Emby Experience, Coming from Plex / MythTV

sfatula

I need the multirec support also. 

In Australia, the TV stations constantly overrun, and decide to start shows later and can run up to 20 minutes over. Specially the wife's reality TV rubbish.

For this reason, you have to set a 30 minute recording post padding so you don't miss the end. 

If you wish to record the show that starts after it on the same channel, and maybe some other shows at the same time on the other channels also, you need multirec or a shed load of tuners.

We have five stations in Aus that play 24+ channels (Yes - very limited compared to most other countries) - of those, I have only ever watched 7 of them!. 

If you have multirec, and 5 tuners available, then you could theoretically record everything at the same time - assuming the network and disk was fast enough (not likely).  I have never more than 4 tuners in use on my system - as I have multirec via tvheadend.  Cant move to Emby until they also have multirec.

dranderson402

Multistream (as some call multirec) does indeed work with emby's dvr. I post record sunday's shows on cbs by 60 minutes in case of sports running late. I record 2 or 3 shows on Sunday, one at 7, 8 and 9pm. Emby only uses one tuner.

Multistream apparently does not work when watching live tv. Either watching live on 2 different devices or watching the same channel being recorded live.

I freely admit I've just skimmed through this, I don't have a Homerun and I don't have these subgroup things (this 2.1, 2.4, 2.5 stuff), but was just wondering would it help to use NextPVR and the NextPVR plug-in in Emby at all, maybe, perhaps, possibly.

If you have a windows machine available to run NextPVR on.  It doesn't need to be the same machine running Emby but can be.  Setup NextPVR and get it working which is pretty simple.  Then install Emby's NextPVR plugin and configure it and that pretty much takes care of it.

Multistream (as some call multirec) does indeed work with emby's dvr. I post record sunday's shows on cbs by 60 minutes in case of sports running late. I record 2 or 3 shows on Sunday, one at 7, 8 and 9pm. Emby only uses one tuner.

Multistream apparently does not work when watching live tv. Either watching live on 2 different devices or watching the same channel being recorded live.

Actually it doesn't.  You may not understand what is being asked for here.  Multistream allows the program in question to get the complete transpoder feed back from the tuner.  This will include all virtual channels (main & subs) of that channel on the same frequency.  The program can then pull this apart into the separate channels.

This could allow you to record 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 & 3.4 with one tuner if these conditions are met.

What you mention about sports and one show following another is just Emby's smart use of recording the stream.  Emby knows it never has to tune to the same channel using more than one tuner.  So if you record one show with post padding and the next show also records they are both active at the same time but Emby uses only one tuner but writes the results to 2 files simultaneously and tracks when each "file/stream" ends.

Having Multistream is even more important NOW then it was 3 months ago, now that Silicon Dust has unveiled their Premium TV which uses tuner slots.

By combining these "multi-streams" on the OTA tuners we can keep more slots available for OTA as well as PTV use!!!

All the presently selling HD OTA tuners support this but not with the simple URL method.  You have to use their programming library to access this functionality.  It's not very hard at all but would require Emby team to rewrite part of the code which is worth it IMHO.

• Like 2

dranderson402

If you have a windows machine available to run NextPVR on.  It doesn't need to be the same machine running Emby but can be.  Setup NextPVR and get it working which is pretty simple.  Then install Emby's NextPVR plugin and configure it and that pretty much takes care of it.

Actually it doesn't.  You may not understand what is being asked for here.  Multistream allows the program in question to get the complete transpoder feed back from the tuner.  This will include all virtual channels (main & subs) of that channel on the same frequency.  The program can then pull this apart into the separate channels.

This could allow you to record 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 & 3.4 with one tuner if these conditions are met.

What you mention about sports and one show following another is just Emby's smart use of recording the stream.  Emby knows it never has to tune to the same channel using more than one tuner.  So if you record one show with post padding and the next show also records they are both active at the same time but Emby uses only one tuner but writes the results to 2 files simultaneously and tracks when each "file/stream" ends.

Having Multistream is even more important NOW then it was 3 months ago, now that Silicon Dust has unveiled their Premium TV which uses tuner slots.

By combining these "multi-streams" on the OTA tuners we can keep more slots available for OTA as well as PTV use!!!

All the presently selling HD OTA tuners support this but not with the simple URL method.  You have to use their programming library to access this functionality.  It's not very hard at all but would require Emby team to rewrite part of the code which is worth it IMHO.

I actually do understand, I just may not know how to explain it or use the correct language. I was just giving one example of the recording using one tuner, in my last example was on the same channel. Earler in the post I also said emby only uses one tuner when I'm recording one show on 44.1 and another on 44.2 at the same time.

Earler in the post I also said emby only uses one tuner when I'm recording one show on 44.1 and another on 44.2 at the same time.

Yes, that's what I'm saying Emby can't presently due with the URL API it currently uses (not to my knowledge anyway).

If you get time, try and duplicate this.

Sammy

What you mention about sports and (1) one show following another is just Emby's smart use of recording the stream.  Emby knows it never has to tune to the same channel using more than one tuner.  So if you record one show with post padding and the next show also records they are both active at the same time but Emby uses only one tuner but writes the results to 2 files simultaneously and tracks when each "file/stream" ends.

All the presently selling HD OTA tuners support this but not with the simple URL method.  You have to use their programming library to access this functionality.  (2) It's not very hard at all but would require Emby team to rewrite part of the code which is worth it IMHO.

(1) Yup. I had overlap of 6 shows at 10pm last night and due to the fact that many of them were on the same channel I recorded all of them anyways using one Quatro. I did actually make the time to install my second quatro this morning but need to make the time to finish what we started!! I'll send a PM this afternoon.

(2) Hopefully they will do this! @@Luke @@ebr

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

dranderson402

well, it's been a while since I've recorded something at the same time on the 2 sub-channels. The last time I did I remember it worked but I just started a recording on the both sub-channels and it used 2 tuners. So I stand corrected.

Did you ever play with NextPVR at any time with the Emby Plugin?  If so maybe you did see it only using one tuner.

I've seen the tuner page in one slightly older firmware of the HDHomeRun not report a tuner in use on a sub channel as well (now fixed) so it's also possible you saw this as well.  So it's quite possible you really did see "one" tuner in use when it still was actually using two.  Goofy things happen!

sfatula

Exactly my use. Totally agree.

• Like 1