Increased number of pauses

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

Is it just me, or is anyone else having much more pausing with the new release. I used to only get occasional pausing on live TV, but now I'm getting not only more frequent pausing, but on everything! I haven't had a chance to send a log, yet. But I will when I can. This is with ExoPlayer, btw.

Sammy

What device?

I'm seeing pauses at start of playback sometimes on "lesser" Roku's and devices connected wirelessly. My wife complains about it more than I do but on my ShieldTV it is rock solid.

Okay, well, I think you know we'll need to see some specific information on an occurrence and then we can see if we can tell what's going on.

Thanks.

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I said I'll get the logs sent when I can. But it's happening with every type of video I've played. For the record, I've always had the pausing. Ever since I first started using the ATV app. It's never stopped, but this is much worse, now. I'm about ready bail on the whole thing. My patience with this is about run out. I knew I should have stuck to HTPCs.

CBers

That's sounds very similar, but I'm not on beta.

Looks like my issue is local, so probably not the same.

Guest asrequested

Well, I can't explain this. The problem got worse, to the point the app disconnected from the server, crashed, and the icon disappeared from the home screen. I put the icon back on the home screen and launched. This morning, I had no pausing. *shrug*

I'll keep an eye on it, and report if anything changes.

CBers

Well, I can't explain this. The problem got worse, to the point the app disconnected from the server, crashed, and the icon disappeared from the home screen. I put the icon back on the home screen and launched. This morning, I had no pausing. *shrug*

I'll keep an eye on it, and report if anything changes.

Direct Stream, or Transcoded/remuxed content ??

Have you tried connecting wirelessly ;)

Guest asrequested

It is connected wirelessly, and I was watching direct stream live TV. Live TV has always had pauses, so I'm curious about this.

CBers

It is connected wirelessly, and I was watching direct stream live TV. Live TV has always had pauses, so I'm curious about this.

OK, that missed you by :)

Your wireless better than your 10G network then ??

Guest asrequested

The 10G switch would have no improvement over the 1G, as the shield wouldn't support it, so the switch would just connect at 1G. It maight improve latency, I suppose. But it connects to the AP at higher bandwidth than the ATV app settings. I don't have any connectivity issues. I have thought about separating the radios so I can force connecting to the 5Ghz radio.

CBers

The 10G switch would have no improvement over the 1G, as the shield wouldn't support it, so the switch would just connect at 1G. It maight improve latency, I suppose. But it connects to the AP at higher bandwidth than the ATV app settings. I don't have any connectivity issues. I have thought about separating the radios so I can force connecting to the 5Ghz radio.

So Does @@ebr need to allow us to have a higher connection rate than 120 ?? Perhaps 150, 170 and 200 ??

Guest asrequested

So Does @@ebr need to allow us to have a higher connection rate than 120 ?? Perhaps 150, 170 and 200 ??

I don't think there are many that are above 120Mb/s. I don't have anything that high. But it's always good to exceed the demand.

And just to clarify for anyone that doesn't quite understand stream bandwidths. A gigabit ethernet connection massively exceeds any movie bitrate. Gigabit is around 125 mega BYTES/s. These movie bitrates are measured in mega BITS/s. That's eight times less. Comparing network bandwidth to movie bitrate bandwidths, is redundant.

But if the apps cap the data rates, that's another issue. There really should be an unlimited option, and let the network deal with it.

The app does not limit connection speed in any way.

The only thing we do is make decisions on what content to transcode down to a lower bitrate (based on settings or measured available bandwidth).

Guest asrequested

So if we set it to the highest option, does it still measure? Personally, I would like an unlimited option that would defeat the bandwidth test.

If you set it to anything other than Auto it just uses your setting.  It doesn't measure anything.

And, again, this only affects our decision of whether or not to transcode to a lower bitrate.

CBers

If you set it to anything other than Auto it just uses your setting.  It doesn't measure anything.

And, again, this only affects our decision of whether or not to transcode to a lower bitrate.

So Direct Streaming would use "unlimited" ??

So Direct Streaming would use "unlimited" ??

Not sure I understand the question.  By the time playback starts (regardless of method) the decision relating to this setting has already been made and the data comes over as fast as it is requested/is able to.

CBers

Not sure I understand the question.  By the time playback starts (regardless of method) the decision relating to this setting has already been made and the data comes over as fast as it is requested/is able to.

So if no transcoding/remuxing taking place, the transfer speed is "unlimited" ??

Otherwise, it is limited by the setting, or AUTO ??

So if no transcoding/remuxing taking place, the transfer speed is "unlimited" ??

Otherwise, it is limited by the setting, or AUTO ??

No.  The transfer speed is always unlimited.

Guest asrequested

If you set it to anything other than Auto it just uses your setting. It doesn't measure anything.

So if I set it to the maximum, and I play something that exceeds that number, what happens?

So if I set it to the maximum, and I play something that exceeds that number, what happens?

The content will be transcoded down to whatever you set as the max.

But that will not affect the transfer speed of the network at all.  Just the payload that is delivered.