Playlist item limit question

shimmerknight

shimmerknight

Just a question on the number of items a playlist can contain with regards to a music playlist in this case.  

Is there a limit of 200 items for a music playlist?

I'm asking because if I go one song over 200 abnormal playback will happen, at least in the browser(Edge, IE).  At some point in the list, clicking an item will cause the next item in the list to play.  If I continue to add more songs it will continue to skew the playback by the number of items over the 200 point until I get towards the bottom of the list than it will start playing the first song.  

The now playing does correctly display the item that is playing.

• Like 1

FrostByte

My main playlist has over 2000 songs and works.  The shuffle has a limit I know and only randomly picks out a certain number of songs for now playing (can't remember if it's 100 or 200 songs).  I never use play all of course because I would never hear any of the songs at the end of my list. 

I've seen in the past where if I accidently had a song in my list twice it would cause something like the issue you describe.  Every time I clicked on a song after the duplicate it would play the song after the one I clicked

shimmerknight

Yes i know about the duplicate bug.  I was recreating a playlist in part because of that bug when I noticed the issue mentioned above.  

Thanks  

FrostByte

My bad.  I haven't used the web clients much lately for playing music, but yes I'm seeing the same thing in both IE and Chrome.  I have two very large playlists and they both play the first song in the playlist when I click a song toward the end of the playlist.  I don't see this though when clicking a song toward the beginning.  200 is about the point where it starts messing up.

I'm not seeing this with the Samsung or Windows store clients though which is what I normally use.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Here are the steps I used

Opened my Christmas playlist with Chrome

Clicked the song "Little Drummer Boy" which is toward end of playlist with 600+ songs

You can see at the bottom it starts to play "White Christmas" which is the first song in the playlist.

5b4249bae65b1_play2.jpg

When I click Now Playing it also shows "White Christmas"

5b424ad3d0fb9_play3.jpg

It's just not playing the song you click on after so many into a playlist (~200).  Everything is good toward the beginning.

@shimmerknight is correct that it seems like the further down from 200 the worse problem is and the further down the list it starts from where you clicked.  For instance if you click song 200 it may start playing song 201, if you click song 300 it may play song 350, etc until eventually the playlist is so long and the gap between what you clicked and what actually plays gets so big that it just wraps around and plays the first song all the time

Edited by FrostByte

shimmerknight

My bad.  I haven't used the web clients much lately for playing music, but yes I'm seeing the same thing in both IE and Chrome.  I have two very large playlists and they both play the first song in the playlist when I click a song toward the end of the playlist.  I don't see this though when clicking a song toward the beginning.  200 is about the point where it starts messing up.

I'm not seeing this with the Samsung or Windows store clients though which is what I normally use.

It does affect the android phone client.  Though I imagine most people hit shuffle with their playlist and would never notice this.