Sort and filter of the content of collections

harold

spincycle999
12 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We already have that capability.

I was testing you. You passed.   J/K, thanks for the reply! 

• 1 month later...
Diedrich

I would also like to see all the sort options that are available in the main library to be available for sorting while in a collection.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

JoeAverage92

I am also very interested in having a custom sort in collection. I am trying to replicate collection like AFI top 100 movies and presently you can't. Playlists are not convenient because when you click on a movie, it does not display the info but start the movie.

By the way, what is happening when you create a collection, then move a file of the collection to a different storage place (e.g. from HDD1 to HDD2). Is it deleted from the collection.xml file?

Also, is there a tool to convert a playlist.xml into a collection.xml?

Edited by JoeAverage92

17 hours ago, JoeAverage92 said:

Also, is there a tool to convert a playlist.xml into a collection.xml?

Not that I'm aware of, but in the 4.5 server that wouldn't be hard to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Diedrich
On 3/18/2021 at 9:35 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  We already have that capability.

image.png

Gah. I keep forgetting about this setting! It's so not intuitive since this feature is an icon in the libraries view. It would be helpful to treat indiviual collections as a library (in respects to the GUI and what the user sees) rather than a unique item. I'd like to see the icon indicated in my screenshot below included in the GUI of the individual collection's screen, please.

image.thumb.png.66442122b13f8e103610dc33305a5eb0.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

MBSki

In addition to the sorting, I'd really like to see the grouping by media type brought back to collections. The only place the grouping is available is in the Android TV app, but the others need it too. @Luke Please bring back the grouped view as an option.

• 1 year later...
GrimReaper
37 minutes ago, maxiniedermeier said:

Would it be possible to add a Chronological sort order inside a Collection as well

Hi there, what do you mean by that? Chronological order is the default order in Collection view. 

SikSlayer
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Hi there, what do you mean by that? Chronological order is the default order in Collection view. 

I assume he means plot wise, not release.

Star Wars being the obvious example.

• Like 1

maxiniedermeier
On 10/10/2022 at 8:06 PM, SikSlayer said:

I assume he means plot wise, not release.

Star Wars being the obvious example.

Exactly

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Sort Title covers Star Wars though depending on the naming scheme.  But yes alternate sort order is needed preferably a drag and drop order.

image.thumb.png.8bea65ba591a2c64d580ad1578ed38fd.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
MBSki

@Luke The first option in the sort menu is Collection Order. What is that? Just the Aired, Absolute, or DVD sort in the metadata? 

image.png.093b9dd961ed0307c209cad8761ba693.png

And I don't quite understand sort by Album and Artist. What is it supposed to do in a mixed collection? here's what I'm seeing. I have 2 artists in the collection, and those are the only items that sort. the others are random.  

image.png.9f5b19a91b9036df8eda061bdf916314.png

1 minute ago, MBSki said:

@Luke The first option in the sort menu is Collection Order. What is that? Just the Aired, Absolute, or DVD sort in the metadata? 

image.png.093b9dd961ed0307c209cad8761ba693.png

And I don't quite understand sort by Album and Artist. What is it supposed to do in a mixed collection? here's what I'm seeing. I have 2 artists in the collection, and those are the only items that sort. the others are random.  

image.png.9f5b19a91b9036df8eda061bdf916314.png

Collection Order is the default that is set in the metadata editor for that collection.

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Collection Order is the default that is set in the metadata editor for that collection.

Ok, that's what I thought. 

What about my second question? 

3 minutes ago, MBSki said:

Ok, that's what I thought. 

What about my second question? 

Did you try it? It's just like sorting any other list by album or artist.

MBSki
Just now, Luke said:

Did you try it? It's just like sorting any other list by album or artist.

You did see my picture right? Since you can put anything in a collection, the sorts that are available are a bit confusing. They dont always sort. So if you pick Album with only 2 albums, and the rest are movies, what's the logic? It seems like the albums movie to the front sorted by Album title. The rest are what? Random? Or are they supposed to use the default order? 

The view could use a tweak if it's just going to sort what's relevant to the selected sort. Frankly I'm not sure putting Album and Artist in for sort makes any sense. It would only make sense for an all music collection. And even then I'm not so sure.

14 minutes ago, MBSki said:

You did see my picture right? Since you can put anything in a collection, the sorts that are available are a bit confusing. They dont always sort. So if you pick Album with only 2 albums, and the rest are movies, what's the logic? It seems like the albums movie to the front sorted by Album title. The rest are what? Random? Or are they supposed to use the default order? 

The view could use a tweak if it's just going to sort what's relevant to the selected sort. Frankly I'm not sure putting Album and Artist in for sort makes any sense. It would only make sense for an all music collection. And even then I'm not so sure.

Then I just wouldn't use those sort options, but they're there for those who use collections with music.

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Then I just wouldn't use those sort options, but they're there for those who use collections with music.

LOL, right, I know I don't have to use them. 

Can you please explain the logic for a mixed collection? How are the non Album items supposed to be sorted if choosing the Album filter?

4 minutes ago, MBSki said:

LOL, right, I know I don't have to use them. 

Can you please explain the logic for a mixed collection? How are the non Album items supposed to be sorted if choosing the Album filter?

Items that don't have those values will generally all get thrown to the front or back of the list depending on the sorting. It's the same thing as sorting movies by year when half the movies don't have the year filled out.

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Items that don't have those values will generally all get thrown to the front or back of the list depending on the sorting. It's the same thing as sorting movies by year when half the movies don't have the year filled out.

Ok, so they don't get any sorting, it's just random. Got it. Thanks.