Emby Experience, Coming from Plex / MythTV

sfatula

sfatula

Having tried a number of media centers in the past, I was not expecting too much. Just the usual problems, hassles, etc. I had a setup that worked pretty well, MythTV (a *very* good DVR very rich with features), and, Plex. Things I am missing from Emby (at a minimum):

• MultiRec. We have channels 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 (OTA) for example. On MythTV, one HDHOMERUN tuner could record any or all of those 3. This means I am buying additional tuner since I ill be needing it. 
  • New Programs Screen (posted a thread about this)
  • Decent photo integration with MacOS Photos
  • 3D Top and Bottom format (HTAB) does not seem to work on Apple TV
  • Wildcard and other manual timers
  • Easier auto removal (and exclusion from removal) of recorded content
  • Automatic comercial detection and removal
  • Rescheduled failed recordings, ability to see which recordings failed too

Things I have gained:

• One client app (Emby) instead of several, therefore simplicity
  • Less bugs than Plex (only real bug is MacOS shutdown does not fully shut down emby)
  • Cloud Sync actually works, this is great as I use this extensively on trips
  • Much easier to get external input into the system, as opposed to MythTV
  • Metadata easier to manage and update
  • Runs perfectly on Roku, Plex was slower and did more transcoding
  • Emby runs better on IOS than Plex did
  • Emby is simpler than MythTV (though not as functional)
  • Emby seems more customizable
  • Hardware transcoding, far faster than Plex

Things I Loved:

• There was zero library or directory or other changes needed, just pointed emby to same directories I was pointed to in Plex for my content. Couldn't have been easier!
  • Having one less system to worry about and maintain
  • Actual responses to forum posts
  • Easy configuration

I did the one month Emby Premiere to make sure all was going to be ok, and it is, so, feel confident purchasing lifetime now. Great product. I am sure I missed some good things about Emby, but, the point is weighing what I lost and gained, I am ahead and staying. Am actually running separate emby servers. One is for live tv and dvr, the other is for our library of movies, shows, etc. Our library is ~5TB and sits on a 8 device hardware Raid array attached to Mac OSX via Thunderbolt. Our live tv/dvr emby server is sitting on an Intel NUC running Ubuntu 18.04.1 with nothing but 2 external drives mirrored. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
dranderson402

Having tried a number of media centers in the past, I was not expecting too much. Just the usual problems, hassles, etc. I had a setup that worked pretty well, MythTV (a *very* good DVR very rich with features), and, Plex. Things I am missing from Emby (at a minimum):

• MultiRec. We have channels 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 (OTA) for example. On MythTV, one HDHOMERUN tuner could record any or all of those 3. This means I am buying additional tuner since I ill be needing it. 

This actually does work in emby. I have 2 ota channels, 44.1 (CBS) and 44.2 (FOX), and when recording both channels at the same time I only use one of my hdhr tuners.

I will all add as a former mythtv user that I miss the auto removal and auto reschedule of failed recordings.

sfatula

This actually does work in emby. I have 2 ota channels, 44.1 (CBS) and 44.2 (FOX), and when recording both channels at the same time I only use one of my hdhr tuners.

Not working for me, just tuned 12.1 on one device, 12.2 on another, and, 2 tuners are busy in Emby. Same thing in mythtv uses one tuner. 

Not working for me, just tuned 12.1 on one device, 12.2 on another, and, 2 tuners are busy in Emby. Same thing in mythtv uses one tuner. 

What kind of tuner?

I think the friendly hd home run that we use doesn't support that, and that's why it uses two tuners. We'd probably have to do lower level bda support in order to have that.

sfatula

I think the friendly hd home run that we use doesn't support that, and that's why it uses two tuners. We'd probably have to do lower level bda support in order to have that.

But dranderson402 says it works for him? He also has a HDHR. Note it works fine on one tuner with mythtv and other services like nextpvr that support multirec. I am just confused by why he says it works for him?

Ok, i would expect this to use two tuners in this situation. Or rather, if you use a DLNA app to play HDHR channels, however many tuners that uses it what Emby would also use, because we are using the same api. Thanks.

sfatula

Ok, i would expect this to use two tuners in this situation. Or rather, if you use a DLNA app to play HDHR channels, however many tuners that uses it what Emby would also use, because we are using the same api. Thanks.

Still curious why then dranderson402 uses one tuner. Maybe this should go under feature requests then for Emby to support multirec just like most others DVRs do.

Just a note - we obviously strive to be as complete a solution as possible for all of these features but "most other DVRs" are exactly that - just DVRs so they are completely dedicated to that one function.  DVR is just one small piece of the entire Emby system (and not what we were originally designed for or even what the majority of our users use us for).

We hope to get on par with these other systems in all of these nitty gritty details but it will take us a bit to get there :).  Good news is that Channel Management and then more advanced DVR features are the two major items on our next to work on road map.

• Like 2

Are you sure that the two channels in question are in the same stream? It is entirely possible that they are not. Use the HDHR config tool to see where the channels are. I haven't checked everything but my local Fox station and the PBS station have them spread across 2 separate streams and I suspect others are as well.

sfatula

Are you sure that the two channels in question are in the same stream? It is entirely possible that they are not. Use the HDHR config tool to see where the channels are. I haven't checked everything but my local Fox station and the PBS station have them spread across 2 separate streams and I suspect others are as well.

100% sure. You are welcome to look yourself, zip code 74730. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Emby as it's really good at a lot of things. 

Edited by sfatula

Not sure where I would look for to prove anything for your zip. I just know my local PBS station has 2.1, 2.4, and 2.5 on one stream and 2.3, 2.6 on another. The Fox network has a similar spread with 9.1, 9.2 and  9.3 on one and 9.4, 9.5, 9.9 on another.

sfatula

Not sure where I would look for to prove anything for your zip. I just know my local PBS station has 2.1, 2.4, and 2.5 on one stream and 2.3, 2.6 on another. The Fox network has a similar spread with 9.1, 9.2 and  9.3 on one and 9.4, 9.5, 9.9 on another.

I understand, but they are the same stream. Works fine using any number of other DVRs. There are several places you can look online, but, not relevant, was more for tech support if they wanted to verify for themselves. 

20180927-16:28:50 Tuner: tuner0 tuning 12.2 KXIIMYT (8vsb:207MHz-2)

20180927-16:28:51 Tuner: tuner0 streaming http to 192.168.3.24:40363
20180927-16:28:54 Tuner: tuner1 tuning 12.1 KXIICBS (8vsb:207MHz-1)
20180927-16:28:55 Tuner: tuner1 streaming http to 192.168.3.24:35509

In my zip, we have 3 sets of multiplexed channels. It was kind of nice in MythTV and nextpvr since I could record, with 2 tuners, 6 channels at once. However, I added on a quatro so I could also start using Silicons Premium TV service. So, with 6 tuners now, not the end of the world, just should be supported IMHO.

Edited by sfatula

arrbee99

I freely admit I've just skimmed through this, I don't have a Homerun and I don't have these subgroup things (this 2.1, 2.4, 2.5 stuff), but was just wondering would it help to use NextPVR and the NextPVR plug-in in Emby at all, maybe, perhaps, possibly.

sfatula

I freely admit I've just skimmed through this, I don't have a Homerun and I don't have these subgroup things (this 2.1, 2.4, 2.5 stuff), but was just wondering would it help to use NextPVR and the NextPVR plug-in in Emby at all, maybe, perhaps, possibly.

It would help, since nextpvr supports multirec. I just simplified everything and no longer even have a Windows machine, and, don't want to run multiple products any more. I like the simplicity of Emby. Plex would not do it either. And of course, they will probably never add it being Plex. 

For those more curious, here's some background info on MultiRec:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/record_multiple_channels_from_one_multiplex

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=250533

dranderson402

Just seeing this and wondering if maybe the multistream support is for recording and not watching live tv? I've never tried watching live on two different tv's to check. I hardly ever watch anything live anymore.

dranderson402

Just did a quick test. Watched 44.1 live on one computer and 44.2 live on another computer. Checked my HDHR tuner status on both of my HDHR's. HDHR 1 wasn't using any tuners. HDHR 2 was using both tuners. So it appears live tv doesn't use multistream.

I don't have anything coming up in the near future where something will record on both 44.1 and 44.2 at the same time, but the last time I did (was a few versions ago) I did confirm only one tuner was in use.

sfatula

Just did a quick test. Watched 44.1 live on one computer and 44.2 live on another computer. Checked my HDHR tuner status on both of my HDHR's. HDHR 1 wasn't using any tuners. HDHR 2 was using both tuners. So it appears live tv doesn't use multistream.

I don't have anything coming up in the near future where something will record on both 44.1 and 44.2 at the same time, but the last time I did (was a few versions ago) I did confirm only one tuner was in use.

Aha, that could be it then. mythtv allowed both, but, it's not hard to envision where code might only be in one place for recording instead of both. I'll have to watch when the next time this happens, sadly a lot of shows ended recently and I don't have any coming up soon. It's far more important (to us at least) for the recordings. 2 people in the house, so, at most 2 live tv can be going and that's rare.