conversion settings

davz289

davz289

Are there configurable settings somewhere for the new convert feature?  

I've been experimenting with that feature for converting my recorded TV shows, and I'm wondering if there are any settings buried anywhere outside of selecting either "Universal Mobile" or "Universal TV" from the options menu.

Also, I've tried using both the "Universal Mobile" and "Universal TV" option, and the encodes come out identical, so I'm not sure what this selection is doing.  

Thanks.

What settings are you looking for? Sometimes the output between those two profiles will be the same. It just depends on what the input format it.

davz289

The settings I am most interested in are the audio streams and the container. On the audio side I was thinking about adding a second stream to get better compatibility across my devices. Right now with the AAC 5.1 audio my Rokus are down-mixing to stereo. In the past I've used two audio streams - the first being the AAC audio and the second a pass-though (DD or DTS).  While that does increase the file size, it seemed to be a good middle ground for me to get a reasonable audio/video combo that worked well across my mobile (iOS devices) and the Rokus. I think some of the newer Rokus may be starting to support the AAC 5.1 from what I've read on some posts, but I haven't explored that much as of now.  On the container side I thought it would be nice to specify which one its targeting - I typically use MP4 to get the dual compatibility I described above, but I know under the "Universal TV" option it may target MKV or MP4. Right now all the encodes seem to be coming out in MP4, but I don't if/when that would change.

More out of curiosity I was wondering what type of video quality settings, deinterlacing filters, etc. the process was using. Just for fun I tried converting some of the same recorded TV shows using Handbrake with settings that I thought would be pretty similar to those in the convert feature, and it took significantly longer in Handbrake. So kudos to the Emby team, but it made me wonder what the differences might be.

Thanks.