How to properly configure dockerize Emby to use Chromecast on internal network?

benze

I'm fairly new to Emby and trying to understand what configuration I need to do to get Emby Android App to cast to my Chromecast.

I'm set up as follows:

Router: 192.168.1.254

Docker Engine 192.168.1.197

Dockerized Emby: 172.16.0.3

Nginx-reverse-proxy: 172.16.0.4 (Exposed port 80)

Currently, I have my Emby server (port 8096) reverse proxied via Nginx, and Nginx port 80 exposed on my Docker Engine.

This allows me to access the Emby server at: 192.168.1.197:80 via a fqdn of emby.domain.com.  (The FQDN is mapped via dnsmasq in my router).  When I configure my app to use emby.domain.com, it is able to stream video to the app without problems.  However, if I try to Cast to my Chromecast, I see the cast app on my TV, but it unable to connect to my phone.  I've read a few other posts on this issue, and it seems that the Chromecast is unable to connect to my Emby server.

Indeed, if I expose Emby's 8096 port on my Docker Engine and use 192.168.1.197:8096 as my server address in the app, the Chromecast is able to connect properly.

I have also tried adding a rule to my router's iptables redirecting all traffic from my Chromecast destined to 172.16.0.3 to 192.168.1.197.  That works as well.

Consequently, I have come to the conclusion that the App is telling the Chromecast to find Emby at 172.16.0.3:8096.  

I've looked at my Configuration page in the Emby server, but not sure what I need to specify to get this working.  At the moment, I have:

• LAN Networks: 192.168.1.0/24, 172.0.0.0/8
  • Local http: 8096
  • Public http port: 8096
  • External domain: <blank>
  • Enable automatic port mapping: <checked>

I can't imagine that the correct solution is to use an iptables rule.   How/what is the correct configuration to get this to work?  Incidentally, I'm only looking to use Emby locally at the moment.

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by benze