-d...

In particular, my eye was caught by:

Windows 8.1 is a prerequisite (vs Windows 8 RTM)

• Windows 8.1 media/WIMs/TechNet ISOs/Store bits/etc will be slipstreamed with this Update in the near term

Does this mean that at some point, all machines running Windows 8 will be upgraded/updated to Windows 8.1 via Windows Update automatically? At the moment, the Upgrade is marked as important, but optional, by Microsoft in Windows Update. One scenario might be that once the additions mentioned above are included, then the switch will be thrown to upgrade everyone automatically...

I guess I better go update my server to 8.1.  I've been putting it off but I'd rather do it myself than have the system automatically do it and then I don't know what happened.

AgileHumor

I guess I better go update my server to 8.1.  I've been putting it off but I'd rather do it myself than have the system automatically do it and then I don't know what happened.

I'm in the same boat.  I've heard ServerWMC may need to be reinstalled, but that is about it.

Please share any other apps that may misbehave after the upgrade.

WWWestern

I couldn't (because undocumented error, I think the consequences of power loss earlier in the week) install the update through WU, so I had download components individually, and then manually install the component by component. Automatic boot to Desktop, as promised, didn't happen, so I changed the settings for this.

I haven't noticed any incompatibilities or other problems with the previously installed programs. Everything is running smoothly. I hope that is the case.

Me too.  Was pretty painless. Took a couple hours to download and install but everything appears to be running fine.

• Like 1

trooper11

This blog post on the 8.1 Update from Microsoft makes for very interesting reading:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/04/07/exploring-windows-8-1-update-start-screen-d...

In particular, my eye was caught by:

Windows 8.1 is a prerequisite (vs Windows 8 RTM)

• Windows 8.1 media/WIMs/TechNet ISOs/Store bits/etc will be slipstreamed with this Update in the near term

Does this mean that at some point, all machines running Windows 8 will be upgraded/updated to Windows 8.1 via Windows Update automatically? At the moment, the Upgrade is marked as important, but optional, by Microsoft in Windows Update. One scenario might be that once the additions mentioned above are included, then the switch will be thrown to upgrade everyone automatically...

I would say that is how it will work. 

That is how MS usually handles updates that go from recommended to critical. 

So anyone that wishes to stay on 8 would need to disable automatic updates.  Of course that will cut you off from later updates.

My update to 8.1 also went smoothly and so far, my programs are still working correctly.

Edited by trooper11

JeremyFr79

Getting update 1 right now. 5 months with my Dell Venue 8 Pro and Windows 8.1, haven't regretted my Christmas purchase decision a single day.

Same here, I picked up a Venue 8 Pro as well, I have a new Win8 Laptop but it's nice to have something smaller to take along that isn't gimped in what it can do like Android/IOS tablets.  Having full windows in an 8" handheld form factor was the god send I'd been looking for, I quickly got rid of my Nexus 7 to get one :)

AgileHumor

I spoke a little too soon.  Here are the issues i had.

* ServerWMC - Downloaded latest version and installed...all .Net errors where fixed

* Had to re-activate CableCard on Ceton InifiniTV 6 ETH using Windows Media Center > Settings > TV Signal

* Ceton WMC Addon Crashes at Launch - Disabled and still can get cablecard.  I think that is needed for tuner pooling (advanced scenario) which I don't use.  Tried repairing and uninstall/resintall.  No worries here.

* Niveus XM won't work anymore.  Tried repairing and uninstall/resintall.

Note - if you use Media Cente Themer, I think you need the latest version.  I upgraded a month ago and that version worked OK.

Only issues I have outstanding is that Niveus XM won't work anymore.

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 1

Aphid

The one of the main issues I had with it was being forced to use applications in full screen.

I am writing this on Windows 8, and this is news to me!

8.1 is exactly the same as 7, except for better multi-monitor support (and a few other minor improvements), and some extra stuff that I never use or see.

Koleckai Silvestri

Really? How do you make the default metro apps load in a window without third party software addons? How do you make the search show in a desktop window?

trooper11

Really? How do you make the default metro apps load in a window without third party software addons? How do you make the search show in a desktop window?

My guess:  He doesn't use metro apps or the search function.  You didn't use the word 'some' before apps, so you were basically saying all apps worked that way even if you didn't mean that.

I run into this a lot as some users simply don't run into the issues because it does not interfere with how they use the pc.  I guess that is also why the problems in 8 don't affect everyone the same.  People that rarely, if ever, use the start menu or its own search function probably were able to more easily move into 8/8.1

Then you have the scenarios where people actually want the fullscreen experience.  I have been using it as a media dashboard on my htpc for example.

Edited by trooper11

Koleckai Silvestri

My guess:  He doesn't use metro apps or the search function.  You didn't use the word 'some' before apps, so you were basically saying all apps worked that way even if you didn't mean that.

That is a stretch and not how the English language works.

Photo Viewing, Calculator, Mindsweep (while on hold on calls), basically anything with a Metro equivalent opens full screen. Even IE was constantly opening in Metro Mode. Luckily I only use IE for Webex because it works there without Java installed on my machine. Then you can't close the apps without hovering your mouse over a corner of your screen. I realize that the new taskbar functions should help alleviate some of the closing issues. 

Full screen would be great on a device with touch enabled or using a remote. Not in my opinion for a multi-monitor work station where you're dealing with code, customer websites and technical documentation. I realize that Microsoft has made changes but without apps opening in windows on an OS called "Windows" it still doesn't make sense.

Overall, it was a huge drain on productivity for me and a lot of annoyances. I've been using Windows since 1992 and this is the first time I seriously thought about switching operating systems completely. Though to OS X not Linux like the other poster.

trooper11

That is a stretch and not how the English language works.

Photo Viewing, Calculator, Mindsweep (while on hold on calls), basically anything with a Metro equivalent opens full screen. Even IE was constantly opening in Metro Mode. Luckily I only use IE for Webex because it works there without Java installed on my machine. Then you can't close the apps without hovering your mouse over a corner of your screen. I realize that the new taskbar functions should help alleviate some of the closing issues. 

Full screen would be great on a device with touch enabled or using a remote. Not in my opinion for a multi-monitor work station where you're dealing with code, customer websites and technical documentation. I realize that Microsoft has made changes but without apps opening in windows on an OS called "Windows" it still doesn't make sense.

Overall, it was a huge drain on productivity for me and a lot of annoyances. I've been using Windows since 1992 and this is the first time I seriously thought about switching operating systems completely. Though to OS X not Linux like the other poster.

I'm not sure why IE would open in metro mode for you, that never happened to me unless I went to the metro version of IE.

Metro apps run in full screen or snapped modes while desktop apps still run in a window.  So the point is that if people use windows but don't use the metro apps, then they are not likely to run into the productivity issues you ran into. Or perhaps they do use metro apps, but only for entertainment purposes, in which case they run them full screen anyway.  It doesn't invalidate your issues, it just illustrates why its not a universal issue.

So for you in particular, it sounds like you should be sticking to desktop apps and avoid metro apps where possible.  Your right that Update 1 adds a lot to help you.  Things like metro apps tied to the taskbar, menu controls at the top of any metro app that work like any desktop app, and the option to see the taskbar even while running metro apps help your situation, but its not a complete solution.  It sounds like you actually need to use some metro apps as part of your work flow, so that means dealing with issues like them being full screen.  I happen to also use a calc app as part of my work and I would prefer one that would work in a window, although my solution currently has simply been to leave it snapped to the side.  It works, but again, not the solution that is needed. 

I'll mention a scenario I discovered with the new update.  Its a little thing, but helpful in the way I sometimes do work on my pc.  I like to listen to music.  I also happen to use Xbox Music for that.  Well before Update 1, I had to launch the app from the start screen, pick my playlist and then switch back to the desktop by moving my mouse to the top left corner and clicking.  I had gotten use to that, but I thought it could be done better for desktop users.  I also didn't like the fact that I had to switch back to the app to say pause/play or switch tracks.  Well the new update comes and now I can pin the xbox music icon to the taskbar and even better, I can use playback controls directly from the jump list of the pinned icon, like you could with media player. Its kind of a small thing, but it feels so much better for me.  Then the fact that any running metro app now shows up in the taskbar is a plus for my usage as well. Plus, being able to just click the 'x' to close any app when on a desktop pc is great too.  Again, I had gotten use to holding down a click a the top of a metro app and dragging it down to close, but the 'x' is faster and I like it. 

Its no shock that you would move away form Windows entirely considering the real issues you have hurt your workflow.  Moving to a mac right now sounds like a good option to improve your productivity.  You could also use Windows 7 if you want to stay in Windows and then maybe move on once MS fixes the issues you have.  Nothing wrong with 7, that's for sure. 

I happen to run 8 on a pc that I do work on most of the day and my productivity has not be affected beyond the two issues mentioned of the calc app and the music app.  I don't use any other metro apps for my work, so I don't even have to touch that side of things.  I live on the desktop using the taskbar, as I did in Windows 7.  I was not a heavy user of the start menu in 7 and that carried over to 8. But again, my scenario just happens to be different and it doesn't change the fact that there are real issues that affect all of us and real issues that affect some.  MS needs to fix them considering windows is suppose to be about productivity and the metro side of 8 is not there yet.  They seem to have gotten the message, but only time will tell if it improves.

Edited by trooper11

Deihmos

You cannot use metro apps in win 7 so I am not sure why that bothers you. Update 1 adds the ability to run them on the desktop and minimize to desktop with the traditional minimize button.

Win + f or the side bar search does not take you to the start screen. That changed since Windows 8.1. If you open the metro calculator of course it will be full screen. Solution is to open the desktop calculator. IE will open in metro mode if you are working in metro mode and changing the default apps for picture is really simple.

Edited by Deihmos

Koleckai Silvestri

You cannot use metro apps in win 7 so I am not sure why that bothers you. Update 1 adds the ability to run them on the desktop and minimize to desktop.

Win + f or the side bar. Search does not take you to the start screen since Windows 8.1.

I used Windows 8 from release day until Windows 8.1 was released. I upgrade to Windows 8.1 on accident by going to the Windows Store and clicking on a button labeled "Download". That button didn't download, it installed. That install not only invalidated my Windows License, which Microsoft wants me to pay $140.00 to replace, it made my machine inoperable. That is when I went back to Windows 7.

So for a year, it bothered me a lot and a desktop should not be able to be minimized at all. That is the entire problem with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. If I choose to run apps on the Desktop, they should always run on the desktop. I shouldn't have to use the Metro functionality at all.

The original question was asking if you're upgrading or have reservations about upgrading. Currently, I am downright afraid of upgrading to any Microsoft plafform after 7 due to the problems that previously occurred. I've actually had a Windows 8 disc sitting on my desk for the last two months while I debate these issues. I have no assurance that another license isn't going to be eaten by upgrades. This is real money lost. This is my last license that I purchase in the preview sale. I'd never purchase a Windows Phone or Tablet due to them. All I've tried to do is provide my point of view. 

trooper11

I used Windows 8 from release day until Windows 8.1 was released. I upgrade to Windows 8.1 on accident by going to the Windows Store and clicking on a button labeled "Download". That button didn't download, it installed. That install not only invalidated my Windows License, which Microsoft wants me to pay $140.00 to replace, it made my machine inoperable. That is when I went back to Windows 7.

So for a year, it bothered me a lot and a desktop should not be able to be minimized at all. That is the entire problem with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. If I choose to run apps on the Desktop, they should always run on the desktop. I shouldn't have to use the Metro functionality at all.

The original question was asking if you're upgrading or have reservations about upgrading. Currently, I am downright afraid of upgrading to any Microsoft plafform after 7 due to the problems that previously occurred. I've actually had a Windows 8 disc sitting on my desk for the last two months while I debate these issues. I have no assurance that another license isn't going to be eaten by upgrades. This is real money lost. This is my last license that I purchase in the preview sale. I'd never purchase a Windows Phone or Tablet due to them. All I've tried to do is provide my point of view. 

MS will not honor your Windows 8 key?  That's crazy.  I don't get why if you provided proof of how you got the license that they wouldn't just make it work. Surely you can press the issue.

I did forgot about the fact that yes, you can still use the desktop calc app.  I had forgotten it was still there myself, so that is a good point.  At least the desktop app is there for you to use and avoid the metro version.

Considering MS has literally ripped you off, I am not surprised that you will never buy a product from them again.  Its too bad MS has done that to you because it means you miss out on some possibly good products.  They have only hurt themselves.