Increased number of pauses

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

Ok, I guess that's my answer. It doesn't necessarily correspond to having a pause. I'd really like to figure out why I get these pauses. I'll have to post the full server log and point you at the time frame. I'll try to remember to do that when I'm home.

Guest asrequested

So here's the log from today. I had some pauses this morning watching TV. Look at the 7am to 8am. I was watching on the shield.

There is a lot of dlna activity. If you are not using the server's dlna features you could try turning them off. Also the guide refreshed during playback it appeared. You may want to consider adjusting the scheduled for that.

Guest asrequested

There is a lot of dlna activity. If you are not using the server's dlna features you could try turning them off. Also the guide refreshed during playback it appeared. You may want to consider adjusting the scheduled for that.

Thanks Luke. I'll take a look at those

Guest asrequested

Just wanted to report. After disabling DLNA and changing the guide refresh schedule, I haven't had any pauses in the last few days. I suspect it might have been the guide refresh. So maybe that needs some tweaking?

I'll still keep an eye on it...

• Like 1

maegibbons

Just wanted to report. After disabling DLNA and changing the guide refresh schedule, I haven't had any pauses in the last few days. I suspect it might have been the guide refresh. So maybe that needs some tweaking?

I'll still keep an eye on it...

Your server is a beast though isnt it @ so surprising that a Guide Refresh would have such an influence unless locking out other processes?

Is this not a good reason for allowing "the option" for true Direct Playing from souce and not through the server? @@ebr ?

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Your server is a beast though isnt it @ so surprising that a Guide Refresh would have such an influence unless locking out other processes?

Is this not a good reason for allowing "the option" for true Direct Playing from souce and not through the server? @@ebr ?

Krs

Mark

from what I understood discussing this in relation to live tv (iptv) it’s an App Store licensing issue not a technical one

maegibbons

For IPTV possibly, but not HDHR local devices or other stored content.  And its the stored content that I am particularly concerned about from a server and networl load perspective.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

All the instances in this topic have been with Live TV.  Going direct to the tuner is maybe a possibility but we give up our tuner sharing capability then.

Guest asrequested

Krs

Mark

I don't think it has anything to do with work load. It's more like how it's managed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

Now that I'm using the MiBox again, I get a pause a few seconds after playback of live TV begins, then it plays ok. I haven't tested with beta sever, yet. Might there be improvement with the beta server? If not, do you need my server log?

This is just going to be the way the stream is being delivered to the app I'm pretty sure.

I think Luke is looking to improve this in the future. (see thread "IPTV starting too fast")

I'll add my two cents of what I've observed.

First I get this as well from time to time while viewing Live TV on a Shield TV.  I can also cause it to happen far more often.

Right now I've been converting my files from H.264/MP4 to H.265/MKV on a few computers.  I'm also doing this on my Emby server.

When this process is running anything Direct played (no ffmpeg involved) plays perfectly.  Anything requiring a remux such as LiveTV will pause often.  So in my case this is due to Emby getting starved of CPU cycles it needs for the remux.  I can set my background transcode to LOW setting via priority and it still happens.

Now with that said.  I've noticed without my background process running that there are processes in Emby that also affect this.  If the Guide is being refreshed it can happen.  If Roku images or chapter extractions are happening (ffmpeg based) it also happens.

If I set up a directory in Plex pointed to my Emby recordings and then play back an active Emby recording in the ShieldTV Plex client or just use VLC to playback the recording I get no pauses.

So for me the common thing that this has in common is that LiveTV needs to remux and is using ffmpeg which seems to be the culprit. Any playback not using ffmpeg plays back fine even under extreme CPU use on the server.  If we could eliminate the remux for devices that can play back the codecs already we could avoid many of these pauses.

Carlo

I'll add my two cents of what I've observed.

First I get this as well from time to time while viewing Live TV on a Shield TV.  I can also cause it to happen far more often.

Right now I've been converting my files from H.264/MP4 to H.265/MKV on a few computers.  I'm also doing this on my Emby server.

When this process is running anything Direct played (no ffmpeg involved) plays perfectly.  Anything requiring a remux such as LiveTV will pause often.  So in my case this is due to Emby getting starved of CPU cycles it needs for the remux.  I can set my background transcode to LOW setting via priority and it still happens.

Now with that said.  I've noticed without my background process running that there are processes in Emby that also affect this.  If the Guide is being refreshed it can happen.  If Roku images or chapter extractions are happening (ffmpeg based) it also happens.

If I set up a directory in Plex pointed to my Emby recordings and then play back an active Emby recording in the ShieldTV Plex client or just use VLC to playback the recording I get no pauses.

So for me the common thing that this has in common is that LiveTV needs to remux and is using ffmpeg which seems to be the culprit. Any playback not using ffmpeg plays back fine even under extreme CPU use on the server.  If we could eliminate the remux for devices that can play back the codecs already we could avoid many of these pauses.

Carlo

Good info.  Can you test this with the current server beta with the new throttling setting turned on to see if that makes a difference?

I'm running the beta of the Shield TV software as well as 3.6.0.40 beta on the server.

I have throttling turned on and I'm using hardware if needed but this shouldn't be used for Live TV to the Shield at all.

It's still happening but may not be as often.  I'll keep an eye on this and report back with the enhanced CPU load going on.

Carlo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

I just took the beta for a spin and this came back with a vengeance. Not only pausing, but picture break up, too. I had to dump it and switch back to release. I still get the occasional pause. This is with ExoPlayer. mpv seems to have less to none.

I just took the beta for a spin and this came back with a vengeance. Not only pausing, but picture break up, too. I had to dump it and switch back to release. I still get the occasional pause. This is with ExoPlayer. mpv seems to have less to none.

Live TV? Recorded TV? Movies ? 720? 1080p? 4K ?

How to report a problem

;)

Guest asrequested

Live TV? Recorded TV? Movies ? 720? 1080p? 4K ?

How to report a problem

;)

Lol...this thread is only for live TV. And I didn't have time to send logs.

I will say that the beta app in general was very buggy. For my purposes, it isn't very usable.

I will say that the beta app in general was very buggy. For my purposes, it isn't very usable.

Care to expand on that...?

Exactly what was "very buggy"?

Guest asrequested

Care to expand on that...?

Exactly what was "very buggy"?

Off the top of my head. The guide was very slow to load, and when it did, the show that was highlighted was not the same show in the preview/synopsis at the top of the page. Once you move it to another show then it changes at the top. General navigation was a bit twitchy. Not as smooth as the release. Playing tv with mpv didn't pause, only ExoPlayer. I can't think of anything else, right now.

mastrmind11

TL;DR Check your switch stats for indications of a broadcast storm and enable IGMP Snooping.

@, I've been experiencing pauses on live tv for the past couple of weeks.  It came out of nowhere, I'm literally at a loss for what could have changed, so I got rid of my unmanaged switch thinking it was on the fritz and hooked up a Unifi switch.  The problem actually got worse.  As it turns out (after a few days of research), certain devices were causing a broadcast storm on my network.  Adding the Unifi switch made it worse because the switch was actually trying to mitigate the storm by disabling ports being flooded.  After a couple more days researching I flipped on IGMP Snooping on the switch and the storm immediately died... and no more live tv pausing.

I'd be interested in seeing your switch stats, specifically the multicast packets transmitted and received by each port.  Both multicast Tx and Rx on my switch were almost equal, which was the red flag (multicast was being sent to every port and device on my network, saturating the network).  Now, because of IGMP Snooping, the switch filters out multicast and sends them to only the devices they're supposed to go to.

I read about IGMP Snooping on the Unifi forum (among others) of people who have IPTV services and were experiencing pauses.  Last place I looked of many, of course.

Guest asrequested

My devices are wireless, and I think I've disabled multicast. But it's been a while. I'll have to check it.

But thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look, when I get enough time.

mastrmind11

My devices are wireless, and I think I've disabled multicast. But it's been a while. I'll have to check it.

But thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look, when I get enough time.

Your AP is hard wired :)  And IGMP Snooping has no adverse effects otherwise.  Hope it helps.

Edited by mastrmind11