Scrolling not possible in web client on FireTV

level20peon

level20peon

If this is not the correct forum for the webclient (ref: https://emby.media/emby-web-client.html) please move the topic accordingly.

I am trying to use emby via web client on a Fire TV but ran into navigation issues. To be more exact, there are two distinct problems:

1) The scroll buttons in the main screen are never visible (see attached "arrow.png" to see which buttons I am referring to). First I suspected that the FireTV SILC / FireFox Browsers just don't support specific Javascript events when moving the cursor to the edge of the browser window. But even when I apply CSS like

.scrollbuttoncontainer{
display: block !important;
}

... the buttons still aren't displayed at all. (They are displayed permanently on desktop browsers after applying that CSS)

2) Scrolling in the Live TV Guide isn't possible at all, since neither dragging the cursor to the horizontal/vertical edge of the list initiates scrolling and also no scrollbars are shown (see attached "scrollbar.png" to see which bars I am referring to).

Are those known issues? I couldn't find anything in any document/wiki about emby that contained minimum requirements for browsers (Javascript / CSS wise).

I am using emby server 3.3.1.0 on FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE but couldn't find any hint about such issues being fixed in the meantime inside the changelogs. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

So, does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

post-324861-0-45738100-1529581655_thumb.png

post-324861-0-80576100-1529581661_thumb.png

Edited by level20peon

level20peon

I tried the FireTV app but found it cluttered and not better in terms of usability than the browser version.

The Emby Theater web app seems to be hosted by you (?), so that's totally out of the question.

Also, I am using emby on various other browser based system, so I am aspiring to unify the experience on all devices.

Even if the web app is not designed for TV devices, there is in fact a mouse cursor available on the FireTV version of FireFox as well as in SILK. This (and the fact that the CSS change mentioned above does not seem to do anything) made me wonder why the scrollbars / buttons aren't displayed at any rate. I am fine with using an interface which some might consider clumsy because you have to somehow control the cursor. So in my oppinion some technical aspect of the Browser itself or the CSS / Javascript used in emby is the cause of the problems I described above, rather than the fact that the browser is displayed on a TV.

With all that said, does anybody have a hint on a technical basis, which might help me get this to work?

Edited by level20peon

By the way, in the Emby theater web app, only the html is hosted by us. The app runs directly on your device and all communication is direct from your device to your server.

Hi.  Can you please describe exactly what you thought was "cluttered" in the Fire TV app?

Thanks!

level20peon

By the way, in the Emby theater web app, only the html is hosted by us. The app runs directly on your device and all communication is direct from your device to your server.

So where can I download it? By that logic there's no need for it being hosted remotely when I would only use it locally anyways.

Hi.  Can you please describe exactly what you thought was "cluttered" in the Fire TV app?

Thanks!

I already removed it a few weeks ago so I wouldn't be able to give exact details right now. All I remember at this point is that it seemed less nice than the browser based webinterface.

Anyways, can we stay on topic? I get the feeling that both of you are trying to push away from the initial question

1) Are there specific technical requirements to the webbrowser which displays the emby webclient?

2) What might cause the behaviour I described in my OP?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited by level20peon

Anyways, can we stay on topic? I get the feeling that both of you are trying to push away from the initial question

Hi.  The answer to your initial question is that you are trying to use an app for a purpose for which it was not designed.  So we are trying to find a better alternative for you.