Sort and filter of the content of collections

harold

Tried to search for this feature request but couldn't find it.

It would be very good to be able to sort and filter the content of collections. I have some collections with a lot of movies (1001 movies you have to see before you die, Criterion collection, etc). As of today you can sort and filter the collections themselves but you can't sort and filter the content. So if I want to find an unseen movie from my 1001 collection I will have to scroll through a lot of movies. 

In the collection view you also separate categories (movies, tv, ...) and it would be great to be able to choose to not separate them also.

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

Well it's a little hard given that collections are already separated into categories. Truthfully I'm not sure the collections feature is built for collections with 1000 items.

Not separating categories would be a bonus but the filtering and sorting is the main wish and would be great if it could be implemented. To be able to see which IMDb Top 250 movies I haven't seen yet for example. Performance wise I don't have any problems with my large collections and I add and update them via the api without any problems. 

Edited by harold

• 8 months later...

Nice, 

Any news about it?

In this page almost all my collection have seen items and are still displayed despite the only unwatched filter applied
LV3oG0j.png

I believe only collections with at least one item not watched should be displayed so 28 Later Saga shouldn't be displayed in my case : 

oWxhEcs.png

• 1 year later...
MBSki

@ebr I don't see anything in here about custom sort. This feature suggestion seems a bit different than the one I'm suggesting. I'm asking for adding a custom sort option here, so the order of movies will show up in chronological order when opening the collection.

image.png.8b7407cb260203000860fc2ee5f8849f.png

• Like 1

Just now, mbarylski said:

@ebr I don't see anything in here about custom sort. This feature suggestion seems a bit different than the one I'm suggesting. I'm asking for adding a custom sort option here, so the order of movies will show up in chronological order when opening the collection.

image.png.8b7407cb260203000860fc2ee5f8849f.png

Custom sorting is accomplished by editing the sortName field and sorting by name.  That is common throughout the system so, at such time that we allowed sorting of collection contents, that would be possible as well.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, crusher11 said:

The Sort Name field affects how it sorts everywhere, though, not just in a collection. 

True.  You would want them to sort differently in the main library and you don't collapse into collections?

MBSki
1 minute ago, ebr said:

True.  You would want them to sort differently in the main library and you don't collapse into collections?

I didn't understand that. But I'm looking for a different sort in collections than in the main library. The custom or chronological sort would be unique to each individual collection.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I didn't understand that. But I'm looking for a different sort in collections than in the main library. The custom or chronological sort would be unique to each individual collection.

If you collapse your views into collections, then you'd never see them in the main library individually was my point.

How would you define this sort order?  It sounds like maybe what you really want is a playlist...

MBSki
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you collapse your views into collections, then you'd never see them in the main library individually was my point.

Not the way I'm thinking of it. The custom sort in collections would just be for collections and nothing else.

3 minutes ago, ebr said:

It sounds like maybe what you really want is a playlist...

I suppose that's possible. But I'm looking for it to show up in the collection, not a separate list.

MBSki

@ebr I'm testing out using playlists instead and it seems promising. Is there any way to edit the xml playlist file though? It'll be much easier to move episodes within the playlist around if I can cut and paste within the file. I've tried editing and saving in Notepad and Word, but it keeps reverting back to what it was before my edits.

8 hours ago, mbarylski said:

@ebr I'm testing out using playlists instead and it seems promising. Is there any way to edit the xml playlist file though? It'll be much easier to move episodes within the playlist around if I can cut and paste within the file. I've tried editing and saving in Notepad and Word, but it keeps reverting back to what it was before my edits.

You can, just run a regular library scan afterwards.

• Thanks 1

MBSki

@ebr OK, so I got playlists set up and the work pretty good. A little different than this request I think, but being able to add EVERY movie AND episode in chronological order is really useful. It's so useful that I started to also use it to watch certain collections in the chronological order. One problem that I can't find a solution for.

Is there a way to resume a playlist? It seems I don't see a resume playlist option anywhere.

22 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Is there a way to resume a playlist? It seems I don't see a resume playlist option anywhere.

Not at this time. There is an existing FR for that.

• Thanks 1

MBSki
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Not at this time. There is an existing FR for that.

I can't find this feature request. If you get a sec, can you point me to it? 

In the meantime, I did figure out a workaround. If I Cast from mobile as soon as I open the app on my phone, and then select the video within the playlist that I want to watch, it will play on my TV device (Xbox or Android TV) as if it's part of the playlist. Not perfect, but it is a lot easier to scroll through a long playlist on a phone than it is in one of the TV apps.

This says audio playlist and then there is another one specific to audio books but it is all the same thing from our perspective - saving a resume state for an ordered list.

MBSki
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

This says audio playlist and then there is another one specific to audio books but it is all the same thing from our perspective - saving a resume state for an ordered list.

Got it, thanks. I was looking specifically for a video playlist. Appreciate your help.

• 1 month later...
spincycle999

Sorting and filtering within a collection would be awesome! For some collections alpha sort is better than a chronological sort. If too complex to design something that can be resorted on the fly because collections are their own category. Couldn't a new meta tag (or tags) be created within the collection that declares the sort order for the xml? From what I can tell the current collection xml file is reading: <DisplayOrder>PremiereDate</DisplayOrder> when it loads. Perhaps have it read something along the lines of  <DisplayOrder>custMeta1</DisplayOrder> for single level sort or <DisplayOrder>custMeta1,custMeta2</DisplayOrder> for multi-level sort. By declaring the sort in the meta, it make the process dynamic. Personally I see a lot or value in users deciding how they want to see each individual collection. Some collections can be by premiere, some by title, etc.. It doesn't need to be one size fits all. Theoretically, something similar can be also  applied to playlists. I've seen a few requests/posts requesting different views for collections and playlists. I think using the meta data as the driver would satisfy a number of those requests. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, spincycle999 said:

For some collections alpha sort is better than a chronological sort

Hi.  We already have that capability.

image.png